Need cat lovers input

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
It's no secret that I'm not much of a cat fan.
So I need some help .
Can somebody explain why this tomcat stays within 2 ft of me , wherever I go. I never have paid any attention to him.
He only does this with me.
He constantly runs about 3 ft directly in front of me , stops , lays on his back and rolls. If I go to the barn ...he does it all the way there. I have to be careful not to step on him.

What's the deal with him.
I'm starting to like him a little.

Jim

Last edited:
But why ??

I don't like cats . Can't they sense that.

They are too sneaky.

Jim
They already own everyone else, you are the only holdout, so they are working on you.
Seems to be working
biggrin.gif

Our friend had a cat like that. Beware, even I liked that cat. Another friend saw me petting that cat and almost fainted. I am renown across the State for my dislike of cats.

Wild guess

I believe he is try to get his scent glans on you. Maybe some moth balls clipped to hem of your pants?

Ben
A Google search on Cat deterent scent returns;

"
Repellents: Cats have very keen senses of smell and taste, and commercial repellents are available to discourage unwanted cats. Natural repellents to sprinkle on flowerbeds or gardens include moth balls, ammonia soaked rags, ground mustard, cayenne pepper, citrus peels, coffee grounds, and citrus-based sprays.
"

I think cats behave that way to get you to rub their belly and get their scent glands on you to mark you as part of their territory. Rubbing their heads on your leg is the same thing since they have scent glands on their heads.

Try one of those things listed in the Google search I quoted to see if that can deter him.

There are commercial products also available but if coffee grounds rubbed into the legs of your pants or a citrus based spray cleaner may be enough.

Ben

A Google search on Cat deterent scent returns;

"
Repellents: Cats have very keen senses of smell and taste, and commercial repellents are available to discourage unwanted cats. Natural repellents to sprinkle on flowerbeds or gardens include moth balls, ammonia soaked rags, ground mustard, cayenne pepper, citrus peels, coffee grounds, and citrus-based sprays.
"

I think cats behave that way to get you to rub their belly and get their scent glands on you to mark you as part of their territory. Rubbing their heads on your leg is the same thing since they have scent glands on their heads.

Try one of those things listed in the Google search I quoted to see if that can deter him.

There are commercial products also available but if coffee grounds rubbed into the legs of your pants or a citrus based spray cleaner may be enough.

Ben
Be careful with this advice. Rub coffee grounds on your pants and I might start rubbing up against your legs.

They also know when people are allergic to them and cling to them. Maybe he stays close because he is a cat. He knows you don't like cats so will stay close to you just to annoy you into liking him 😂
Or you could just go with "it's your magnetic personality." 😁

Cat knows you are King of Putter Hill. He wants to see what you're into, whatchya doin', he's wondering if he's the next to go since other Fido left.
He's a pretty kitty, so is the other one.
Cats can be territorial against humans too, to protect your kingdom.
Seen many rats, voles, or mice? Maybe he's doing more than you realize.

As others have said he likes you. Cats are known for claiming a human as theirs and doing everything in their power to make you do their bidding. He is trying to win you to the darkside.

We have 5 cats and even the dogs are their goons.

That reminds me... I have to add canned rabbit to the pet shopping list.

Last edited:
Cats come around when a person needs them. They know. Rub it's belly.

Most people would argue that rubbing a cat's belly will cause you to lose a hand but I agree with you. If they let you pet their belly they trust you to the ends of the earth. I have a semi feral cat who only lets K and I pet her but with only one hand at a time. I am the only one who can pick her up and even rub her belly. I do have my share of scars from her when she was younger.

Our neighbor's cat, that we call Jayrod, will throw him self over like the cat at Phideaux's place and let us pet his belly. Of course it helps that I give him chicken or tuna every day. He's on our porch right now. Likes to strut up the walker ramp to our porch really slowly so the dogs see him and bark at him.

I don't think anyone would like how I love cats... :)

Try me.

Years ago the guys were talking about the evil things they did to cats as a youth. One guy walked up and injected "Cats, I like cats. They taste like chicken.

Ben

Don't ask my dad about 'Fling Kitty'

I love cats best when substituted in pulled pork recipes. They are also good in soups and stews but you have to cube them because they are so stringy. They do NOT taste like chicken. They have a very strong flavor that is best remedied by boiling for a couple of hours and then drain the water off and grill the meat in olive oil to brown it. Then barbecue or cube for a soup or stew. I will say they are easy to transport as long as you have the right carrier;
CatCarrier.jpg

I found today , they take off if I go to whistling real loud.

I mean they hit the road running.

😆😆

Jim

They think you are calling the dog. Our cats run for the hills when K whistles for the pups.

It's no secret that hat I'm not much of a cat fan.
So I need some help .
Can somebody explain why this tomcat stays within 2 ft of me , wherever I go. I never have paid any attention to him.
He only does this with me.
He constantly runs about 3 ft directly in front of me , stops , lays on his back and rolls. If I go to the barn ...he does it all the way there. I have to be careful not to step on him.

What's the deal with him.
I'm starting to like him a little.

Jim

Cats can be nice Jim. Looks like your finding that out.:peace:.

Latest posts

Back