New here, hoping to meet other homesteaders, learn skills, and also hopefully get some advice from US based posters

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primes

Friend
Neighbor
Hey,

I just signed up the other day, made a thread about canning and have been poking around a bit and loving what I see. I grew up in a rural area with parents who did everything from scratch and built our home and tried to live as off grid as possible, I guess we were kind of homesteaders in our own right without even realizing it 😅

I'm Canadian, living in Ontario, just submitted my paperwork to (hopefully) get approved to move down to the states to be with my fiance who I am super lucky to have met, he also shares my love for self sufficiency and living this kind of lifestyle.

Problem is, we're not really sure where we want to settle! He's from Minnesota, moved to NY to be closer to me, but NY has such strict regulations on so much stuff we're interested in (both homesteading related but also hobby stuff like guns and vehicles) that I don't think we'd want to settle there, despite upstate being gorgeous and having cheap property.

Do any US homesteaders have advice on which states to look at if we want something affordable, not super densely populated, with more permissible laws? We love the nature in the north (and I love the lack of Palmetto bugs, lol) and being close to family but from what I've seen you sorta have to pick 2 of those 3 up near the border.

Welcome from Alaska!

welcome from SW Virginia
Gun laws are good here ( open carry is legal) for now at least
Property was cheap when we bought it but not sure now
If you have a high income taxes are high but not if you don't

We looked in NC, Virginia , Vermont and Maine ( moved from Florida)
Did not want to move out west because there is not enough water

welcome from SW Virginia
Gun laws are good here ( open carry is legal) for now at least
Property was cheap when we bought it but not sure now
If you have a high income taxes are high but not if you don't

We looked in NC, Virginia , Vermont and Maine ( moved from Florida)
Did not want to move out west because there is not enough water
Thank you so much for this info! We looked at WV somewhat (property is super cheap but the jobs situation is rough) but hadn't looked into Virginia, that's good info. And very true about water - that's huge, and something neither of us are used to having to worry about being near great lakes

Thank you so much for this info! We looked at WV somewhat (property is super cheap but the jobs situation is rough) but hadn't looked into Virginia, that's good info. And very true about water - that's huge, and something neither of us are used to having to worry about being near great lakes
be carefull with WV, in most cases there you do not own the property below the surface , so if you find any, check on that

Welcome from Eastern Missouri. Good to have you with us. :welcome:

If you are looking to relocate Missouri isn't a bad choice. Look in the Southwestern portion. Cost of living is reasonable. Taxes aren't bad. A pretty conservative state. You could find propert to homestead in the southern and western parts of the state.

Welcome from Indiana! Gun laws are gun-friendly here, but check your local cities to be certain. Concealed carry licenses are available and also constitutional carry for Indiana residents. Northern part of the state is close to your home country but the soil is pretty sandy and fairly flat. Southern half has hills and ‘regular’ soil.

Hello and welcome, I'm afraid I'm not much use to you as I live abroad, but I'm sure you'll find the right place. I've noticed some of your US based magazines like Grit or maybe Homesteading had land for sale ads at the back- might be a place to look?

Greetings from just west of Lake Superior...
I lived a number of years in northern BC.. Loved the country, but the permanent resident system made it impossible to stay being from the US.. You will have a better chance coming into the US..

I would stick with living in the states on the west end of the Great Lakes.. More what you are used to.. Depending what you do for a living, states west of MN will be cheaper living than MN, WI, MI... Any state lower than these you likely won't like..

In short time, you WILL miss Tim Hortons coffee... Good luck... eh...

Latest posts

Back