Need help: Natural Pesticide question

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyDell

Super Friend
Neighbor
Howdy All,

Just need advice on this product from Amazon; or if someone could refer me to the correct forum.
Is this product safe if the fumes are inhaled? (not deliberately :))

I encircled the ingredients in the image below:
https://i.ibb.co/C0thq6d/Wondercide-Spray1.jpg
will not be applying on skin or clothes; only walls or door frames indoors, to form a barrier for crawling insects. spraying every 2 or 3 days.

I know very little about the natural industry. just concerned about incidental inhalation in a bed room.
Thanks for any help.

https://www.amazon.com/Wondercide-N...d89-9c65-c3beb9d61d3b&pd_rd_i=B0764VD7ZW&th=1

Cedar Oil - is it from the eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) or western red cedar (Thuja plicata) or yet another one of the cedars. The label doesn’t say and it’s important, the only similarity the eastern red cedar and western red cedar is the name cedar. They are only distantly related. Both are members of the Cyprus family.

If the cedar oil is from Juniperus virginiana, it is part of Appalachian folk medicine. It was even part of the US Pharmacopoeia from the 1820’s to the 1890’s. I know of no one who still uses it. Its a very harsh medicine used as a diuretic and for rheumatism, also as a tonic for coughs and colds. When used in salves caution is needed, it acts as a skin irritant.

However I use the fronds and berries routinely for livestock. I put them in their water. Does wonders for the health of chickens, goats, small critters. The white powder on the berries is actually yeast than can be used in bread making, if it’s a good strain (some aren’t).

The genus “Juniperus” has a number of species used as medicine for people. Used mostly by native peoples in the northern hemisphere going back millennia. And are a part of today’s western herbalism.

“Sodium lauryl sulfate” the second ingredient… I have no idea what it is but its used as an ingredient in shampoo.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
I spray down with common kennel dip (Happy Jack brand.) once every three years and go on a 3 day camping trip. wish it killed roaches, too, but if it sucks blood, it dies dead.even mosquitos stay away!

Try peppermint oil......it works in our half basement windows that are at ground level. We also grow Hopi tobbacco which can be made into a insecticide by soaking the leaves in water. It has six times the nicotine as regular tobbacco. A lot of insecticides have nicotine as a ingredient.

Cedar Oil - is it from the eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) or western red cedar (Thuja plicata) or yet another one of the cedars. The label doesn’t say and it’s important, the only similarity the eastern red cedar and western red cedar is the name cedar. They are only distantly related. Both are members of the Cyprus family.

If the cedar oil is from Juniperus virginiana, it is part of Appalachian folk medicine. It was even part of the US Pharmacopoeia from the 1820’s to the 1890’s. I know of no one who still uses it. Its a very harsh medicine used as a diuretic and for rheumatism, also as a tonic for coughs and colds. When used in salves caution is needed, it acts as a skin irritant.

However I use the fronds and berries routinely for livestock. I put them in their water. Does wonders for the health of chickens, goats, small critters. The white powder on the berries is actually yeast than can be used in bread making, if it’s a good strain (some aren’t).

The genus “Juniperus” has a number of species used as medicine for people. Used mostly by native peoples in the northern hemisphere going back millennia. And are a part of today’s western herbalism.

“Sodium lauryl sulfate” the second ingredient… I have no idea what it is but its used as an ingredient in shampoo.

Hope this helps...
Thank you for the info.

Sounds like Cedar oil is safe and doesn't cause respiratory problems. But you mentioned there are 2 kinds.
Is the other kind of Cedar (Thuja) a safe oil as well?

Try peppermint oil......it works in our half basement windows that are at ground level. We also grow Hopi tobbacco which can be made into a insecticide by soaking the leaves in water. It has six times the nicotine as regular tobbacco. A lot of insecticides have nicotine as a ingredient.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Looking at the product label it reads 1.5% peppermint oil.
Is there a grade of peppermint oil that I need or just peppermint oil?

Does it work on baby gnats (flies without wings yet)?

And I assume it's safe when incidentally inhaled in a small bed room.

I spray down with common kennel dip (Happy Jack brand.) once every three years and go on a 3 day camping trip. wish it killed roaches, too, but if it sucks blood, it dies dead.even mosquitos stay away!
howdy. and thanks for the suggestion.

So it lasts for 3 years on indoor wood, like a bedroom?
Safe to inhale, or does one have to go away for a few days to let it air out?

I know little about the western red cedar. I try to stay with plants east of the mississippi. It's not listed in any of my reference books, except one. There is no reference to oil being extracted from it for any purpose. Inner bark is used and then applied topically.

Micheal Moore... he was a great herbalist with world wide acclaim. He specialized in plants in the western US and taught at the Southwest school of Botanical Medicine.

I have copies of some of his classroom material. He used western red cedar.

Materia Medica
(plants he used and taught)

THUJA (Arbor Vitae, Flat, Red or Yellow Cedar)
HERB. Fresh Plant Tincture [1:2] for topical use; 5-15 drops in water, to 4X a day. Cold Infusion, 2-3 ounces, to 3X a day

Western red cedar is used as part of a immune system stimulant, part of a more complex mixture.

I know little about the western red cedar. I try to stay with plants east of the mississippi. It's not listed in any of my reference books, except one. There is no reference to oil being extracted from it for any purpose. Inner bark is used and then applied topically.

Micheal Moore... he was a great herbalist with world wide acclaim. He specialized in plants in the western US and taught at the Southwest school of Botanical Medicine.

I have copies of some of his classroom material. He used western red cedar.

Materia Medica (plants he used and taught)

THUJA (Arbor Vitae, Flat, Red or Yellow Cedar)
HERB. Fresh Plant Tincture [1:2] for topical use; 5-15 drops in water, to 4X a day. Cold Infusion, 2-3 ounces, to 3X a day

Western red cedar is used as part of a immune system stimulant, part of a more complex mixture.
Michael Moore. as in the film maker?

It sounds like either kind of cedar is safe all around; and shouldn't cause respiratory problems; cancer or any problems.
i'm not even applying any on myself; just the walls.

Nope, not the film maker (moron). A different M. Moore.
LOL. My finance prof showed a documentary by Michael Moore to the class & asked for a response essay. So I emailed my report and suggested some rebuttal videos. I Couldn't make it to class, but a classmate said the prof mentioned the videos to the class. I give him credit for that at least.

Ah, learned something. I just empty out a few ash trays into my mix.

Howdy Magus,
I looked up the shampoo you recommended for killing insects.

Is it OK to sleep in the same room you use the shampoo in.? or is it bad for respiration?

I generally go on a weekend trip when I use the happy Jack, is that what you're talking about? You CAN live with the smell, I prefer not to. I've never gotten sick and my cats have never shown any ill effects. but yeah, I'd air out at least a day and sleep on the couch. My aunt sleeps in it same night and she's allergic to everything!

wow. your aunt sleeps in it the same night.
I might use some then, in really bad cases.

Thanks for your input Magus.

Latest posts

Back