new thoughts on the showups

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know we have had discussions on the response to people showing up after an event who "know" you have prepared. ..

If they state they are planning on coming to my house, I reply with, "I will not be home because I'm planning on coming to their house!"

If they have a skill set we desperately need and our supplies can accommodate them, perhaps.

If their religious beliefs are known, they will be allowed to leave alive.

Family members, acquaintances, strangers will not be allowed to leave.

All members of a MAG after TEOTWAWKI, for OPSEC reasons, will not be allowed to leave either.

Last edited:
Family members, acquaintances, strangers will not be allowed to leave.

All members of a MAG after TEOTWAWKI, for OPSEC reasons, will not be allowed to leave either.

This is something I have thought about. What if someone gets cabin fever when the important thing to do is to lay low? Ever see people out driving around on Christmas day? Or all the people who get in trouble with the law on holidays? I have known people who can't stay home in a big snow storm. They want to be out in the middle of it. The people who want to leave are as much a danger as the strangers who come snooping around.

When thinking of charity I like the teach a man to fish approach. Rather than giving food give seeds, give them a couple traps, tell them where you have seen game in the area, give them some know how. If they dont want the ability to do for themselves and prefer an immediate hand out they are worthless and best dealt with. Also, those that do well with what they are given are probably worthwhile and have the fortitude to make themselves useful as part of a group. If they claim to have a certain skill trade for use of that skill and if they do well and deal honestly then you know you have an asset that can be considered. One can of potato seeds can feed a whole town indefinitely (along with seeds for greens and beans) as you can grow from seed potatoes from that point on. Goal is to reduce the numbers of needy at your door. It would be good to have that to donate to your local town anonymously. Close family and the few friends I trust would always have the shirt off my back. Others get the ability to provide for themselves until they do well enough with it to prove they deserve a spot as long as they begin by asking in an appropriate manner. All others are dealt with according to the threat level they present before they are a problem not after they become one. Realities of the coming world will be harsh.

Latest posts

Back