new thread from a gold miner who has been living off grid for over 50 yrs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordkh

Friend
Neighbor
i am looking for a young couple who would like to learn off grid living, it would be for one season, 6 months.
opportunity to learn mountain living, building your own cabin, learning to cut lumber, fell trees, gold mining, grow a garden in the high country etc.
located close to the marble mountain area of northern calif,
closest neighbor is a 40 minute drive

Last edited:
Welcome from Alaska!

Welcome from Alaska.

Bienveneetoes from a NorCalian stuck in Lost Angeles (for now.. :rolleyes:

Just curious - What's the 'purpose' of this venture? What do you 'get' out of it? Or, are you just looking to 'share the wealth' (of knowledge / experience..) out of a philanthropic spirit? Not 'questioning motives', just curious, as what you're offering is not something you come across often these days... :cool:

Just curious..
jd

Just curious - What's the 'purpose' of this venture? What do you 'get' out of it? Or, are you just looking to 'share the wealth' (of knowledge / experience..) out of a philanthropic spirit? Not 'questioning motives', just curious, as what you're offering is not something you come across often these days... :cool:

Just curious..
Exactly my thoughts!

Bienveneetoes from a NorCalian stuck in Lost Angeles (for now.. :rolleyes:

Just curious..
jd
ok, fair question, i would like to share some knowledge, and could use some help every now and then, plus i just love building .. i have built two cabins for a couple of friends who just love mining and living this life.
built a lookout and a saloon last season, i have 4 huge old growth suger pines down and will have to much lumber next yr. i am getting old but still loving this life.
i am not looking for just any young couple, they must fit the requirements and would have to be dedicated to this lifestyle

I've recently had the same conversation about finding a young couple who want to farm. I have 100+ acre cattle farm I can no longer care for properly... mulling over ideas.

Instead of chasing cows I'd much rather spend time doing things like this... spent 49 days in this creek a few years ago. Mostly running tailings from the 1870's. No phone or tv, heaven! (still have my dredge).

Gold Creek a  (3)a.jpg

i didn't expect the "question the motives" response,. i feel i am so lucky and it doesn't hurt to share
I always question people's motives. Not many people want to share anything, and I understand that. I have asked the question, "What's in it for you?" "What are you selling?" "Why are you doing this?" in the past and not always gotten truthful answers. I find that everyone wants something.

i am looking for a young couple who would like to learn off grid living, it would be for one season, 6 months.
opportunity to learn mountain living, building your own cabin, learning to cut lumber, fell trees, gold mining, grow a garden in the high country etc.
located close to the marble mountain area of northern calif,
closest neighbor is a 40 minute drive
Welcome from Alaska. Sounds like an amazing opportunity for someone.

I am looking for a half dozen beautiful young healthy ladies, that would like to learn what it is like to live with a cranky old "Sourdough", in majestic wilderness Alaska.

I've recently had the same conversation about finding a young couple who want to farm. I have 100+ acre cattle farm I can no longer care for properly... mulling over ideas.

Instead of chasing cows I'd much rather spend time doing things like this... spent 49 days in this creek a few years ago. Mostly running tailings from the 1870's. No phone or tv, heaven! (still have my dredge).

View attachment 76131

Bama has gold??? I shouldn't be surprised, at one time or another every state had their own gold rush. Or is this another location?

My hubby used to have a triple sluice dredge, he'd work that while I panned out the findings. Lots of fun

i didn't expect the "question the motives" response,. i feel i am so lucky and it doesn't hurt to share
Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon. In consideration of questioning motives, in this age of weirdness, please don't get offended, from some of the miners I've met out on the desert of N.W. Nevada, I'd say it's good to question. Back in the early part of 2,000's we met a woman who was living on a claim west of Winnemucca, her husband had recently died of cancer, he had been released from prison to go home and die, anyway, he was in prison because a brother of a person he had helping him killed his brother and threw his body down a mine shaft and the police thought the woman's husband was complicit in the murder. This women showed us a 26 troy ounce gold nugget her husband had found on the claim with a metal detector. Anyway, during the different times we were out on the desert, we met good people and others that I felt far more comfortable to be around by carrying a large .44 mag on my side. My common question to our friend the crystal hunter, Peg-leg John was, " Is that guy throwing a line of BS?". On the other hand, it is a pretty good offer, another time, we would have considered something like that, now at 79, I'm doing well to take care of things on our homestead, rounding up chickens to get them in the coop in the evening to keep the fox from having dinner is exausting enough.

ok, fair question, i would like to share some knowledge, and could use some help every now and then, plus i just love building .. i have built two cabins for a couple of friends who just love mining and living this life.
built a lookout and a saloon last season...

Sounds ideal :cool: Love the idea of 'building from DIY-timbers'.. Our 'BOL plans' / dream has always been a Strawbale / Timber (roof) structure, for the 'off grid' Home.. 👍

..Buf, first, relative to the 'motives' comment, well.. Also keep in mind, that in these "survivalist forums", there have been Many cases of 'Alphabet-agency spooks' setting up seemingly-legit member profiles (but actually just 'sniffer' accounts..) and putting 'honeypots' out there, to glean info / find out where local "militias" might be, etc, so.. True Survivalists are extra Cautious, by nature (and Wisely-so.. :cool:

..But, as long as you 'don't mind the questions' :) That goes a Long way to folks 'comfort levels' with discussing more / possibly expressing interest in such an 'offer'.. :cool:

So, what's the 'Water situation' up on your Property, there? (I assume this is all based on Your Property.. yes? :) And, how far from "town" is this all?

..Lastly.. Why only "6 months"? Have you entertained the idea of forming a 'longer-term MAG' (Mutual Assistance Group), where a - Qualified / Self-Sufficient / Prepared - couple / small Family-group might be interested in a longer, 'transitional' tenure, to mutually-help 'get thru what's Coming'? 🤔 Keen to hear your thoughts. :cool:

jd

Latest posts

Back