new thoughts on the showups

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I know we have had discussions on the response to people showing up after an event who "know" you have prepared. We all try to camo our efforts in the prepping arena but something or someone will slip past. So with that being said lets get to the subject. THE THREAT....The subject shows up and at first begs then tries to reason then accuses and finally threatens to reveal or come back with others to force you to be more generous!! The thing we must come to grips with is that 1..it is not our fault or reasonability for the people and their children who have spent their time on cruises and expensive toys and not insured to the best of any ones ability that they have some basic skills and items in case of some unforeseen event. 2 ... trying to reason with someone who has the instant gratification education is going to be like discussion of Trump to a "gimmdatt" It aint gonna work. Even if you give then something that will satisfy the immediate impulse in their brain, but once the meal has worn off they will be back with children in tow insisting,pleading, threatening why do the need to go further its better here? When you give them a meal even with a strong warning only the intelligent will be able to read the tea leaves and move on the rest is just going to be your problem tomorrow or the next day . If we do not already have a community of similar goaled people with skills you are going to have to recruit , there might just be someone who has the education or skills that will quickly adapt and become a valuable group member , One way to tell is they will have bargaining skills and have a different approach to the "Table" . ...How will you respond to the initial threat? second... how will you set up your interview and selection process to help weed out the liars and loafers?

"I might have enough for you if we all cut way back to eating just barely enough to survive. So you can join us but on condition that you would then kill every other person who might happen to show up here and that would have to include all women and children. If you will do that while we all are on half rations then you can join us."

Half rations or one quarter is more than nuthin,...plus why would you invite this person in they might just love killin . You need a qualifying process to even let someone up to the front guardhouse gate, I tried some time ago to broach this subject and none of the mods were receptive . Not mad atall it seems that with the changes in the national temperament it may be time to revisit the idea.

I know we have had discussions on the response to people showing up after an event who "know" you have prepared. We all try to camo our efforts in the prepping arena but something or someone will slip past. So with that being said lets get to the subject. THE THREAT....The subject shows up and at first begs then tries to reason then accuses and finally threatens to reveal or come back with others to force you to be more generous!! The thing we must come to grips with is that 1..it is not our fault or reasonability for the people and their children who have spent their time on cruises and expensive toys and not insured to the best of any ones ability that they have some basic skills and items in case of some unforeseen event. 2 ... trying to reason with someone who has the instant gratification education is going to be like discussion of Trump to a "gimmdatt" It aint gonna work. Even if you give then something that will satisfy the immediate impulse in their brain, but once the meal has worn off they will be back with children in tow insisting,pleading, threatening why do the need to go further its better here? When you give them a meal even with a strong warning only the intelligent will be able to read the tea leaves and move on the rest is just going to be your problem tomorrow or the next day . If we do not already have a community of similar goaled people with skills you are going to have to recruit , there might just be someone who has the education or skills that will quickly adapt and become a valuable group member , One way to tell is they will have bargaining skills and have a different approach to the "Table" . ...How will you respond to the initial threat? second... how will you set up your interview and selection process to help weed out the liars and loafers?

This is a good topic of discussion. I have often thought of there being a trial period, but that would give some people time to learn the inside of how things work so they can make their plan of attack.

What are the desired traits?
1. Honesty
2. hard worker
3. team player

I think of a series of tests or assessments to see what people will do when tested, such as someone leaving a plate with some of their food on it, while they step out for a minute or having the person wear a coat or jacket with something of seeming value in a pocket. Whether they keep it or give it back will be telling. Asking the person to show you some of their basic skills: splitting firewood, starting a fire, cooking something, doing a basic scouting trip with someone who will be observing reactions and awareness. Are they talkative? Quiet? Observant? Friendly? Sullen? Outgoing? Introverted? Easily angry? Sneaky? Quick to apologize? Helpful? Self starter? When asked to do something, do they follow through? As the interviewers, what is your gut instinct? Do they have a need to be in charge or in control? Can they follow directions? Can they take directions from others and not resist them? Can they tell personal stories (which reveals what their values are and what they are like)?

There are people who can sell you swamp land in Arizona. These are the kind of duplicitous people who have been lying and schmoozing, and like silver tongued devils, speaking with split tongues their whole lives. In the same way they can talk their way in anywhere, they are also the people who will connive and sneak and have a plan to take over, the whole time looking like victims. You all know this type. They are out there. They are the people you might interview and hire, whose plan has been to climb over you and take your job from you.

I don't let anyone know that im a prepper.but yet I do a lil bit for a small handful of ppl.and far as im concerned. Everyone else is on their own.between now and the shtf/teotwawki situation..and when the shtf/teotwawki situation does happen.chances are.i'll have some allies.and some good friends to boot.if anyone comes around begging for food n water.i tell them that i don't have it.and that they need to go else where..and that'll be with a gun in hand.

