never know about people

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
There a fella in our town and for no reason I have never really cared for him. Anyhoo he helps a restaurant with catering jobs. My daughter also works at this place. I asked the daughter how it was to work with him. She said he was a nice guy. She was telling me that he gave her his tips from these catering jobs that they work at. At the time she was expecting and he would give her the tips for the baby. That changed my perspective on him and made me think sometimes you really don't know someone.

Goes both ways for me at times.
Where I used to work they had me be supervisor for a shift for the department. We had an opening for what I'll call a newbie tech to train. This guy that worked in another department applied for it. While I hadn't met him I had seen him around. To my fault I had judged him as a lowlife. After spending some time with him training on some equipment and got to know him a little more, turns out he had grown up in rough conditions and he put up a front to try and protect himself. He worked for me for 3-4 years before I left and he ended up being a sponge, he would take any training or advice anyone would give. Didn't hesitate to take on a new task. Dude was really sharp. He and his wife gave me a nice thank you card when I left for taking him under my wing.
Taught me a lesson. But sometimes things can sure go the other way. Had those too.

I think I have the strangest neighbor of all...he moved in last year...does not want to talk to a soul...you rarely see a light in his house...you rarely even see him outside.....we laugh and joke that he must be in a protection program...I so wanted a great neighbor after my friends passed away, but this guy is really strange....

Last edited:
This has happened a lot. That why I ask coworker/friends what they think about a new person.
I try to stay clear of persons who do not have a standard of some kind.

It's hard to tell with new people. In my job I sometimes move between lots of different work groups. New people surprise me, both good and bad. But over time, I think our skills at reading people improve.

There's a guy I've worked with several times. He is a very hard worker but he rarely smiles and I've only seen him laugh once. Didn't like him much at first, but over time I found that's just how he is and he doesn't mean any harm...

I think I have become more reclusive with age. I really don't care about making new "friends" which IMHO is a grossly overused and misused term. You have a lot of acquaintances, and a lot of people you know. Friends you can count on one hand, and have fingers left over.

I have one friend at work. The rest are acquaintances at best, and most are just people I work with. My department merged with another. It was a merger forced by my boss who is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I didn't like those people before, and I like them a lot less now. My feelings were correct. Most are incompetent, and a couple are flat out stupid. In some ways working from home is a blessing. I don't have to be around them.

I try to keep an open mind. I try to be friendly, and treat people with respect from the start, but for me my first impressions have seldom been wrong.

We have been the "new" people since last summer, even though we owned this place for years. And the farms closest to us are not my relatives. Before we moved here a farm a few down asked to put his extra farm equipment in one of our big buildings. My husband said no. It was commercial equipment and huge. The guy did it anyway, because we would only pop in every 3 or 4 months. He was angry when we asked him to move it. And then he moved a combine into our roundtop when we were gone, breaking off some equipment our cousin had in there, knowing full well he did, causing damages. So that was touch and go for a while. He's paid our cousin for broken equipment, kept his stuff off our property, invited the neighboring farms to an ice cream social, and seems ok now. Another guy bought some land locked farmland near us and wanted us to give up a large easement on ours so he could farm it. He wanted us to take out wind breaker trees, gravel the easement for large equipment, and we would pay for it all. He is nuts. Of course we said no, and we stay clear of him, although it's just farmland, he doesn't live near us. Another neighbor said he could use their existing access road from their section, but he wants an extra large easement. They told him no, too. We only have one unknown neighbor, and they put a Christmas card in our mailbox with some chocolate. We had covid at the time, so didn't reciprocate. The rest of our farm neighbors are great. I've been giving away excess eggs to try to start a bartering round of sorts.

Latest posts

Back