New Laws Address Floridas Algae,Pythons,Iguanas ,Sea Levels

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

So far no algae problem,hope it stays that way, but we still have the huge Burmese Pythons,which took the fun out of swamp fishing. Also the monkeys are getting more territorial aka braver and meaner.

1596154563828.png

Last edited:

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
BacP may be heading your way before long.:eyeballs:

1596156531137.png

Scientists brought 10 Burmese pythons to South Carolina to test the validity of one study that said the snakes could survive as far north as Washington, D.C.
Looks like they may be heading to the " SWAMP" IN dc.

Last edited:

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
:eyeballs::eyeballs:Maybe, but probably get to Peanut before me. Hmmm, Might have to learn how to cook snake.
Yep!
Down here, all you gotta say is:
"ya know, you can make a good gumbo wit dem, right?"
Population problem solved.
The only thing keeping the pythons and lizards alive in Florida is their silly game laws written by animal-rights activists.
Texas got their feral hog population explosion under control fast.
They basically said to hunt them, 24/7/365, any size, any sex, day or night, no limit, any weapon, night vision ok, legal machine-guns ok, shoot them from helicopters, JUST SHOOT THEM! SHOOT THEM ALL!
Guess what? There is plenty of bacon and ham in Texas!
Yummy.gif

Python-skin boots sell for $1,000 a pair. All they have to do is make it 'not illegal' to hunt them.
Their "problem" would vanish quick.
Their current solution is to 'catch and release'
brickwall100.gif
. Stupid.

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Is that wild hog problem under control in Texas? I am pretty sure it is not. There are too many. One of my sons is a novice at it, but he goes out with a friend at night and they see too many. Hard to get a shot, the hogs are sneaky and aware.

Supervisor42

Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Is that wild hog problem under control in Texas? I am pretty sure it is not. There are too many. One of my sons is a novice at it, but he goes out with a friend at night and they see too many. Hard to get a shot, the hogs are sneaky and aware.
I didn't say they weren't hard to hunt, and that there wasn't still an abundance of them.
Tell your son: high-capacity mags and rapid fire
machine-gun.gif
. Night-vision sight is a big plus.
The important thing is that he and others are out shooting every one they can.
Just try to imagine how many hogs would be running around everywhere out there if it was 'illegal' to shoot them
emo12.gif
. Millions.
That's Florida.

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
They basically said to hunt them, 24/7/365, any size, any sex, day or night, no limit, any weapon, night vision ok, legal machine-guns ok, shoot them from helicopters, JUST SHOOT THEM! SHOOT THEM ALL!
I'm saying it is not under control. That's why it's still open market.
I will tell him, but I think he knows that. It was a whole new thing for him so he has a lot to learn and likes to share all the ridiculous mistakes he makes and his friend's response. lol
Now, saying feral hog, there are three kinds of wild hog, aren't there?
I'm surprised there isn't more action on the iguanas and pythons in Florida.

Supervisor42

Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm saying it is not under control. That's why it's still open market.
I will tell him, but I think he knows that. It was a whole new thing for him so he has a lot to learn and likes to share all the ridiculous mistakes he makes and his friend's response. lol
Now, saying feral hog, there are three kinds of wild hog, aren't there?
I'm surprised there isn't more action on the iguanas and pythons in Florida.
You are right. I said they got the 'population explosion' under control.
.Now, saying feral hog, there are three kinds of wild hog, aren't there?
I'm sure there are 3 kinds. Domestic hogs that have escaped and gone feral.
The offspring of those.
Natural 'wild hogs' that have always lived in the wild.

For us, the 3 kinds are simple: 1. Alive. 2. Dead. 3. Wounded.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Much of Florida is experiencing one of its warmest springs on record, and 2020 has, so far, been the hottest year ever in Miami. "It's been very warm," Barry Rosen, who teaches ecology and environmental studies at Florida Gulf Coast University, told WBBH-TV. "Cyanobacteria like it very warm."

