New Bush Hog

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read up on it in detail before I saw one. Yet I still expected the arch top to be much more complex than it was. I mean from a manufacturing point of view. A jig to weld one up wouldn't be complicated at all.

Since it's just up the road I'd like to stop by and see how they set up and weld one together.
I'd love to hear about that if you get the opportunity

@Supervisor42 Thursday night I got an inch of rain. I took this Friday morning about 10am... Not a drop of water standing on the bush hog deck... Even the dust had dried...

I'm very happy with this KingKutter pro-series mower, 5ft. I've cut 20+ acres since getting it. 10 acres were some of the roughest and most dangerous bush hogging I've ever done on a farm. It's designed to hug the contour of the ground no matter how rough the terrain and worked as advertised. This mower ran like a champ.

If I had one complaint it'd be... I'd like the rear wheel mounted about 6" closer to the mower deck. But that's more of a personal preference.

It's a quality piece of equipment I would recommend to anyone.

The hill 5 a.JPG

Yesterday I replaced the diesel fuel I used running this bush hog last month, 35gallons. So yeah, it's broken in now. It's got a couple dings, scrapes and a few flecks of paint knocked off. It's job is done for this year. And I don't have to put it under a shed! It's perfectly fine out in the weather.

I still wish the rear wheel pivot point was closer to the frame. But! the position is part of the design that allows it to hug rough terrain, it's best feature. The 3-point hitch isn't rigid, it's made to move, the other part of that design feature. So, I guess I can live with the rear wheel position.

I have to say though it's the best bush hog I've ever used and strongly recommend it.

Calf 17nov eat 7 aa.JPG

I saw some bush hog's at the CoOp last week. One brand had the sloped deck that was totally undivided like your's is. The other had flat, divided decks. I like your style much better

Shed space is always a premium on a farm, there is never enough. A flat top bush hog needs to be under a shed or the top is going to rust out in a few years from standing water. The arch top sheds water and so free's up that shed space. They should have been making them that way since the beginning.

Shed space is always a premium on a farm, there is never enough. A flat top bush hog needs to be under a shed or the top is going to rust out in a few years from standing water. The arch top sheds water and so free's up that shed space. They should have been making them that way since the beginning.
You got that right.

The Princess has plans for a storage shed for all of our toys errr tools and every time we look at at the requirements?, it gets bigger.

Ben

My brush hog is also the flat top. I spray all my implements (especially those that will remain outdoors) with Fluid Film. As an example, I put it on an old 1-bottom plow about 5 years ago and still not a spec of rust on it.

spray all my implements (especially those that will remain outdoors) with Fluid Film.

Thanks, Never heard of Fluid Film before. We have 5g hydraulic oil buckets filled with burned motor oil. I've used burned oil and a paint brush to coat metal before.

For heavier applications (undercoating, large implements) where you need a long-lasting durable protection, I'd go with their NAS (non-aerosol spray) version in the 1-gallon can. For light duty applications and around the house, I use the rattle-can spray. I use those spray cans on just about everything from squeaky hinges to battery terminals (tons of applications).

If you get the 1-gallon (or larger) can, it's much thicker. It can be brushed on using a paint brush but I prefer to get the spray gun. Something like this (but I'm not making any recommendations about this particular seller).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112801840932?epid=565391615&hash=item1a43837f24:g:do0AAOSwa-ZhjCnnWith the spray gun, I can undercoat my truck in about 15 minutes. Super fast on implements too. If you go this route, just a heads-up that when you fill the bottle then attach to the spray gun, do not tighten it to the spray gun as a vacuum will occur and your bottle will start collapsing.

Back