Need a new pair of cowboy work boots

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haboob

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
And yes there are plenty out there, but I notice the new thing is square toes. I don't like them, they look silly and not great for riding either. My good boots are all the snip toe variety and they don't make those for work boots, but there has got to be a modified toe somewhere between a snip toe and a square toe.

Any ideas where to look?

And yes there are plenty out there, but I notice the new thing is square toes. I don't like them, they look silly and not great for riding either. My good boots are all the snip toe variety and they don't make those for work boots, but there has got to be a modified toe somewhere between a snip toe and a square toe.

Any ideas where to look?
I will PM you with the number of a place I've taken my boots. Claud will at least let you know what your options are.

@haboob I've worn boots all my life, but I've never heard of a "snip toe". I'm sure it's something that I have a different name for. I always used to recommend the Justin work boots, the roper style ones with the thick soles and rounded toe. Wore 'em for years, but they changed them a bit and they don't work for my feet any more...

A snip toe is kinda pointy, Looks good for regular wear but not great for work. I bought a pair of HH last year......nice boots, great quality, really hard to break in though.

My last 'good' pair of work boots were Ariats...they've been great but are all washed up after a few years of daily hard work, but they don't make them any more....

After my thyroid quit a few years ago, my ankles and legs swelled up somewhat (a whole lot until I started taking levothyroxine) and I had to stop wearing boots.

I've been to several western stores in the area, but I can't get any of them to fit properly. I have been thinking of going to a bootmaker to have some made to fit, but I understand that can be really expensive.

I have heard that there are some boots with extra wide shafts, but I guess I haven't seen any in my size. I really hate to buy something on-line without trying it on first. I've tried Cavenders and Boot Barn in Amarillo, Aladino Boots in Dumas, and Wayne's Western Wear in Pampa as well as a two Tractor Supply and two Big R stores.

To be honest, I could do okay without western boots, but after one of my neighbors was bitten by a rattlesnake a couple of years ago, I want something to reduce the chances of getting bitten. I have had plenty of encounters with rattlesnakes including falling on one, but haven't been bitten. The only snake that has actually bitten me was a bullsnake I was playing with when I was in junior high. I never did tell my parents about that.

The neighbor's bills included something like $61,000 to be airlifted to Amarillo, a $3,000 ambulance ride from the airport to the hospital, and $204,000 treatment at the hospital.

He now wears snake gaiters that he built himself -- out of aluminum!

I have been told by several people that rubber boots work quite well. I've never liked them much because of how hot they get inside.

Oddly enough, a loose pair of bib overalls might be enough. I have several pairs of those. My younger brother was working on a plow once and felt something hit his leg a couple of times. He looked down out of curiosity and saw that it was a rattlesnake. The rattlesnake was aiming at the legs of the overalls and not going in far enough to reach his legs.

I have also looked for really warm winter boots, but haven't found any that will fit.

On the question of square toes, I don't like them either. I prefer a rounded toe. If I still rode horses, square towed boots would be out of the question, but since we don't have cattle any more on the farm and the West Nile Virus killed the last horse we had, we don't have any horses now.

I guess lace up boots would still work. I was over at one cowboy's home on Saturday afternoon and noticed that's what he wears now.

Another possibility is some snake-proof gaiters. But not made out of aluminum.

I don't know much about boots but my husband swears by his White's. He's had them for years, logging up in MT and they held up well.

@billyjack there are several western style lace ups that are very good quality. Ive had both Justin and Chippewa. The Chippewa packer boots are superb, with extremely thick, durable oiled leather. But they have a tall riding heel and my feet and back can't do tall heels anymore so I don't wear them now. Rocky makes some good ones too.

Send Frodo a PM. If he can make a boot purse maybe he can make the whole boot. He made a holster for me. The quality was very good, and the price was very reasonable.

