Need advice/help with cistern level controls/float/switch

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That system would probably work, but it has a bunch of electronics in it. that would be hard to trouble shoot in a pinch, the system you have now can be manually overridden
First step is to check your connections at the switch. can you post a picture of the switch showing the wiring and the point blocks. Do you own a volt meter?

The switch on the cistern controls the compressor to fill the cistern , Correct ? in which case the float dropping would trigger the compressor motor.
Or is that float switch to disconnect the jet pump in case of too low of water level. ?

Last edited:
Yes. I don't have good pictures of the wiring. My brother took a video but I don't know how helpful it would be.
I'm hoping a wire came loose. Although, sometimes the wires get burned. Hoping the switch is not broken. But if it is, I'll have to order a new one or the other one I linked. I know its more to go wrong, but I'm tired of having to deal with float issues. Of course, next I'd be dealing with sensor issue. LOL.

The switch also acts like a junction box for the jet pump. I'm seriously thinking of adding a toggle switch somewhere inline to the jet pump so I can shut it off independently of the other pump in case I want power on for one but not the other.

The switch looks like a square D to me , in which case the contact sets would be the same as in a square D pressure switch, the pressure switch should be cheaper and more available due to the volume sold.
Each side of the contact set opens and closes that circuit, the wires on the close to the camera side look like they may at least be loose, stranded wire should be tightly twisted before it is used in a screw tab, they are designed for solid core wire.

Yes. It is a square D float lever switch.
The problem is, the pressure switch works by sensing pressure from its base. This lever works with a float. I have no idea how I would set a pressure switch to detect water height. The trigger mechanism for them is different. This one operates by having a rod with nuts above and below the arm with a float inside the tank. When the water gets below a certain level the float drops & the nut pushes down on the arm which triggers the pump to turn on. When the bottom nut pushes the arm back up when water is high enough, it triggers the pump to turn off. But it keeps jamming and not turning the water off. Which is why I want to go with a sensor switch with controller to simplify things a bit. No worrying about a float getting stuck or the lever arm not moving.
I've had problems with the wires burning out before though.

I was refering to the contact components, they are removable, and should be able to fit the level switch, I still think that a simple pump up floating switch would solve the problem easiest, or 2 of them, one to turn on the compressor, and the other to as a safety for the jet pump

Turned out there was a loose screw. But we still want to move to a different system so the float lever doesn't get jammed again.

Latest posts

Back