New Hunting Gear?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackbottomLouis

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Anybody buying new stuff for the upcoming season? I splurged on some new climbing sticks with a top step platform, a new adjustable bridge for my saddle, and been practicing with my new bow all summer. Need to get some arrows built and tuned. Can't wait to get in the tree!

No matter how much hunting stuff I have there always seems to be a new "must have" before every season. Probably just my way of getting excited :).

What y'all getting?

I finally made the transition to carbon arrows, I had so many aluminum that I just wanted to use them up before switching (Thats what happens when you have 5 seasons worth of gear). Anyway I had enough points from my kitchen remodel to buy new arrows and rest for my bow for $0, I did buy a cutoff saw and squaring tool.... For my slug gun I am still using Remington CopperSolid Sabots (they are no longer available); I will be transitioning to the new barnes expanders.

I am older now and have a bit of arthritis when the weather sets in, so I use my compound bow in the fall and then switch to the crossbow in the winter.

It took me almost 10 years of tinkering to get my climbing treestands just the way I wanted them.

Overall I am ready for the season to start...

I've been thinking about getting either a bow or a crossbow. Right now just researching stuff.

Fairly certain you don't need my advice, but, if buying a bow just buy new. I bought used and with the money I spent getting the right draw length etc I could have just bought new. I'm not a big fan of crossbows myself but a lot of people love em.

I finally made the transition to carbon arrows, I had so many aluminum that I just wanted to use them up before switching (Thats what happens when you have 5 seasons worth of gear). Anyway I had enough points from my kitchen remodel to buy new arrows and rest for my bow for $0, I did buy a cutoff saw and squaring tool.... For my slug gun I am still using Remington CopperSolid Sabots (they are no longer available); I will be transitioning to the new barnes expanders.

I am older now and have a bit of arthritis when the weather sets in, so I use my compound bow in the fall and then switch to the crossbow in the winter.

It took me almost 10 years of tinkering to get my climbing treestands just the way I wanted them.

Overall I am ready for the season to start...

I like saddlehunting as opposed to climbing stands but there is no less tinkering involved. I'm on year 2 so I've go a ways to go.

What stands have you settled on and how did you tweak them to your preference if you don't mind me asking?

Fairly certain you don't need my advice, but, if buying a bow just buy new. I bought used and with the money I spent getting the right draw length etc I could have just bought new. I'm not a big fan of crossbows myself but a lot of people love em.

I take advice from anywhere I can get it.
I plan to go with new with whatever I end up with. Stuff wears out and I'm far from a normal size. I'm 6-4 and clothes are hard enough to find. I'm sure bow's will be the same.

I am in the market looking at some new camo setup and high top slip on boots that the pants legs can be tucked into. One reason is ease of use second the chicks and tiggers are rough up here ya need to armor up. Any recommendation's

I like saddlehunting as opposed to climbing stands but there is no less tinkering involved. I'm on year 2 so I've go a ways to go.

What stands have you settled on and how did you tweak them to your preference if you don't mind me asking?
I have 2,

An open faced API climber, I modified it adding a detachable climbing sling (seat) turning it into a sit-stand climber, also added climbing stirrups and saddle bags, I used the base from one unit and the seat from another so they stack with the base inside the seat. Once in the tree I turn back to the tree and sit in the seat, I drop one side of the climbing sling and have a full open view forward, mostly for bow season.

The other is an API Grand Slam type, I change it around to make them stack (base in seat). The full surround gives a good rest for gun and muzzlerloader seasons.

Both of my stands are the early welded aluminum ones with very few moving parts. Sounds are not your friend.
tree h.jpg
tree h.jpg

Last edited:
I plan to go with new with whatever I end up with. Stuff wears out and I'm far from a normal size. I'm 6-4 and clothes are hard enough to find. I'm sure bow's will be the same.
At 6-4 Your draw length may be an issue with the bow. On a cross bow you may need to think about the stock length and how to align with the sights. I think, I would just take the time to go to a bow shop, tell them you are starting to shop for a new bow and ask them to measure you. I assume when you say bow, you are saying compound bow, remember there are different types of bows.

Unfortunately, I have to be a budget shopper, so I look for the middle of the road equipment, maintain it to make it last. Over 25 years, I am on compound bow #4, started with a used, moved up to a low end bow - had to switch when it wore out, had one get dammaged while making a shot (limb hit something), current bow is 4 years old and at that time I had about 10 dozen aluminum arrows so I didn't switch to carbon.

I would love to upgrade to a new bow (something that shoots around 330 fps) but the price for a nice setup and the wife keep me out of the market....

I am in the market looking at some new camo setup and high top slip on boots that the pants legs can be tucked into. One reason is ease of use second the chicks and tiggers are rough up here ya need to armor up. Any recommendation's
Myself, I like Muck Boots. (That's the name brand). There's several heights and ratings for temperatures. The winter version keep your feet very warm.
https://www.muckbootcompany.com/

Myself, I like Muck Boots. (That's the name brand). There's several heights and ratings for temperatures. The winter version keep your feet very warm.
https://www.muckbootcompany.com/
Muck boots work well. Lacrosse makes some good pull on rubber boots but I think they're usually heavily insulated. If it's cold enough to wear them, you won't need to worry about ticks and chiggers...

