New kitty

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearl

Finder of lost things AND The Boss
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
IMG_20221002_165218352.jpg

Trying to get a face picture, she has the most beautiful green eyes! This is Annie, someone dumped her at my front gate at 4:30 this morning. Happen to have Bear out for a pee when the vehicle stopped. We are on a very remote dead end road! At daybreak she was looking for food and nice as can be, my barn cat, Baby Cakes, is letting her stay! She is very young and had kittens and is recently dried up. Got an appointment Thursday to get her spayed and to get a rabies shot! Any cat Baby Cakes tolerates can stay!! She is emaciated! She will also get dewormer Thursday. Her coat actually looks nice and shiney! Updates coming!!

I can't stand to see a critter suffer. Folks have been dumping critters out here since I was a kid. If they can't take care of it... take care of the situation, don't let one suffer. Don't dump a sick or neglected critter to become someone else's problem. Or...

I just had to deal with a large pack of feral cats, trapped about 40 of them. My county has no way to deal with dumped animals that become feral. They were diseased, covered in fleas but predators none the less. Got my one little barn cat killed

That's what happens more and more often. Seems that way.
-----------------------

Post some more pics, especially as she gets better, young you say? Can't tell it from the pic.

It looks like our Spook, eyes and all. Ours showed up as a kitten at our door on Halloween night 13 years ago, hence the name Spook (as in scary spooky). It took a hot dog to catch him lol.

Good on ya, Pearl, for taking care of that poor unloved kitty... the shelters are full of animals right now thanks to all the manufactured grief brought upon us by dirty globalist swine & their political tools, so any time one can save a cat (or a dog), that lightens the load on the shelters. I've seriously considered rescuing the other two kittens from this litter, now that Tiger & Crackhead are mellowing out toward the youngsters. Even though I'm strapped due to recent tire purchases, I'm definitely considering it... might even call the shelter today and see if those two remaining kittens from this litter are still available. Have a family reunion like the one Peanut just had, lol. ;)

As an aside, I woke at 04:19 this morning to be showered with unconditional kitten love as I lay there on the ol' rack... all three kittens lying up against me and purring away like a house on fire. Spent the next half-hour sharing quality time with the kittens before I went back to sleep. Moments like those are the reason why I love my cats... and they'll come in handy this winter when the temps drop, lol. I'll stuff those little bed warmers under the covers and let 'em keep me nice and toasty, aye? All three kittens are bonding well with me, they all show great affection at times, and I'm doing my best to train them in the art of survival here in the high desert, lol. :cool:

IMG_20221005_083132225.jpg

So Annie is going to the county animal shelter to get spayed tomorrow. I found out about a new free cat spay and neuter program they have. Just have to get in line and wait, but she gets her basic shots and fixed for free. I'll make a donation to the shelter! She is making herself right at home. Feeling good, lots of energy. Just have to get a bunch of weight on her!

Annie cat is doing great after her surgery! She will be spending nights in the feed shed for about a week. It's funny, you take a house cat or dog in to be fixed and they tell you keep them quiet for two weeks, restrict activity, etc.! Take a barn or ferrel cat to be fixed and they tell you to keep them up one night then let them out in the morning!! Annie is out now, went in her insulated coop on the front porch. She ate and drank good and seems happy to be home! The "free clinic" I took her to is a vet school, my regular vet was the one teaching and doing the surgeries yesterday! Go figure!!

Annie cat is doing great after her surgery! She will be spending nights in the feed shed for about a week. It's funny, you take a house cat or dog in to be fixed and they tell you keep them quiet for two weeks, restrict activity, etc.! Take a barn or ferrel cat to be fixed and they tell you to keep them up one night then let them out in the morning!! Annie is out now, went in her insulated coop on the front porch. She ate and drank good and seems happy to be home! The "free clinic" I took her to is a vet school, my regular vet was the one teaching and doing the surgeries yesterday! Go figure!!
Thanks for taking good care of Annie :)

Thanks for taking good care of Annie :)
There are SO many fur babies out there that need a loving home!! I'm glad to know there are ferrel cat fix and release programs, at least they have a better chance! I sure am glad Annie got dumped off at my place! But there are so many better options than taking the chance of tossing one out!