I think weedy is on to the right idea. Fer instance of someone approached the interview table and claimed to be a blacksmith, under guard and blindfolded let them know you are taking them over to a cold forge and be given a simple BS test
like "make a nail" if they pass they get to stay under probation. A mechanic a simple qualifying test for them,a gardener etc ect. This will weed out a lot of pretenders.

Just send them to the nearest church or to a cut field to harvest the wheat left on the edges. Then you can teach them to thresh it grind some into flour and how to sprout the rest so they can get all the nutrients they need. Making them earn it will keep most from coming back. I can and will turn folks away. I have to put my family first and in uncertain times that means excluding the others.

I think this scenario would be late in the whole process of ShtF. Before the subject of who to let in, you'd have to deal with the people you already know. Those are the people who would know what you have right now. Dealing with those people would be more difficult than dealing with those I don't know. Not to be cruel, but most of my family (and in laws as well) would be about useless in a SHtF situation. There are a few that would be valuable, but many of them would be more of an anchor than a float. However, I would not be able to turn them away. Close family would have a place here, but they would have to earn it, which means they would have to change their ways and accept the fact that we are in charge. If they didn't like it, they would be free to leave. Currently, our family doesn't know we try to stay prepared for short to medium term disasters, but they know we have our ducks in a row with everyday things, so I'm certain they would likely turn to us sooner or later.

We keep trying to get MIL to buy a generator for storms and AFTER every storm where she loses power she always says she's going to go buy one but never does.:confused: That is pretty much the mentality of most of our family. Many of them don't even keep a stocked pantry. Instead, they will just run to the store and buy what they are making for dinner that night. Ug! That kind of lack of forethought drives me insane! My grocery store IS my pantry! When you stock it deep during sales, you always have food on hand and don't have to always run to the store to get this or that.

For folks I don't know.....if I'm still around, I certainly wouldn't act like I have provisions so why would they want to partner up with me? If they forced their way in to my home, they'd have a hard time finding anything. Most of my stuff is in places nobody would ever look. There's a reason for that.o_O

Last edited:
Just send them to the nearest church or to a cut field to harvest the wheat left on the edges. Then you can teach them to thresh it grind some into flour and how to sprout the rest so they can get all the nutrients they need. Making them earn it will keep most from coming back. I can and will turn folks away. I have to put my family first and in uncertain times that means excluding the others.

I have a little twist on that. I plan on finding a church with a soup kitchen, donating some food, and if someone shows at my door I'll tell them that church is where I get my food from. The plan is to let them think that I'm also out of food. I won't let the church know my name or location

I have a little twist on that. I plan on finding a church with a soup kitchen, donating some food, and if someone shows at my door I'll tell them that church is where I get my food from. The plan is to let them think that I'm also out of food. I won't let the church know my name or location
How do you know the people who come begging will not tell the church where they got the info from? Just thinking...

I have lots of experience with liars and loafers and manipulators and those wanting hand outs. I just tell people who are seeking handouts that I am not interested, if I even acknowledge them. Not even responding is an answer in itself!

Also, if someone knocks on your door, you DO NOT HAVE to answer it! It is the same with the telephone. I know many people have not had enough experiences to realize that they wished they had never answered the door. My thing is, if I know you are coming, I will be watching for you. If someone suddenly is knock on my door, it is probably not someone I want to talk to. I have enough experience with that!! I even have a note on my front door that says, "Did I know you were coming over? If I did not, I will not be answering the door." I know a few people who had tried to contact me, before the sign, that said they thought they heard something inside my home, but I didn't answer the door. Nope. It is one way to protect myself. Also, I have window coverings so people can't look in and see me if I am home or what I have or what I am doing.

Of course, where you live and how you live makes a difference. If you have land and live out in the country, how strong is the gate to your property and how secure is it? You may not want to live day to day keeping it locked up, but when SHTF, you want to be prepared for blocking people from easy entry. My grandparents house was set back from the road and cattle grazed between the house and the road. They had a gate to enter and leave their property that had to be opened and closed every time you went through it. Of course people can use all kinds of tactics to get through if they are determined.

How do you know the people who come begging will not tell the church where they got the info from? Just thinking...
The church doesn't know me. Even if I donate I'll not give them my information. I won't send anyone to a church that doesn't have a soup kitchen so I can't imagine that they will care where these people came from. The whole idea is to get these people off my property without having to shoot them and to have them believing that I don't have enough food to risk attacking me.

An intercom and camera on the front door are on the security list. I have a wrought iron gate for the drive bur it isn't installed yet.

Did you read LL's latest contribution "The Thieves"? Not all people who see your shopping carts are thieves at this time.

