New Grid Attack

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all are freakin me out.
My license has 2 stars on it. A gold one above the expiration and a super-imposed one much larger like a seal, the star is inside of a circle. Oh wait. There are two more stars, also super-imposed, maybe translucent is a better description. No, three stars, not 2. On the back,
ENDORSEMENTS:
NONE

Idaho is non compliant so far. When I changed my DL..I posed on purpose the most gawd awful pose I could muster. Hair harshly pulled back in a frizzy mess , cheeks kinda poofed out as much as I could get away with it, chin down to get the double chinny chin chin rolling ..I tried to cross my eyes but it didn't work :/
I know they have my face, prints and all that on file already but I can be defiant to it in a sorta protest. Oh..when I worked in Corrections, we had to do a health and mental health eval years into it. give blood and all that jazz...upon filling out my mental health question book..it turned out I was all over the charts..lol..My commander gave me the stink eye and asked, if I was trying to scare the women and children again?.. I said, " only when they force me too :) "

Actual it is proof that you are are a United States Citizen. Don't want a Real ID? The Feds will also accept:

• U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • DHS-designated enhanced driver's license
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

Woo hoo Canada was mentioned on a US web site.

Never gonna happen. Just fear mongering. There are not enough high energy usage internet connected devices like water heaters or ac in any given area to have the ability to cause a blackout, and there probably won't be in our lifetime.

Never gonna happen. Just fear mongering. There are not enough high energy usage internet connected devices like water heaters or ac in any given area to have the ability to cause a blackout, and there probably won't be in our lifetime.
A few years back there were a number of articles about utility companies requiring smart thermostats in their customers homes so the utility company could control the thermostat in high usage times.

Just what I need, more expensive appliances made by modern "I break after a certain amount of time so you have to buy new" standards that are also connected to the internet to "make my life easier". Wonder when we will see a rash of bored teenagers hacking into their neighbors thermostats, or more sensitive household systems, at night as pranks? Do these things really improve quality of life? I'm not sure the cost/benefit is there. Seems silly to me. I do not need a fridge that tells me I'm running low on yogurt.

Just what I need, more expensive appliances made by modern "I break after a certain amount of time so you have to buy new" standards that are also connected to the internet to "make my life easier". Wonder when we will see a rash of bored teenagers hacking into their neighbors thermostats, or more sensitive household systems, at night as pranks? Do these things really improve quality of life? I'm not sure the cost/benefit is there. Seems silly to me. I do not need a fridge that tells me I'm running low on yogurt.

Too bad, if your fridge speaks you best listen though. Or head for the hills. :ghostly:

I'm late to this party but I have an idea. If a hacker could control all the smart meters in an area (which if you could hack one you could hack them all) then the hacker could turn off the power to all of them at once. If this was done at some peak demand time the power company would go from peak demand to no demand in an instant. That would have to cause problems. Then wait a half hour and turn on all the meters again. Then the power company would go from no demand to peak demand in a blink of the eye. That would have to over-load the system. Or switch all the meters off then on then off again in one minute intervals until everything blew up.

Just what I need, more expensive appliances...connected to the internet to "make my life easier"....

I 100% agree.

I bought an $$$ Nest thermostat. It was "smart" and would learn our occupancy usage and adjust the heating/cooling automatically, save us $. Plus our Nest smoke detectors could "talk" to the thermostat, if a smoker detector went off they could turn off the furnace fan to limit smoke carry over and not to feed a fire. From my Iphone App I can check on the temp of the house and adjust the thermostat on our way home. Plus I'm a sucker for hi-tech stuff.

Worked perfectly for the first year, then the Wi-fi side stopped working. I tried this and that, nothing worked. Fault is in the thermostat is my conclusion. Then the internal battery wouldn't charge. Remove the thermostat head, charge the battery and it would work for a day or two before dying again. YouTube solution is the furnace to thermostat wiring was the problem! Doesn't explain why it worked for a year...I rewire. Nope. Now I got a $$$ thermostat that defaults sometimes at 72 degrees (which is OK) and sometimes defaults to shut the furnace/AC off. Replaced it with a $20, non-programable dumb thermostat that works perfectly.

A few years back there were a number of articles about utility companies requiring smart thermostats in their customers homes so the utility company could control the thermostat in high usage times.
They are not mandatory in many US states. You can opt out. Why make it easy on the electric company, it's not like they will lower your cost..

Latest posts

Back