Need Help identifying insects.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyDell

Super Friend
Neighbor
The other day, I posted a question about pesticide advice. Thank you again for all your replies and help.

However, I am not sure how to refer to the specific insects I am targeting.

Here is a video:

They look like ants but are not. and they grow into small flies.

In a google search, do you search for "gnats natural pesticide', "baby drain flies natural pesticide", "baby fruit flies"? How do you refer to them when they are still in this stage, no wings yet".

Note: Unfortunately, I have a weak stomach; so there is no need to post additional insect images.

I'm no expert but they look like fruit flies to me. I've trapped them in the past with a bowl/container with some apple cider vinegar and a little dish soap. I put cling wrap on the bowl with a small opening cut in it so they get in (attracted to the vinegar) but can't find their way back out.

It really is hard to see them, but they might be carpenter ants. I saw some recently in my yard, winged ants of some sort, in an area where I've had wooden landscaping timbers eaten by something.

I'm no expert but they look like fruit flies to me. I've trapped them in the past with a bowl/container with some apple cider vinegar and a little dish soap. I put cling wrap on the bowl with a small opening cut in it so they get in (attracted to the vinegar) but can't find their way back out.
thanks.
How would one refer to fruit flies that haven't developed wings yet, like these? are they "baby flies", "gnats"?
having difficulty telling google what to look for.

It really is hard to see them, but they might be carpenter ants. I saw some recently in my yard, winged ants of some sort, in an area where I've had wooden landscaping timbers eaten by something.
TY.
They are hairy and do grow into tiny flies. even buzz. then again maybe carpenter ants buzz, dont know.

How would one refer to fruit flies that haven't developed wings yet, like these? are they "baby flies", "gnats"?
having difficulty telling google what to look for.

Maybe just 'wingless fruit flies' or 'immature flies'? Where are they hanging around? Are they near fruit or a drain?

Maybe just 'wingless fruit flies' or 'immature flies'? Where are they hanging around? Are they near fruit or a drain?
They come out of the walls crawl on the floor where the walls are. they trace the walls looking for an exit or entrance..
then if you let them mature, they look tiny black houseflies.

I tried the apple cider trick, even a glass of beer; they are not attracted to them. Perhaps they are only attracted when they are adults with wings.

Were the flies you succcessfully trapped winged or non-winged (infants)?

They were winged and if they're not attracted to the cider/beer then they're something else. Sorry I can't be more help. 🙁

They were winged and if they're not attracted to the cider/beer then they're something else. Sorry I can't be more help. 🙁
No worries. thanks for the replies.

When i tried the cider, they were still wingless; and it didn't attract them.
I killed them all with a wet paper towel, so they didn't have a chance to develop wings - that particular time..

Have you tried contacting your local extension office, @TonyDell ?
Hopefully they won't charge for just an identification.

peppermint spray seems to have some effect, but I have to spray every other day; or they come back.

it only takes 5 to 10 minutes to spray the areas, so I might be able to handle that.

As far as I know, local extension offices don't make ya pay for advice. I thought they pretty much offered stuff for free, and plenty of it. They are usually very willing to provide information about insects, crops, and all kinds of other stuff. Look it up by your county name followed by Extension Office, @TonyDell .

Knowing exactly which insect is key to dealing with them.

I use university botany databases often. They have entomology databases too. Run a search for colleges in your region, big schools will have better data. Schools close to you will have data for your area. Check agriculture type universities.

Here in the south I use Auburn and Texas A&M university websites for anything insect and crop related. Both have very large agriculture programs. Both have lots of free information, anything soil or crop related including insects, problem animals etc etc.

All this information is free and accessible to the public.

Last edited:
The other day, I posted a question about pesticide advice. Thank you again for all your replies and help.

However, I am not sure how to refer to the specific insects I am targeting.

Here is a video:

They look like ants but are not. and they grow into small flies.

In a google search, do you search for "gnats natural pesticide', "baby drain flies natural pesticide", "baby fruit flies"? How do you refer to them when they are still in this stage, no wings yet".

Note: Unfortunately, I have a weak stomach; so there is no need to post additional insect images.

Dude, I know EXACTLY what they are, you got problems! they call them flying ants here, they will destroy your Sheetrock and eat your timbers like termites! better call Orkin ASAP!

Thanks Magus.
Will check out Orkin or something.

why do they look like small house flies when they get big? they really don't look like ants.

What is the right google search term for them? "baby flying ants"?

I will probably call extension office like Patchoulli adviced; and also an Orkin type service.
have a good one. I'll be back with another novice question, next time about nutrition.
TY

I dunno. I never let them grow up. the second I see them swarm, I'm putting a can of RAID in their exit holes. the little b*tards will wreck your Sheetrock and paneling! One of the few times in my life I knew the true meaning of HORROR was waking up covered with the damn things as a kid! this is them I think.

Attachments

• ant-22889_1280-586c5e325f9b586e02c18369.jpg
    ant-22889_1280-586c5e325f9b586e02c18369.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
Carpenter ants. The winged ones are new queens looking for a place to start a new colony in some nice wood.

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back