New porch

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am expecting a delivery of lumber and hardware from the local builder's supply today. I drew up plans for a replacement porch and ordered the lumber and supplies. I'll start by cutting all the pieces and coating them with urethane. Then I get to assemble and mount it to the house.

It's a mall porch with stairs on opposite sides. The porch platform is 5.5 feet by 4.5 feet. A single stair step is all that it will need to get to the platform.
The porch that was there when I bought the home had the step on one side only and I want it to have them on both sides. It was made using poor materials and indoor hardware. Most of the screws had either rusted or broken and I would not have known if I hadn't had to remove it when I was replacing the perimeter boards. I almost never use the front door because it isn't handy to the gardens or the out buildings.
I am also going to put a hand rail on it. We have friends and relatives who need the assistance of a hand rail when going up stairs. It will also make it look nicer, more "finished".
As to pictures... I will try to get some but I get focused when working so you may not get any. I spent the last three days drawing it and refining it so I can build it and expect it to last 25 years.

I thought about the standard coatings. Stain has to be reapplied annually; paint wears off the deck, fades in the sun and has to be reapplied about every two years. The poly-urethane I will use is used as a spar varnish and is not sensitive to the UV. It withstands wear better than porch and deck paint, completely seals the wood and protects against bugs. It will have to be refinished on the deck surface between 4 and 5 years but it only takes a light sanding and a couple of new coats. I can sprinkle sand on a wet coat and then put a coat over that to give it better traction when wet and improve the wear resistance. If I wanted a longer lasting finish I would have to go with epoxy but it doesn't resist UV as well and is a lot harder to apply and refinish later. I suppose I could use truck bed-liner paint but it is just ugly. I think the wood should be nice to look at and be functional over an extended period.
Do you have any other suggestions?

Do you have any other suggestions?
You're on top of it. You didn't mention so I'll ask, what are you putting under the deck to keep weeds and other nastiness away?

5 minutes ago, I had 23 tons of 2B gravel delivered. Some for french drains, some for under the deck. For both areas, I'll be putting down road cloth first to keep the mud out of the stone.

The porch is all done except for the hand rail. I am in the middle of making a doweling jig so I can join the six pieces together with 1/2" dowels. This is where things get complicated. I have to cut the angles correctly on the rails and spindles. Then I have to drill for the dowels and bolts. I will have to remove a couple of the treads on the deck to access the screws. The plan is on paper and in my head and it looks like it will work. The porch itself looks good and is at least functional now.

Latest posts

Back