Need some advice on a weed burner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthCentralUS

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Husband's birthday is next month and I am about to run out of ideas. This is our 49th year together and the only thing I can think of that I have not bought him is a flame thrower. He could use it for so many things but I don't have a clue what to look for. I have seen some that use the grill type tank but don't they have one that uses the small butane tanks?

I don't like fire so don't know what to tell you but I'll bump you up for someone who may have advice on flame throwers.

I bought one at Harbor Freight several years ago for $25 and it still works just like new. I use a small 2-gallon propane tank and have no issues with running out of propane. I don't use the push-button ignitor, I just carry a clicker. If you want to use a 5-gallon tank just put the tank in a milk crate and haul it around on a cart. If you don't have a tank go to one of those propane exchange places and get one already filled then when you need it refilled take it where ever you want. You can also exchange an old tank and get a new one.
They do make them that take the disposable propane bottles but those little bottles are expensive unless you refill them yourself.

Thanks Sentry. That is more what I was looking for. It uses the small fuel cans. Will it use the ones that fit a camp stove?

I have not tried one, but it certainly should. They use the same attachment system as the torch tanks I use.

Torches are like wood chippers. Go big or go home. The small aren't worth the effort. IMHO, these "flame throwers" in general won't do what you think effectively. If you want to kick-start a fire, they work great. If you want to burn weeds in a relatively large area, I find it's faster, cheaper and easier to just use weed killer.
I have a few and would recommend what Cascadian posted:
The one I have is similar to this. I can say when it comes to a flame thrower size does matter.
https://www.harborfreight.com/propa...MIyOrAparB6QIVqh6tBh2WxgZCEAQYAiABEgK1uvD_BwE

712bd9c2-1ce0-481d-ae3c-36174292a499_1.7d89bce0574c26c7b1469ad7cbb67185.jpeg
The man will be 82 years old and I want to get him a new toy. Will either one of those use these bottles? I don't want him getting another hernia trying to be 60 again. He has guns in every nook and cranny from other birthdays.

I use mine all the time with no issues. Just to clarify, I am not trying to burn down a 3,000 acre illegal marijuana grow or reclaim a portion of the rain forest. I just want to make sure there are no weeds in the cracks of my sidewalk, along the driveway and patio, etc.

Torches are like wood chippers. Go big or go home. The small aren't worth the effort. IMHO, these "flame throwers" in general won't do what you think effectively. If you want to kick-start a fire, they work great. If you want to burn weeds in a relatively large area, I find it's faster, cheaper and easier to just use weed killer.
I have a few and would recommend what Cascadian posted:

Zomm what if your organic and don't like chemical ?

My goodness this site has some good info on it, ,thaanks yall.
@South Central I knew you'd get an answer to your problem and then some. :thumbs:

I used a weed burner to kill some goat's head in the rock walkway. I blew up a couple of rocks and all the weeds looked fried. Two days later they were back. I mixed up some "special" weed killer and so far they haven't shown up. It's a formula I will use cautiously in the future.
On a side note I think an ant's nest was collateral damage. Better living through chemistry.
Yes it probably violated several laws but nobody saw me do it so I am good. After a week it all degrades to natural compounds as it is exposed to UV and water.

Latest posts

Back