A sign warns of blue-green algae in the water near the Port Mayaca Lock and Dam on Lake Okeechobee on July 13, 2018, in Port Mayaca, Florida. (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

A sign warns of blue-green algae in the water near the Port Mayaca Lock and Dam on Lake Okeechobee on July 13, 2018, in Port Mayaca, Florida.
(Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Blo

Blue-green algae is showing up in parts of Florida's Lake Okeechobee earlier than usual this year after an exceptionally warm spring across much of the state. ... Much of Florida is experiencing one of its warmest springs on record, and 2020 has, so far, been the hottest year ever in Miami.Apr 17, 2020
Blue-Green Algae Showing Up Early This Year in Some ...
weather.com › news › news › 2020-04-16-blue-gree

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Yep!
Down here, all you gotta say is:
"ya know, you can make a good gumbo wit dem, right?"
Population problem solved.
The only thing keeping the pythons and lizards alive in Florida is their silly game laws written by animal-rights activists.
Guess what? There is plenty of bacon and ham in Texas!View attachment 47338
Python-skin boots sell for $1,000 a pair. All they have to do is make it 'not illegal' to hunt them.
Their "problem" would vanish quick.
Their current solution is to 'catch and release'View attachment 47339. Stupid.
Meantime they destroy the natural habitat .Our wildlife keeps nature in balance but non native wildlife that have no preditors they can wipe out wildlife.

rusty

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Feral hogs are bad here in Missouri too. The most surprising import here is armadillos. Up until about 20 years ago, I had never seen one in southern Mo. Now you can see them in Iowa.

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Feral hogs are bad here in Missouri too. The most surprising import here is armadillos. Up until about 20 years ago, I had never seen one in southern Mo. Now you can see them in Iowa.
Armadillos have finally got the word about global warming? Possums have figured that out for awhile. Some of them make it through Vermont winters now.

Supervisor42

Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Meantime they destroy the natural habitat .Our wildlife keeps nature in balance but non native wildlife that have no preditors they can wipe out wildlife.
Only if idiots protect the invasive species with laws!
Pythons invading Alabama? That's a no.
Alabama does not protect invasive species, and when the iguanas invaded, they put out the word to kill any and all of this invasive species, on sight.
Alabama rednecks can make a sport out of anything. Exterminate!!!
DrWho.gif

If the pythons do get into Alabama, they will not make it very far before redneck children will have fantastic shoes😍.
The important part that is lost in this discussion is that Florida is PROTECTING these invasive species and then complaining about them taking over. Stupid.
@VThillman: I'm sure if pythons are cooked the right way, they would taste great. Very muscular, like a gator;). (which tastes like chicken).

Last edited:

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I would not eat feral hogs, pythons, alligators, and possum as a means to provide my nutrition no matter how tasty.
But back to the law.
"Another new law makes it illegal to possess, import, barter, trade, sell or breed green iguanas and tegu lizards. People who currently have a license to breed the reptiles would be grandfathered in under the bill but could only sell the lizards to customers in other states."

Thanks a lot, Florida law.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I would not eat feral hogs, pythons, alligators, and possum as a means to provide my nutrition no matter how tasty.
But back to the law.
"Another new law makes it illegal to possess, import, barter, trade, sell or breed green iguanas and tegu lizards. People who currently have a license to breed the reptiles would be grandfathered in under the bill but could only sell the lizards to customers in other states."

They don't care about the world they are leaving their own children they sure as hell don't care about ours or us.
It seems we have 3 major partys working agaisnt our nations survival and zero working for it.
Money and power is the name of the game.Caring about our environment doesn't mean your a liberal tree hugging moldy headed nutcase. It means you have common sense and understand that Wall Street needs watcing and turning blind eye just because your a republican need to stop.
I;m very mad at Desantis for not keeping his promise of restoring the natural glow to Everglades.
I'm feel like G.Carlon far as politiics go, ' its a club and you ain't in it'. But I consider myself a conservarive Chrirstian American.
I do worry for our young.

