new thread from a gold miner who has been living off grid for over 50 yrs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need water to run a sluice box. They don't work very well with ice. 😁 If he's mining above ground then shutting down over cold months is normal. The cold stays long in high country.

Sounds ideal :cool: Love the idea of 'building from DIY-timbers'.. Our 'BOL plans' / dream has always been a Strawbale / Timber (roof) structure, for the 'off grid' Home.. 👍

..Buf, first, relative to the 'motives' comment, well.. Also keep in mind, that in these "survivalist forums", there have been Many cases of 'Alphabet-agency spooks' setting up seemingly-legit member profiles (but actually just 'sniffer' accounts..) and putting 'honeypots' out there, to glean info / find out where local "militias" might be, etc, so.. True Survivalists are extra Cautious, by nature (and Wisely-so.. :cool:

..But, as long as you 'don't mind the questions' :) That goes a Long way to folks 'comfort levels' with discussing more / possibly expressing interest in such an 'offer'.. :cool:

So, what's the 'Water situation' up on your Property, there? (I assume this is all based on Your Property.. yes? :) And, how far from "town" is this all?

..Lastly.. Why only "6 months"? Have you entertained the idea of forming a 'longer-term MAG' (Mutual Assistance Group), where a - Qualified / Self-Sufficient / Prepared - couple / small Family-group might be interested in a longer, 'transitional' tenure, to mutually-help 'get thru what's Coming'? 🤔 Keen to hear your thoughts. :cool:

jd
high country, to hard to winter...not looking for survivalist attitudes.
1 1/2 hrs to a town with a store,etc
looks like i opened up a can of worms, i didn't expect this much questions/response

Most of us are harmless, until we put in our dentures... 😁

Seriously, your intro was unusual, we noticed. Most of us here have bucked the "system" all our lives. Like me, last 40-hr a week job I had was in 1980. Someone else living outside the lines always gets my attention. No harm meant.

...not looking for survivalist attitudes....i didn't expect this much questions/response

Heh? 🤔 Thanks for the answers, but.. 'attitudes'? Now I'm Really confused.. o_O You.. would simply expect some "couple" to up and sign up / come up, withOut asking for clarity on 'mission critical' things about the Site (like 'what's the Water-situ like'?) Sure, one Could 'assume' a Well / stream, etc, but.. Even those of us living near Cities, etc, know better than to ever Assume (withOut asking for clarity..) :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jd

NEXT Question.......What the hell is this thing, and does it eat people.....??? How big to they get.

1637977718667.png

high country, to hard to winter...not looking for survivalist attitudes.
1 1/2 hrs to a town with a store,etc
looks like i opened up a can of worms, i didn't expect this much questions/response

Not a can of worms more an avenue of inquiry.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Ben

I've recently had the same conversation about finding a young couple who want to farm. I have 100+ acre cattle farm I can no longer care for properly... mulling over ideas.

Instead of chasing cows I'd much rather spend time doing things like this... spent 49 days in this creek a few years ago. Mostly running tailings from the 1870's. No phone or tv, heaven! (still have my dredge).

View attachment 76131

If you didn't have so many allergens over there and if I didn't have my own place to care for I'd be tempted.

Howdy.
Thirty years ago and I'd be on my way!
Not so much now. good luck man! its good to see others teach!

I've recently had the same conversation about finding a young couple who want to farm. I have 100+ acre cattle farm I can no longer care for properly... mulling over ideas.

Instead of chasing cows I'd much rather spend time doing things like this... spent 49 days in this creek a few years ago. Mostly running tailings from the 1870's. No phone or tv, heaven! (still have my dredge).

View attachment 76131
Is that a gold panning outfit to the left?

Latest posts

Back