Nesting Material For Hens

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
No pine srrww to be found anywhere around here. So we bought a bale of coastal hay.
we do have some diamacious earth to sprinkle over it,hope that takes acare of mites.
What do you think. They were insulted when we gave them leaves.:rolleyes:They threw the leaves out instantly.

Last edited:
We use the shredded pine (or aspen?) since it is available. I keep several bales on hand for times like these. I usually add a hand full daily and pick out any giant blobs of nasty that some of them leave. Also use diatomaceous earth. The flock had a bout of mites... I had forgotten to dust them, the nests and roosts.

We used hay when I was a child in the coop, but most our birds ran wild & made their nest in wood or lumber piles. If I set up another coop, it would have "best nest boxes".

we use pine shavings, since it's winter we ar doin deep bedding. we also sprinkle it with diamacious earth,

coop2.jpg

coop3.jpg

I like the clean roll away nesting boxes, but most people I know use paper or straw.

Latest posts

Back