I'm actually considering a recurve bow instead of compound. Less moving parts, less to fail in my way of thinking. But I am open to trying out what ever and see what feels best to me. I do have a bow shop not too far from the house. Guess I need to pay them a visit.

I have 2,

An open faced API climber, I modified it adding a detachable climbing sling (seat) turning it into a sit-stand climber, also added climbing stirrups and saddle bags, I used the base from one unit and the seat from another so they stack with the base inside the seat. Once in the tree I turn back to the tree and sit in the seat, I drop one side of the climbing sling and have a full open view forward, mostly for bow season.

The other is an API Grand Slam type, I change it around to make them stack (base in seat). The full surround gives a good rest for gun and muzzlerloader seasons.

Both of my stands are the early welded aluminum ones with very few moving parts. Sounds are not your friend.View attachment 47034View attachment 47034

Looks like a squared away set up!

I really like my mathews.

What's your boot budget? Quality boots can get stupid pricey. Have my eye on some Zamberlans.

Last edited:
I'm actually considering a recurve bow instead of compound. Less moving parts, less to fail in my way of thinking. But I am open to trying out what ever and see what feels best to me. I do have a bow shop not too far from the house. Guess I need to pay them a visit.

Heck. At 6'4" you can probably shoot a long bow like others wield a recurve. Always had a fascination with the old english longbow but that 160lb draw weight is out of my reach.

Last edited:
I have 2,

Both of my stands are the early welded aluminum ones with very few moving parts. Sounds are not your friend.View attachment 47034View attachment 47034

Thats a neat stand. How high up are you? Hubby did good first bow practice but all I got was whelps on my arms. We need to practice more but so much work or something tears up to have time to do so.

Thats a neat stand. How high up are you? Hubby did good first bow practice but all I got was whelps on my arms. We need to practice more but so much work or something tears up to have time to do so.

My haul line is 30', I go up in the dark and when the line give my a tug I stop... I assume I was about 30' up.

You need to get an arm guard and correct your grip. The string should not be hitting your arm, practice form, draw. When My daughter started bow hunting I make a set of elastic handles (pvc Pipe with surgical tubing laced in loops, adjusted to her draw weight) she would practice proper stance, and drawing the "bow", then we moved to target practice.

I have a 60lb longbow and a 40lb recurve not English but it is longer than a recurve and yes the shooting of a longbow takes a different technique than a recurve, now a compound is all together different.

My haul line is 30', I go up in the dark and when the line give my a tug I stop... I assume I was about 30' up.

You need to get an arm guard and correct your grip. The string should not be hitting your arm, practice form, draw. When My daughter started bow hunting I make a set of elastic handles (pvc Pipe with surgical tubing laced in loops, adjusted to her draw weight) she would practice proper stance, and drawing the "bow", then we moved to target practice.
Ok soon as we get back to it I'll try to learn more ,some here gave me some pointers but that was awhile back.Thank you.

When I started, I made a folding target the size of a briefcase, I would get up around sun-up and go onto the powerlines, and shoot the target for a few minutes, put it all away and do it again the next day. Eventually if you just shoot the bulls eye you will shoot through the target or hit you arrows robin hood style (not good).

When we moved into our current house it had an unfurnished basement, I put in 2 rows of floor to ceiling shelves (about 60' of them), between the shelves is a 3' walkway space, at one end is my shooting station, the other end is my practice target, surrounded by 8 cheep targets of the same size, behind that are TP Stores, 3 bales wide, 6 bales high, 2 rows, then there is plywood, and a concrete wall. I place either 4 or 9 dime size targets on the commercial target (Or cardboard stapled to it) I only shoot 1 arrow at each target as I work up to hunting season I will shoot 1 set of dots in the morning, 1 in the evening. When I can consistantly hit 9 dimes at 20 yards, I move outdoors to practice longer shots.

Just before hunting season I make sure that my broadheads are hitting the same as the practice points (sometime they fly differently). During hunting season, I carry an 8" frisbe ring and place it some distance from my tree, I also carry 1 prictice broadhead (I spray paint it orange (don't want to make any mistakes). Sometime during the hunt, usually towards the end, I will take the shot at the frisbe ring with the practice arrow, just to make sure that my form is right. When bow hunting from a treestand remember to bend at the waist (keeping your arm, head, and torso geometry the same as when you are shooting on the ground, if you drop your arm to adjust for the elevation you will shoot way low.

I'd like to get a new Ruger MARK IV for squirrel hunting,but who knows when I get the money. I really miss the Mark II I had back in the 90s.
https://www.ruger.com/products/markIVTarget/models.html
I saw a new MK4 with a 10" bull barrel. That looked interesting but you just know it will be very unbalanced. A Ruger MK something should be in everyone's collection along with a Ruger 10/22. Those things are just good old fashion fun. Yes, I have both.

I saw a new MK4 with a 10" bull barrel. That looked interesting but you just know it will be very unbalanced. A Ruger MK something should be in everyone's collection along with a Ruger 10/22. Those things are just good old fashion fun. Yes, I have both.
I haven't ever had a 10/22 but I had a 10" and 6" bull barrel both MKII. The 10" was somewhat unbalanced but very accurate. It's not near as unbalanced as my 14" T/C G2 Contenders though ;).

Back