• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

New S&W Shield 9mm EZ

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
A 9mm version of their popular Shield 380 EZ. I will of course be buying one as soon as they hit the store shelves. I have a couple regular Shields but I don't like the short grip as it pinches me almost every time I change mags in a hurry. Plus if the 9 EZ is anything like the 380 EZ, it will have a very clean crisp trigger and very little recoil.

For more information, visit smith-wesson.com.

Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Shield EZ Specs
  • Frame Size: Compact Slim
  • Caliber: 9mm Luger
  • Action: Internal Hammer Fired
  • Overall Capacity: 8+1 Rounds
  • Barrel Length: 3.67 inches
  • Front Sight: White Dot
  • Rear Sight: White Dot Adjustable for Windage
  • Frame Width: 1.04 inches
  • Overall Height: 5.05 inches
  • Overall Length: 6.85 inches
  • Sight Radius: 5.875 inches
  • Grip: Polymer
  • Weight: 23 ounces
  • Barrel Material: Stainless Steel with Armornite Finish
  • Slide Material: Stainless Steel with Armornite Finish
  • Frame Material: Polymer
  • Finish: Matte Black

smithwesson-21.jpg

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
They need to fatten the grip and allow double stacking of ammo, increasing the capacity. IMHO, until they do this, the gun is junk.
That gun is called the M&P M2.0 or the M&P M2.0 Compact or the M&P M2.0 Subcompact and those models already exist (and have for some time). That is not even close to the purpose of the Shield 380 EZ or the Shield 9mm EZ. They are specifically single stack, light triggered, low recoiling, easy to chamber handguns designed for people with limited hand strength, are recoil sensitive, do not want a fat double stack pistol, and do not want a short grip. Which is why the Shield 380 EZ and regular Shield 9mm are some of the best selling handguns in America. My Mom, mother-in-law, and my wife all have Shield 380 EZ's and they love 'em. After shooting my Mom's (and hating on the grip sleeve) My Dad has already said he will be trading in his regular Shield for a Shield 9mm EZ.

By the way this is the same size gun as a Walther CCP, Bersa BP9CC, Kahr CW9, and the Glock 48, which are also good sellers, but the EZ series has features those guns don't have (plus holds 2 less rounds than the G48).

ez-gun-info-final.png

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
By the way the MSRP is $479. However the MSRP on the 380 EZ is $416 and I paid between $299-310 for the 2 I purchased. So I am guessing when the newness wears off the store pricing on the 9mm EZ will be around $350.

Sparky_D

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I picked up my Shield new for $279 after rebate. If this becomes available in that street price range with rebate, I may consider it.

I like the concept of the grip safety.

While I sort of swore off any more 9mm compacts (1 Shield, 2 Taurus G2's and a PF9 already in the armory), this IS quite tempting...

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Here's a pic with no manual safety.

MP-9mm-Shield-EZ.jpg

hiwall

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My future daughter-in-law has a Shield 380 EZ. I am amazed at how easy it is to rack the slide. An excellent choice for anyone with weak hands that might have trouble racking the slide on most pistols.

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
They need to fatten the grip and allow double stacking of ammo, increasing the capacity. IMHO, until they do this, the gun is junk.
Some of us have smaller hands. Most double stacks don't fit me well. I like the Shield, but I like my little Ruger better for carry. It fits my hand almost perfectly, it's a little lighter and smaller and conceals just a bit better.

I applaud S&W for giving us more choices. I'm not sure I see the need for another Shield variant though...

Terri9630

Internet Princess
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Some of us have smaller hands. Most double stacks don't fit me well. I like the Shield, but I like my little Ruger better for carry. It fits my hand almost perfectly, it's a little lighter and smaller and conceals just a bit better.

I applaud S&W for giving us more choices. I'm not sure I see the need for another Shield variant though...
Which Ruger do you have? I like my Shield but its still a bit big for my liking.

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Which Ruger do you have? I like my Shield but its still a bit big for my liking.
I have the LC9s, subcompact 9mm. The EC9s is basically the same gun, but with fixed sights, and can be had new for less than$250. They are very light (1 lb, 2oz.) and very slim. The Rugers are .1 inch shorter length, .1 inch shorter height, .05 thinner, and an ounce or so lighter than the Shield 2.0, 3 oz lighter than the original Shield. It should be noted that the Shield has 1 more round capacity, and I would say the majority of people prefer the ergonomics of the Shield. I think it is just a little better than the Ruger, but not enough to make a difference.

Sparky_D

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My Shield is my carry gun for when I "can't" carry a gun (IE: deep conceal at work, doctors office, etc...). Otherwise, my G19 is my EDC.
Depending how the post release reviews and actual counter price falls, I may just have to add this to the list.
I almost bought the 380 EZ for the Mrs. If the 9 EZ has the same ergos, I think it'll be a better option for her than the 642 she currently carries (not that there's anything wrong with the 642, mind you. Just better capacity and easier reloads).

Sentry18

Hired Gun
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
So far the reviews have been very positive. There are a dozen or so on YouTube. I called my S&W sales rep and put one on order for my Dad.

Latest posts

Group Builder