New SKS sight in

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by Spikedriver, Oct 26, 2018.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 26, 2018 #1

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend Neighbor Contributor

Finally got my SKS to the range today. First impressions:

That thing is LOUD! I was really surprised that a cartridge that small could make that much boom...

I have to increase the length of pull. The stock must be made for people under 5' tall...

It shot OK for iron sights and my middle aged eyes...but nothing spectacular. Might have to get a forward mount scope or red dot...

It was on paper at 25 yards, about 1" low and a little left...

I like it! No jams, soft shooting, and cheap to shoot, what's not to like?

BlueZ, Terri9630, hiwall and 2 others like this.
  2. Oct 26, 2018 #2

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

When I took my two SKSs to the range I was very disappointed. The "good" one would group about 3 inches at 100 yards and the other one produced shotgun patterns not groups. This was with steel Chinese ammo so I tried some US made rounds with nearly the same results. I made a half hearted attempt to work loads up at the reloading bench but finally just put the "good" SKS in the back of the safe and dismantled the bad one with the intent of making it into a straight pull bolt action 35 caliber carbine. I haven't taken the time to finish it yet.
    In the end the SKS is a battle rifle made to hit (not necessarily kill) man size targets out to about 200 meters. It will do that but all my other rifles are good for temple shots at that range and I prefer the precision of a good bolt action rifle even though my AR is capable of groups under 1" at 100 yards. I practice shooting off hand (from the shoulder, no sling and no support) with a rifle at least three times a month. I'm no sniper but I am a fair shot out to 600 yards with my rifles and out to 100 yards with my pistols. At close range, 10 feet to 10 yards, I prefer my shotguns for the sheer stopping power. From 10 yards out to 50 yards I like my 357 and out to 25 yards I think the 9mm will perform satisfactorily. Beyond 50 yards the battle rifles are good to almost 200 but beyond that range my bolt action rifles reign supreme. Not many people have a 35 caliber rifle that will shoot groups below an inch at 200 yards and I can go from 22, 25, 7mm, 30 caliber up to 35 with any of my rifles for any specific target. I like precision shooting!

BlueZ, Patchouli, ssonb and 1 other person like this.
  3. Oct 26, 2018 #3

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

I'm with you, I actually like bolt guns best, but I don't own any right now. The SKS is simply a cheap SHTF rifle, which is more "ban-proof" than AR style guns. Plus I like the cheap stripper clips and ammo. I didn't buy it for precision work. For that, someday, I hope to have another hot rod .25/06, maybe even a Ruger #1, to dump coyotes from a looooong ways away...

4. Oct 26, 2018 #4

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

You won't get any argument from me, the SKS is a good, battle proven, weapon for its intended use.

Caribou and Spikedriver like this.
  5. Nov 23, 2018 #5

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patchouli

Patriot Neighbor Contributor

@SheepDog ...thanks. I never know who to ask what. The way you laid out your preferences of weapons for what distances.