New Skills & Extra Income!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalewick

11 Bravo
Neighbor
I'm teaching myself to make custom copper, bronze and silver jewelry for the wife to sell as a supplement to our retirement. I'm using some metalworking skills I already had and learning new skill sets. Does any one else on here make custom jewelry? I'll post some pictures when I get good enough to suit my standards.

Also learning scrimshaw.

What do others do for added income from the homestead?

I also paint, sculpt and carve.

Dale

dc19e0b0ff1a893cd2557e8a4b5acffc (2).jpg

44765808_1969815809707752_6636309902132248576_n.jpg

I flint knap also.

Your a very talented artist Dale!

Have you tried pyrography? That can be beautiful and very popular at markets etc and it doesn't alway have to be the more complex pictures. A neighbor burned, very nicely I should add, in cursive, the names of plants onto wood slats and sold them all very fast as plant markers.

Shou sugi ban is also really popular right now. I am trying to make small furniture like side and coffee tables with this finish. I am not what I would call good but then I don't have much time to dedicate to learning it right now.

You could do wood and resin jewelry as well. Or combine it with your custom metal jewelry.
https://images.app.goo.gl/vQZTQpfjPHk8A9KK9

Very nice flint knapping! Do they still have the WV state Arts & Crafts Festival?

For a brief time I lived in Sissonville WV. Just after I moved there, I saw the festival advertised and went. They had a lot of the crafts you describe.

Funny, at the festival I saw some rustic paintings by someone named W. Edens. I kept going back and looking, I really liked them but they were way out of my budget. A couple of weeks later I was eating at the only diner in Sissonville. I looked up on the wall at another rustic painting. It was signed W. Edens. So I asked the folks at the diner about this person.

Turns out this artist was Wilma Edens and she was my next-door neighbor!!! Small world!!! After a meeting was arranged, I went to her home and bought 3 paintings directly from her. I still have them on my walls to this very day.

Anyway, please post more of your work.

Very nice flint knapping! Do they still have the WV state Arts & Crafts Festival?

For a brief time I lived in Sissonville WV. Just after I moved there, I saw the festival advertised and went. They had a lot of the crafts you describe.

Funny, at the festival I saw some rustic paintings by someone named W. Edens. I kept going back and looking, I really liked them but they were way out of my budget. A couple of weeks later I was eating at the only diner in Sissonville. I looked up on the wall at another rustic painting. It was signed W. Edens. So I asked the folks at the diner about this person.

Turns out this artist was Wilma Edens and she was my next-door neighbor!!! Small world!!! After a meeting was arranged, I went to her home and bought 3 paintings directly from her. I still have them on my walls to this very day.

Anyway, please post more of your work.
As far as I know they still have the festival. While we were working we never had time to attend. I'm hoping to change that next year. I need to learn to photograph my work better. Maybe I can talk the wife into learning that. She's a very talented photographer. I take wildlife photos well, but that's about it. Thanks for the complement.

Dale

Good Morning Dalewick: Your creative skills are off the charts good. I am envious, but only in a good way. You do beautiful work. I feel very pleased with myself if I am able to make a board.

For secondary income I am a High School sports official. I have been doing it for a very long time. I did college as well, but retired from that a few years ago. I really don't want to travel. It is something I truly love, and can do on my own schedule.

I wish I had some skills or artistic abilities.
I can shoot but have not done competition shooting for many years and that sure wasn't a money maker(though I have won many a turkey at turkey shoots).
I guess I'll just stay fully retired.

Best of luck on your endeavors!

I am a metalsmith but I rarely do any jewelry. It is time consuming and unless you use precious metal and semi-precious stones you can't make enough to justify it. It takes me less time to build brass handles for a rolling pin than it does to make a brass rose leaf.

Your a very talented artist Dale!

Have you tried pyrography? That can be beautiful and very popular at markets etc and it doesn't alway have to be the more complex pictures. A neighbor burned, very nicely I should add, in cursive, the names of plants onto wood slats and sold them all very fast as plant markers.

Shou sugi ban is also really popular right now. I am trying to make small furniture like side and coffee tables with this finish. I am not what I would call good but then I don't have much time to dedicate to learning it right now.

You could do wood and resin jewelry as well. Or combine it with your custom metal jewelry.
https://images.app.goo.gl/vQZTQpfjPHk8A9KK9
Rebecca, I do some wood burning when wood carving. Mostly to add definition to feathers or fur of animals and birds I carve. Thanks for the ideas!

Dale

Latest posts

Back