Anyone who follows me home has a long drive on back roads and will be obvious. Its 76 paved miles followed by 11 miles of dirt roads. The first 62 miles wouldn't be suspicious, I'd be watching them for the last 14 paved miles and be very suspicious/alert the last 11 miles.

I had the DW say something just this morning,it went like this... "If you are in your home or on your property and not on the road like everyone else it will automatically mean you have more and something to protect." Dang talk about a lightbulb moment !!!
Maybe. Like staying home instead of going out for Black Friday, sometimes the safest place to be is home. When it is stormy out, I like to stay home.
Think of all the senior citizens who are not mobile, or even disabled people. Some of them will probably just wait to die. Even people who are able to get around. Many will just stay home. Think of all the helpless people you have encountered. There are people who will just sit down and wait...for something to happen, for someone to rescue them.

If I had not been wide awake during the birth of my first born child and if he did not look exactly like my brother, I would swear that he was switched at birth. All his life, when finances allowed, we had a deep pantry. He is clueless. He is also married to a woman who is worse than him. They keep very little food and no water. There will be no storing of emergency supplies of any kind in their house. I have gifted them supplies at Christmas and birthdays and know they went into yard sales in the spring. She has annual sales to dispose of what she considers clutter. In September their 14 year old son looked in my kitchen pantry for a new jar of salsa. He remarked that this would be a good place to come to if there was a hurricane. Thank God he only knows about that one pantry and not the other three. My DIL is the type to take what I have and distribute it to all her friends. They live on the other side of the big city from me. About 45 miles away.

Anyone who follows me home has a long drive on back roads and will be obvious. Its 76 paved miles followed by 11 miles of dirt roads. The first 62 miles wouldn't be suspicious, I'd be watching them for the last 14 paved miles and be very suspicious/alert the last 11 miles.
I need a driveway like that!

I need a driveway like that!

Its not all driveway....:LOL: We are just moving pretty far out. Our driveway is about 400ft or so. The closest "big" town is about 90 miles out. There are a couple of smaller towns closer but there's no shopping outside of what the local gas/convience station has.

If I had not been wide awake during the birth of my first born child and if he did not look exactly like my brother, I would swear that he was switched at birth. All his life, when finances allowed, we had a deep pantry. He is clueless. He is also married to a woman who is worse than him. They keep very little food and no water. There will be no storing of emergency supplies of any kind in their house. I have gifted them supplies at Christmas and birthdays and know they went into yard sales in the spring. She has annual sales to dispose of what she considers clutter. In September their 14 year old son looked in my kitchen pantry for a new jar of salsa. He remarked that this would be a good place to come to if there was a hurricane. Thank God he only knows about that one pantry and not the other three. My DIL is the type to take what I have and distribute it to all her friends. They live on the other side of the big city from me. About 45 miles away.
My daughter was just talking and laughing about Y2K. Girl has no clue about my preps. Rather than trying to give her preps, I think it is better for me to have preps at my place for her.
So many people think preppers are crazy and nuts and paranoid.

I had the DW say something just this morning,it went like this... "If you are in your home or on your property and not on the road like everyone else it will automatically mean you have more and something to protect." Dang talk about a lightbulb moment !!!

I think it depends on the WHEN portion of the SHtF scenario. I think most people will stay home early on, at least after initially raiding their closest stores and/or neighbors. It is the safe zone for many, if not all. It would also depend on the time of year. Nobody in their right mind would traverse the roads with no end point in mind in the winter, as the risk of hypothermia just wouldn't be worth it. And, for anyone who has thought ahead (at all) they wouldn't hit the roads unless there was absoulutely NOTHING left where they currently are......b/c they are trading the known for the unknown (with very little belongings), and in a SHtF scenario.....if the known is that bad, most likely the unknown is even worse! Most will die at home.....myself included. If all my supplies are out, I know I am doomed anyway. Traveling the road with nowhere really to go, would be suicide. I would like to think most people already know that.

Its not all driveway....:LOL: We are just moving pretty far out. Our driveway is about 400ft or so. The closest "big" town is about 90 miles out. There are a couple of smaller towns closer but there's no shopping outside of what the local gas/convience station has.
I know, but that sounded nice. I wish my place was that far from a town. Maybe one day I'll find one that fits the bill.

I believe it was in Croatia a survivor of the collapse wrote that any outlying farms or homesteads were raided and destroyed by roving gangs. The group's of the raiders usually only numbered about twenty any groups much larger in size had to much difficulty in keeping supplied or would fracture from internal differences. He said these groups specialised in roaming around the country taking what they needed. Now granted Croatia is a much smaller country in size than the U.S. so roaming around there does not involve the distances and the same individual armed resistance that would be encountered here.

Latest posts

Back