New homesteader in Utah

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mu51c10rd

Mountain Home Rookie
Neighbor
Hello all. New to the forum I suppose. We just bought some mountain property in rural Utah...trying to escape the cities/suburbs. Property is 20 acres of hills, scrub oak, dirt, and sage brushes. Planning on making our permanent home here. Hope to be able to learn from the experiences people and perhaps relate our own experiences to help others. This is our second home, been living in suburbs of SLC for 18 years in the same home with 4 kids. So far, the property has been an adventure, but looks like we are certainly not alone around here.

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon. Anytime one gets away from big cities it's a very good thing, I've lived in Seattle and got out of there only to end up in Denver, the only thing good about Denver is that I met my wife there. We moved into the foothills west of Denver and that was not far enough away, moved to the panhandle of Texas, we didn't like the heat or the potential of tornados and moved here to Oregon, out in the woods in a conservative region far enough away from large cities, anyway I hope everything goes good for you, considering how expensive building supplies have gotten, the main thing is to have a good water supply and storage, to me that's the number one thing that is important to surviving what's coming. You are not alone, that's why this site is so good, great people with tons of information about nearly everything, a lot of people here are living off grid, we don't but could because of the solar system I built, we hang onto the grid because it's still not that expensive but it's good to have an emergency backup due to fairly frequent winter grid interuptions.

Last edited:
Welcome from Alaska!

Welcome from the Interstate Highway System.

Building a new home? I suggest concrete walls and good aluminium or vinyl siding and double insulate. Walls, roof, upper ceiling and first floor underneath. You're going to need it and use it.

Good idea to get out of SLC... like many cities, that place has gone downhill over the last two decades. If you're building anew, author Joel Skousen has some tips on building secure & self-sustaining homes, you can find some of his work on the web. Don't look for it in the library, as he has been blacklisted by the fraudulent gubmint for his anti-gubmint views. He was a Marine fighter pilot too, go figure. :confused:

Anyway, greetings from Alamogordo, NM, or the outskirts of Alamo... :welcome:

Hello all. New to the forum I suppose. We just bought some mountain property in rural Utah...trying to escape the cities/suburbs. Property is 20 acres of hills, scrub oak, dirt, and sage brushes. Planning on making our permanent home here. Hope to be able to learn from the experiences people and perhaps relate our own experiences to help others. This is our second home, been living in suburbs of SLC for 18 years in the same home with 4 kids. So far, the property has been an adventure, but looks like we are certainly not alone around here.
Welcome from Wisconsin, you're going to love the forum. Have a blessed day.

Thanks for the welcome everybody, appreciate it.

Thanks for the welcome all. Sorry, posted this and got a bit busy. We're going to document our building journey on (prohibited action) if anyone is curious. Anyone, thanks for the warm welcome and I see there is lots to learn from you all out in the rural areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back