Need help figuring out what's up with my pig

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3H Homestead

A little bit of everything in rural Colorado
Neighbor
I have a 5 month old red wattle. As of Saturday, he weighed 107 lbs. The weather where I live is really challenging in the wintertime, and 4 weeks ago, we experienced a pneumonia situation with him. After giving him a dose of Draxxin & Ivermectin (almost certain pneumonia came from lungworms), he began improving about 7-10 days later. For 2-3 weeks, his eating was better, drinking was better, activity was better. Then, about a week ago, I started noticing his poops looking pebbly, and almost dry. Then Wednesday, his activity & eating lessened, then by Saturday, he was completely off his feed, but drinking some water. I got an antibiotic from the vet, but considering his breathing rate is fine, no coughing or wheezing noted, eyes look good, and he was still drinking, I felt it appropriate to hold off on the antibiotic. Yesterday, my hubs and I got him to eat some oatmeal and drink about 4 cups of milk, but his activity is still down and he still shows no real interest in his dry feed. This morning, he greeted me when I went to bring him fresh water, had a 2 minute pee session, inhaled a good portion of milk/oatmeal, then climbed back in his bed, milk drunk. About 2 1/2 hours later, I went to check on him. There was 1 pile of pebbly poop, but dry food is still in bowl, and he WOULD NOT get up from the spot he was laying in. He opened his eyes, lifted his head, but had no interest in the remaining milk/oatmeal, or dry feed. It's been a rollercoaster ride with this dude the last several days and I'm at a complete loss of what's going on and how I should treat him. Should I give him the antibiotic or continue to see what he does each day? I don't necessarily feel like he's worse than he was Saturday, but I can't exactly say he's better and I'm not sure I'm quite ready to process him, yet.

Quick backstory, he had a brother with him the first 2 months we had him, but we lost the brother in early January. Hubs and I are very new to pig raising and were not aware of how crucial it is to deworm when initially adopting pigs. 🤷🏼‍♀️ lesson learned on that one.

Latest posts

Back