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Only if idiots protect the invasive species with laws!
Pythons invading Alabama? That's a no.
Alabama does not protect invasive species, and when the iguanas invaded, they put out the word to kill any and all of this invasive species, on sight.
Alabama rednecks can make a sport out of anything. Exterminate!!!View attachment 47383
If the pythons do get into Alabama, they will not make it very far before redneck children will have fantastic shoes😍.
The important part that is lost in this discussion is that Florida is PROTECTING these invasive species and then complaining about them taking over. Stupid.
@VThillman: I'm sure if pythons are cooked the right way, they would taste great. Very muscular, like a gator;). (which tastes like chicken).
I read somewhere years ago that kudzu leaves are edible (didn't say that they're tasty). Python steak with sweet taters and kudzu greens?
BTW Patch, wild meat can be good and good fer ya, just needs to be cooked well done

Last edited:

Supervisor42

Neighbor
HCL Supporter
But back to the law.

Only in July 2019 were homeowners in Florida
quote.gif
allowed
quote.gif
to kill iguanas without a "permit".
They quickly back-pedaled saying they didn't mean 'killing them".
There are still serious restrictions on 'how' homeowners can do this because of their 'anti-cruelty' laws.
Like: "Just make them disappear, don't actually kill them
flower70.gif
".
Stupid.

Last edited:

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I don't know. I didn't tear open any law books but I was looking. I cannot find anything on it being illegal to eliminate invading living creatures. Seriously, if you feel threatened by a large creature with a thrashing tail, teeth and claws, something you could get salmonella from. . . Or those monkeys.....Yeah, I saw the no cruelty part.

How many people do you think really give a flip over whether it is legal to kill invaders? And how many people do you think will report such activity?

Patchouli

Patriot
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I read somewhere years ago that kudzu leaves are edible (didn't say that they're tasty). Python steak with sweet taters and kudzu greens?
BTW Patch, wild meat can be good and good fer ya, just needs to be cooked well done
Hi vthillman. I thought wild game was fine to eat, until I didn't think that, which is now. My brother used to bring home squirrel, pheasant, and rabbit. Pheasant was ok. A dear uncle went lots of places bringing home big game. Some tasty, some not. A friend emptied his freezer every fall and gave the meats to us...Pennsylvania white tail. We were hungry.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I can't imagine why any eniromental agency would ever allow exotic or any other kinds of dangerous wildlife to enter into our nation.
Much less give " pet " shops permission to breed and sell them.
Florida has already almost lost the last remaining large cat aka Florida Panther. One killed our nieghbors goat and a few chickens about 15 years ago.We went down and helped them bury since she was sick. Next thing we know we heard they had illegally killed the cat who is on the endangered list.

Last edited:

VThillman

Geezer
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I can't imagine why any eniromental agency would ever allow exotic or any other kinds of dangerous wildlife to enter into our nation.
Much less give " pet " shops permission to breed and sell them.
Glorida has already almost lost the last emaing large cat aka Florida Panther. One killed our nieghbors goat and a few chickens about 15 years ago.We went down and helped them bury since she was sick. Next thing we know we heard they had illegally killed the cat who is on the endangered list.
I'm guessing your neighbor was supposed to contact the appropriate state agency, who would theoretically send people to capture the cat and take it into the wilderness from which it came, and release it there. Does that even work?

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I'm guessing your neighbor was supposed to contact the appropriate state agency, who would theoretically send people to capture the cat and take it into the wilderness from which it came, and release it there. Does that even work?
Yes it would work for me. Long as they took it far enough away so it wouldn't come back to her place. We have to do someting but I am not sure what to save our wildlife aand protect our domestic animals too.

Supervisor42

Neighbor
HCL Supporter
...capture the cat and take it into the wilderness from which it came, and release it there. Does that even work?
No, it doesn't. With Florida filling up with people, the big cat is doomed.
Take the 30-foot long pythons where exactly? You gonna take one?
And their definition of 'cruelty' basically means intentionally causing the death of an animal.
The "animal rights activists" outnumber regular people in Florida.
You ain't killin' nothin' down there without facing jail time, a steep fine, or both.

Last edited:

Latest posts