Need cat lovers input

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a cat show up back in Jan. The sweetest thing. She helped take care of my pup when she was itty bitty and will come when you call. She has even defended a couple of week old chicks from a raven when they got out of their pen.

The only problem is that our mastiffs want to eat her.

Lol. You have just become a cat person.
Sorry Jim but you might as well admit it. You love him.
It's nothing to be ashamed of, can happen to any good hearted person. Soon he'll be sleeping at the foot of your bed.

Mag

I don't like how they act like they're the boss.
And, they sneak around and watch you .
Hide and seek.

Always rubbing you.

They can't even bark to warn you.

Eh

Jim

Last edited:
You are 100% a cat person now. Just go with it and enjoy it. Welcome to the club.
They act like the boss because they are the boss.
That may be true but there is no need to rub it in.

;)

Sea Story Time

I was consulting for a company in Jerusalem back in 2010 and was walking around in the evening after work when I spotted a dumpster on the other side of the street. Being a life long dumpster diver, I crossed the street to take a look inside. As I did I noticed 3 feral cats on the lip of the dumpster that appeared to interested in something in the dumpster. I figured they were watching a mouse.

I looked in and (queue the Hitchcock scary music) saw a sea of writhing fur. The dumpster was full of cats. Freaked me out!

There were cats under every bush and krook and nanny you looked.

I feel for you Jim!

Ben

Hide and seek.

Always rubbing you.

Eh

Jim

They can warn you of danger. When we lived in the cabin in the mountains I heard a very odd cat growl/hiss coming from the back of the cabin near Roo's room. I went to check it out and found one of the old cats growling at a bear that was sitting outside Roo's patio door sniffing the air. She was all kinds of upset about the bear and wanted the whole house to know about the invader. I shut the door to Roo's room to keep Roo from seeing the bear and to stop the growling. I did end up carrying my shotgun around the house the rest of the day until I knew the bear was gone.

Hide and seek.

Always rubbing you.

Eh

Jim
If my male cat is nowhere to be seen I know to beware because something ain't right. He'll hide if a stranger is around or anything is wrong.
Not the same as a barking dog but hey, it's a cat... Sneaky

Mag

Went for a long walk around the farm this evening.
Dang now he has taught the other one , his sister or brother , to do the same thing.
Now I got 2 of them doing it.
It's hard to walk.

Geeeeze

Jim

Next time you plan a walk around the farm open a can of tuna or cat food and wait for them to start feasting. Now that they are busy enjoy the walk.

Bad news, you have been adopted. Weren't looking for it, maybe don't want it, but you get used to it :)

1601817882621.png

I'm not a big cat fan myself. We had a pure black cat show up at our doorstep 11 years ago come Halloween night (what are the odds of an all black kitten showing up on that particular night?)

The wife was all "awwwwe look at the kitten"......................sigh. I couldn't get it to come to me so I got a hotdog out of the fridge and tossed little pieces down inching closer with each piece until I could grab him.

For 11 years he has been a pretty good cat, he is sociable which I find most cats not to be. We had him fixed and he just hangs out at home mostly in the house. Good mouser too.

Other than having to teach our Mals the "leave it" command, it's been smooth sailing lol.

One sorta mistake we made is we named him Spook (for pretty obvious reasons to us, black cat...Halloween), and he comes to Spookers. The comments that some folks made made me sad.

If he would just not get so close to me.

If he is close and you can step on his tail gently, just enough to send a signal (it might take a few times) he may learn to keep a little distance. At least enough so he doesn't get tangled up in your feet.

You have been adopted, lol.

I just had to have our black cat put down. He was 16 years old and he had a lot of medical problems.
When we got him, my wife named him Coco because he was brown. She said she would never have a black cat because they are unlucky. I just went along with her but that cat was as black as it could be.

I'm not a big cat fan myself. We had a pure black cat show up at our doorstep 11 years ago come Halloween night (what are the odds of an all black kitten showing up on that particular night?)