Last edited:
Send Frodo a PM. If he can make a boot purse maybe he can make the whole boot. He made a holster for me. The quality was vert good, and the price was very reasonable.
NOPE, Never have tried to make a pair of boots. But I do have a friend that can/will make you a pair of boots
I prefer a flat bottom, no heel work boot, Seems to more comfortable if you are on your feet for long hours, also easier to knock mud off if you spend time outdoors

I've been wearing the same brand and style of boots for many, many years. They are Justin Stampede style # 2551. VERY durable and comfortable, and the are very repetitive in their sizing. I've been wearing my current pair for a little over 5 years, and I'm just now considering replacing them with a new pair. And I wear these boots every day on concrete, in the dirt and mud, you name it. Here they are on Amazon for a very good price:

I've been wearing the same brand and style of boots for many, many years. They are Justin Stampede style # 2551. VERY durable and comfortable, and the are very repetitive in their sizing. I've been wearing my current pair for a little over 5 years, and I'm just now considering replacing them with a new pair. And I wear these boots every day on concrete, in the dirt and mud, you name it. Here they are on Amazon for a very good price:
I wore redwing pull on boots for years with the flat soles then switched to a sears brand called Diehard
wore them for 10 years. then while working out of town, I stepped on a cherry, that is a red glowing metal that was cut out witha torch,
emergency run to wally world and bought a pair of wolverines. i was surprised the boot is very comfortable

I wore redwing pull on boots for years with the flat soles then switched to a sears brand called Diehard
wore them for 10 years. then while working out of town, I stepped on a cherry, that is a red glowing metal that was cut out witha torch,
emergency run to wally world and bought a pair of wolverines. i was surprised the boot is very comfortable
I find that Wolverines are very comfortable, but for railroad work I only get 8 or 9 months out of them before the start to come apart. I've never had western style ones though.

Any ideas where to look?

Well...

Both styles of boot have their place.

The pointy-toed ones are so you can squish the cockroaches that retreat into the corners of the kitchen floor and the square-toed ones are good for iron horse riding.

What type of work are you doing?

Do you need steel toes?

The sky is the limit, quality and pricewise.

I used to wear Red Wing Pecos; however, I don't believe they make them anymore.

These have some western style, and they are a slightly modified square-toe like you were requesting.

Double H Men's Aberdeen Western Work Boots - Soft Toe

The sole looks like it is actually stitched to the welt rather than just glued.

If that is true, and you are able to find an old-school repair shop, you can possibly have the soles replaced if they wear out before the uppers. A good cobbler can replace the welt as well, as anyone that has been around livestock knows, urine and manure rot leather pretty quick.

Kinda funny that.

Once you pull the leather bag off the cattle, it can't stand exposure to the barnyard anymore.

1656833445196.png

The screwy thing is that cockroaches are rare around here!

I wonder if it is too dry for them. (It's so dry around here that one day I was driving down a dirt road after a rain, slipping and sliding a bit, and leaving a dust cloud behind me.)

One night when I was a freshman in college and saw all the cockroaches around the door to the dorm at night, I asked what they were. Everyone was incredulous that I had never seen one and had absolutely no idea what they were.

I've heard rumors that there are some homes in my county that have cockroaches, but I've been in quite a few homes across the county and have never seen a cockroach in any of them. If there really are cockroaches in scattered homes, they don't seem to spread from house to house.

These used to be really good, long lasting work boots, if you wanted a lace up western style boot. I haven't worn them for years because they have a smooth bottom which doesn't work as well for my job as an aggressive tread. So I'm not sure if the quality is still as high as it used to be.
Screenshot_20220713-115842_Chrome.jpg

If you can find them, these are some of the heaviest, toughest western boots ever. I had a pair that I wore for years and were still in good condition but as my feet changed they no longer fit me right. They're probably the best boots I've ever owned but they've been discontinued so either have to be bought used or you have to find them in the back corner of some little shop somewhere. Chippewa packer boots...
Screenshot_20220713-121634_Chrome.jpg

Back