Need cat lovers input

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's no secret that I'm not much of a cat fan.
So I need some help .
Can somebody explain why this tomcat stays within 2 ft of me , wherever I go. I never have paid any attention to him.
He only does this with me.
He constantly runs about 3 ft directly in front of me , stops , lays on his back and rolls. If I go to the barn ...he does it all the way there. I have to be careful not to step on him.

What's the deal with him.
I'm starting to like him a little.

Jim

Cats pick their humans. He picked you. He wouldn't have done that if you aren't a good person.

Well Catman Do, hows it going wwith the caats these days,need pictures.

I don't know where the other 2 are but Duncan is laying on back porch. He's about 1 1/2 years old now.
He's my shadow that I'm constantly tripping over.
IMG_20210328_121952416.jpg

Jim

That fits...Dudley Doolittle..... Just like a cat.

Looks just like you Phideaux. You could be twins. No wonder he loves you. Jayrod follows me to feed the chickens every morning. Kevin only comes with me if I forgot to feed him first. Having problem with the two, though. Jayrod has been getting very lovey dovey with Kevin on the porch. Husband has taken to calling them the gay boys, and other things I won't mention. Is this normal?

I started training our cats again. Our little Alice is being stubborn. She refuses to train with other "who-mans" in the room. But I'll be damned if she isn't the perfect performer when it is just me!

Looks just like you Phideaux. You could be twins. No wonder he loves you. Jayrod follows me to feed the chickens every morning. Kevin only comes with me if I forgot to feed him first. Having problem with the two, though. Jayrod has been getting very lovey dovey with Kevin on the porch. Husband has taken to calling them the gay boys, and other things I won't mention. Is this normal?

Neutered toms are affectionate with each other. My pair sleep together and groom each other. But no hanky-panky. Sebastian was like this with our other siamese male, Basil, before he passed. Seb wasn't as cuddly with Jamison but Jamie was K's little man. He got his man-love from K.

I have seen toms become the best of friends in queer ways (neutered of course) but not all toms bond like this. Litter mates will have this bond. I see it more with breeds that want attention more than others like siamese. Our boys are siamese mixes so they want to be with me 24/7 but the girls (Roo and Juju) scare them so they settle for each other.

I've had un-neutered male cats that got along well. They would hug each other and groom each other and were best friends. I've found that female cats tend to become more antisocial as they get older though. Not all of them do, but some decide they don't want any other cats around. The mother of my two ginger cats would try to chase off other cats. My smallest cat is a firecracker. She's usually pretty nice & friendly with other cats, but one of the males sprayed her & she beat the stuffing out of him. He's twice her size but is terrified of her. He constantly fights with other male cats but he's afraid of the small cat because of her attitude.
I currently have 10 cats in here with me now. The one who sprayed the small one is actually curled up against her because she's being nice. Most of them will get along if they want to cuddle with me. Only a couple will still get hostile with the others while cuddling me.

I've had un-neutered male cats that got along well. They would hug each other and groom each other and were best friends. I've found that female cats tend to become more antisocial as they get older though. Not all of them do, but some decide they don't want any other cats around. The mother of my two ginger cats would try to chase off other cats. My smallest cat is a firecracker. She's usually pretty nice & friendly with other cats, but one of the males sprayed her & she beat the stuffing out of him. He's twice her size but is terrified of her. He constantly fights with other male cats but he's afraid of the small cat because of her attitude.
I currently have 10 cats in here with me now. The one who sprayed the small one is actually curled up against her because she's being nice. Most of them will get along if they want to cuddle with me. Only a couple will still get hostile with the others while cuddling me.

We have 5 cats right now. Our oldest, Bailey, at 14 never got along with other cats. She likes dogs. She tolerates the other 2 girl cats but the boys can go to hell as far as she is concerned. The other girls get along with everyone in the house. The youngest (11) Alice, is the sister to Sebastian. They are the typical siblings with playfulness and grooming but then they fight. She is a tortie who wants to eat rather than move.

Bailey has chosen to live strictly down stairs while the other 4 will sleep on me at night.

Every tortie I have ever had was extremely friendly/cuddly. Even though I've had over 100 cats over the years but only two torties. My friend has a tortie who is pregnant right now. She is the sweetest kitty, but so is my dilute tortie.

I'm hoping my two youngest (who are isolated from the rest) will stay friends. My gingers used to be besties but now they don't like each other as much and sometimes fight. I'm going to have to use my stimulus check to get my brother's cats neutered because he hasn't done it yet & it needs to be done. I was going to use it for a new cooktop, but all 6 of the males need to be neutered so maybe they will stop fighting & spraying everything. I'm constantly having to wipe things down because of it. If they don't charge any extra fees, it should be $300 if I take them to the right clinic. My mother told my brother he was responsible for getting them neutered at his expense but he's refused because he wants to spend the $ on some classes to get a degree so he can move to Japan to teach English.

Old man cat is driving me nuts. He is a bag of bones, and really won't eat. So we start with friskies wet food, he'll take a bite or two. Then cries. We try a can of tuna. Then chopped chicken or roast from the fridge. Maybe cheese chopped small.
So all his bowls of leftovers that he only took a bite out of go to the barncats, Jayrod and Kevin.

I've had better luck with females being good hunters than males. We'll see what mama cat has.

I had a tom cat and all I had to do was say 'rat;and he would stick his paw under the stove where every winter they like to come in a try to nest,He would reach under the stove and grab the rat and go stright out the door,Cats are smarter than we give them credit for. he was my last cat reallt loved that cat.he brought us many squirrels and rabbits too,we'heal them if we could and get them well and take to animal sactuary. We called them all Girly.One would run up our legs and hide in my hair or hubby pocket if somebody came up.But females are good too. We get the cats fixed so they don't have kittens or get hurt fighting over females if a male cat..

Last edited:
Old man cat is driving me nuts. He is a bag of bones, and really won't eat. So we start with friskies wet food, he'll take a bite or two. Then cries. We try a can of tuna. Then chopped chicken or roast from the fridge. Maybe cheese chopped small.
So all his bowls of leftovers that he only took a bite out of go to the barncats, Jayrod and Kevin.

Try some KMR (kitten milk replacer)

Oh...she don't THINK she's in charge...she knows she's in charge..

Jim
In my defense, I have almost $3000 in vet bills for that cat. That has been spread over her 8 years.
Even my vet thinks it's nuts, but I will not let an animal suffer or have one put down if there is a chance of recovery.

In my defense, I have almost $3000 in vet bills for that cat. That has been spread over her 8 years.
Even my vet thinks it's nuts, but I will not let an animal suffer or have one put down if there is a chance of recovery.

After my folks spent $7K on their senior dog and still had to put her down I try my hand at treatment before taking a pet to the vet. I can treat abscesses and most wounds but something that requires surgery is on the vet.

Back