Nervous Dog with fireworks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valerian root is great for dogs. Naturally relaxes them, no drug effects! Over the counter.
In human meds section or pet care section? Which stores? I know cats love valerian but wow does that stuff have a strong smell!
I will see what I can find about using CBD For dogs, thanks! @backlash
@INresponse that will not be happening here but maybe someone else’s dog will benefit.

In human meds section or pet care section? Which stores? I know cats love valerian but wow does that stuff have a strong smell!
I will see what I can find about using CBD For dogs, thanks! @backlash
@INresponse that will not be happening here but maybe someone else’s dog will benefit.
Walmart in the human vitamin section, 500mg.

Only when the fireworks start does she act like this. I was really surprised it bothered her so badly this time. Lots of panting, tried to get on my bed (it's kind of high up) tried to get under a small table (too narrow), scratched at the door where one of the offspring was, followed me around. Right now she's acting like she is zonked out, sleeping hard. You can hear them in the neighborhood and further but not like it's right here.
It's like she's saying: "w*t*f are you guys going to do about this??!!! I can't rest!!!"
I've never given her anything for it. She's fine with thunderstorms.
So, what do you do when your dog gets upset over fireworks? I've never asked a veterinarian for meds for her and haven't been able to find any rescue remedy. I don't think she is bad enough off to take drugs.
Have you ever used benedryl for your dog?
Yep benadryl. If I remember correctly, 25 mg/100 lb. Takes the edge off. When I worked at the vet clinic (years ago), we had folks who called every year before the 4th. We knew it in their records and the dogs got a sedative. Many dogs do well with benadryl though.
Note: I am not a vet, just sharing my experience 😉

When I was a kid, I had a dog that was K-9 Corps from Vietnam, My dad won him in a bet from his owner. Best mutt I ever had, I still have his collar and papers somewhere. Poor guy was shell shocked bad! If you had a gun, he would come and sit right beside you and walk in step until you shot it, then he would flatten out on the ground and not move for love or money until you petted him. He followed orders like a champ and if you pointed at something or someone and snapped your fingers, he would put it on the ground and hold it by the neck until you told him to "heel". He never got over his shell shock and died defending us from "SOMETHING" We never figured out. I miss that mutt 45 years later.

Dogs are fantastic at reading our body language. If we tense or react negatively to loud noises, so will the dog.

Gun conditioning for hunting dogs is as old as guns. Some dogs refuse conditioning but most do fine.

When Sam was a pup I worked with him... basically, make the loud noise a positive experience. Now he gets excited when he sees me pick up a gun. He knows we're having an adventure and he'll get to chase something. Doesn't matter if i shoot or not, he has fun.

I don't react in a negative way to thunder or fireworks either. Being scared of lighting is natural for most animals. It's the core of the issue, but a positive attitude from a person usually controls it. I'm sam's pack leader, I lead.

Research gundog conditioning, the same techniques could be applied to any loud noises.

Edit to add... A couple times there have been lightening strikes close to the house. VERY close, hard not for me to jump. Recently sam was outside and i'd opened the door to check the weather and there was a big lightening flash!!! Before I could count to 1 for the thunder I could feel. Sam ran for the door. I purposely didn't act different than a hundred other times when I let him in the house. He saw i didn't react...so he just went and checked his food bowl.

I wasn't going to scold him, his reaction was normal. It happened, it's over... wasn't going to baby him either, he might come to expect it.

Last edited:
No thundershirt, no nervous or jittery people here, just going about our usual evening activities. The fireworks is about three miles away but neighbors set them off too. The cat kept following the dog around, watching, like dude, what's wrong.
Turned on my laptop to all of these at the same time: Jean Luc Ponty, some "heavy fast classical" music by Beethoven and others, etc., Rain and Thunder sound track, and the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Just thought I'd pass that along because it is working if anyone else is having nervous dog due to fireworks, etc. She finally is semi-relaxed. Panting some, but lying down.

It appears my newest pooch is not a fan of fireworks.
She hid in the bathroom as soon as the neighbors started setting off them. The booming that these hills bounce around sounds really awesome I thought..
But the new dog was on the bathroom rug shaking until about midnight.
My other dog isnt too bothered by them..he looks at me to see if I'm reacting and doesnt react or get upset.

Latest posts

Back