• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

New Rossi "Triple Black" Rifle

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am not sure how well a peep sight works that far away from an eyeball. But the rail is nice.

My cheap Marlin 336W works just fine for me. I could paint the wood black if I wanted to be more tacticool.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I grew up with 200" of rain every year. Plastic sounds great, with SS even better. The 550 cord is a nice touch though I'd like that better with SS. I'd hate to unwind that and find rust.

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
These all black "tactical" lever guns are crazy popular however and they are flying off the store shelves. I wonder if their popularity is based on the modern-cowboy cool factor or if people are adding something to their arsenals that would survive a wide-berth liberal assault weapons ban. One of my local gun shops that sells reloading supplies said that in the last few years he has had a hard time keeping 30-30 (as well as 6.5 creedmoor) brass & bullets in stock.

Haertig

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have a Rossi R92 in .45Colt. I really like it. Wood/Blued. The wood is not fancy, but it's nice enough for basic. I have a tang sight on it that works well. It is butter smooth after I did the "Steves Gunz" action work on it. I like the Winchester 1892 action used by the Rossi - specifically designed for shorter pistol cartridges.

Morgan101

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Call me an old school traditionalist, but IMHO it is butt ugly. When I get another lever action it will be a Henry.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My lever gun is an octagon barrel in .30 WCF.

viking

I know a lot of things, but master very few
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I am not sure how well a peep sight works that far away from an eyeball. But the rail is nice.

My cheap Marlin 336W works just fine for me. I could paint the wood black if I wanted to be more tacticool.
I believe you're on the mark, that peep sight should be on top of the reciever, far closer to your eye.

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter

I can answer how well the peep works, from experience.

I grew up shooting a Mossberg .22, Model 46 B-B if I recall right. It had interchangeable barrel mounted rear sights, one of which was a peep. I could hit a gnat's behind with it when I was a youngster. I pulled off some ridiculous shots back then, like center punching starlings and sparrows from over 50 yards. Not so much any more...that barrel mounted peep looks really small nowadays.

Group Builder