It's great they offer ferrel cat neuter/spay days. Our vet does clinics for this as well every so often. Other people raise money for her.

Here is a statement Cindy made after the clinic was done a couple weeks ago. I tried to copy the FB link but it wouldn't let me. Cindy works her butt off.

I don't think most people even know this, I didn't.

We at Lakelands Trail Veterinary Clinic want to thank the residents of Stockbridge and surrounding areas for another successful Spay/Neuter clinic for cats. The 36 animals spayed and neutered yesterday could have produced over 14 MILLION offspring in the next ten years.

More spay/neuter clinics will happen in the future, please watch our page for updates. These clinics are a passion project of Dr. Anderson's to help control the feral and barn cat population, her hard work and dedication to this important cause is what we (her employees) admire the most! This year alone, Dr. Anderson has held 7 spay/neuter clinics for cats and over 200 cats have been removed from the breeding population!

Cincinnati is lucky, there a couple places that do TNR. The one I volunteer at is OAR : Ohio Alleycat Resource & Spay/Neuter Clinic - Home

I also feed and shelter "community cats". 2 regulars this summer, and 3 or 4 occasional visitors.
Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.28.16 PM.png

The tabby is Calcatta, the gray one is Grayson

Last edited:
Annie is her happy self this morning. I felt bad locking her in the feed shed overnight but safety first. She has everything she needs in there. When I opened the door this morning she was in her bed and came out in no rush! That made me feel better. She ate good and is out with Baby Cakes for the day now!

She is quite the bird hunter!! This is probably the first cold weather she has ever seen, the vet that did her spaying thought she was only six months old, now 7 1/2! She is doing great outside with her big sister/mentor! Have heated mats in a couple of the insulated dog houses (how dare I call them that), so they go snuggle up when they have had enough birding! I need to take some new pictures, she has grown some and put on weight! I'm so glad to see her happy and enjoying life!!

I have a pair of feral kittens hanging round the building I live in. The building has a business in the front, my residence above, and a warehouse behind with storage units in it. There is a side door on the north side that doesn't seal up well. It leads to an old feed mill in side from ages ago. (The warehouse apparently was a feed mill once upon a time. My driveway is actually the old weight scale.)

These kittens are going under that side door at night. Occasionally I catch a glimpse of them as they disappear into the darkness. They are wild as snakes. My kid wants to put food out for them but I won't let her. I don't mind a wild cat or two around but next thing you know, I'll have muddy paw prints all over my truck...

I have a pair of feral kittens hanging round the building I live in. The building has a business in the front, my residence above, and a warehouse behind with storage units in it. There is a side door on the north side that doesn't seal up well. It leads to an old feed mill in side from ages ago. (The warehouse apparently was a feed mill once upon a time. My driveway is actually the old weight scale.)

These kittens are going under that side door at night. Occasionally I catch a glimpse of them as they disappear into the darkness. They are wild as snakes. My kid wants to put food out for them but I won't let her. I don't mind a wild cat or two around but next thing you know, I'll have muddy paw prints all over my truck...
They are eating somewhere! They will never be pets, putting food out will attract more than those cats.

Beautiful black cat! Can you believe morons used to kill black cats because they thought they were "evil?" Or somehow associated with the Devil? Talk about some ignorant inbred trash... to me, black cats are a sign of GOOD LUCK!!! :cool:

You all know I LOVE cats and I have a soft spot for people who rescue them. Thank you for taking such good care of her, Pearl. She's beautiful! I have a special place in my heart for black cats. When I was born my parents already had a black cat and a Siamese cat.
People abandon pets in my area all the time too.

My cat, Itsy, just got jealous because I was looking at pics of Annie so she just jumped on me. LOL.

Latest posts

Back