The wife was all "awwwwe look at the kitten"......................sigh. I couldn't get it to come to me so I got a hotdog out of the fridge and tossed little pieces down inching closer with each piece until I could grab him.

For 11 years he has been a pretty good cat, he is sociable which I find most cats not to be. We had him fixed and he just hangs out at home mostly in the house. Good mouser too.

Other than having to teach our Mals the "leave it" command, it's been smooth sailing lol.

One sorta mistake we made is we named him Spook (for pretty obvious reasons to us, black cat...Halloween), and he comes to Spookers. The comments that some folks made made me sad.

We have a pure black cat as well. She is 14 years old come Halloween and we named her Bailey. She is a sweetie except when it comes to males. She hates tom cats even though she is fixed. She also thinks K needs some behavior adjustment and has peed on him in his sleep when she wanted to be fed. She is feisty but a good mouser as well.

I truly am allergic to cats. They can cause real health issues for me. I don't really dislike them, they are animals and I even have a bit of respect for cats in general. They are quiet, patient, and dedicated hunters and I respect that. When we go hunting my brother transforms into a cat as soon as we get off the trail and begin to hunt. It's weird but he hunts just like a cat. Me? I'm a big old bear. Big, noisy and wait for an animal that wants to be my dinner.

My lovebug tomcat, Sebastian, became my love when I was pregnant with Roo. He and another tom we had at the time loved my big belly and the vibrations it made when Roo kicked. Seb would sleep on my snoodle pillow with his paws on my belly while I laid in bed. He did this well after Roo was born and only stopped when Roo was a toddler and would climb into bed with me in the mornings. He started up again when I was pregnant with Juju. He hasn't stopped. In fact the girls' kitten, Turkish, who is Seb's companion does it now too! They lay on my body pillow with their paws on me while I sleep. The kitten, Basil, I got after my miscarriage also slept on me with Seb. He was a sweetie too. It is sad he was a sick cat from the beginning but he had a good life with us for his short time on earth.

Kitty is not doing so well today. Hasn't jumped up on to any furniture. She was "fine" last night and interested in furniture movings, doors opening, ran up and down the hallway...even gave her scratching post a good going over.

Today she's acting disinterested in everything and is in my room on the floor under my work table against the wall. She usually jumps up on the chair and gets on the table so she can watch birds and squirrels out the window and sniff the breeze. I tried to pick her up but she said no thanks. Hope she feels better soon. She is older than I realize. Maybe 10.

our cat Dory doesn't like any of the phone company guys/girls, she will growl at them all, which in turn gets our dog barking lol, Dory is a very grumpy cat, even my wife and my friends see that. as for you Jim, I think your becoming attracted to the dark side aka starting to maybe like a certain cat. lol

Well I do miss my dog..
I have taken to walking more seriously lately .

That tomcat is only ,8 months old and walks with me all the way around the farm.

Like a dog.
But he ain't got his nose to the ground hunting constantly.

I guess it's ok if that's what he wants to do.
He doesn't follow the golf cart though.

Jim

Well I do miss my dog..
I have taken to walking more seriously lately .

That tomcat is only ,8 months old and walks with me all the way around the farm.

Like a dog.
But he ain't got his nose to the ground hunting constantly.

I guess it's ok if that's what he wants to do.
He doesn't follow the golf cart though.

Jim
Seems it wants to fill the void.

Ben

our cat Dory doesn't like any of the phone company guys/girls, she will growl at them all, which in turn gets our dog barking lol, Dory is a very grumpy cat, even my wife and my friends see that. as for you Jim, I think your becoming attracted to the dark side aka starting to maybe like a certain cat. lol

We lost our Dory last spring (2019). Sweet loving 13+ year old abandoned black cat we only adopted because we were her foster family and when her adopted family didn't want her any more (they wanted a kitten) she came back to us- the people she knew and trusted. She was sick that last few months and the vet told us cancer. She went silently in her sleep.

Latest posts

Back