Quantcast

New to me double.

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I was at a gun shop last Saturday trying to pick up a few supplies when in walks a person with a side by side 12ga . He was wanting to trade it in for a pistol he had a hankerin for. I ask him the basic questions on age and condition and why he was trading.
He said he did not like the recoil and longer range accuracy when he fired slugs!?!
I thought (silently to my self) Well DUH..it's an 12 ga 18" side by side coach gun with no recoil pad!
I ask if I could look at the coach and it had almost no wear and in near new condition . Well to make this short story longer it followed me home. With a good cleaning because it still had the original shipping grease in it I believe that it will find a new home here.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Nice. What's the make/model?

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
It's one of can Russian Bikal 43s. Not a top quality but it is in New condition and I hope I don't have to intentionally shoot it much. I got it for a very good cash price.

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Does that one have exposed hammers or no? I've considered getting a coach gun to keep in smaller spaces. But seems like a lot of them are for the cowboy shooters, with exposed hammers.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Does it look like this? Baikal makes a good gun.

acfd81a81edbf34b4dc766be7e21e0c3.jpg

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Mind looks just like it Sept it does not have exposed hammers.
Spike if I had had a choice I would have got one with hammers. The hammerless model cocks on the opening that feature makes it a little more difficult to get it unloaded then loaded plus you have to fool with a saftey.

ssonb

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Took the double boomer to the range...The reason the original owner had for wanting to get shed of the double was because of his disappointment in the accuracy with slugs...Its a SHOT gun not a slug gun, but that aside, With #4 buckshot at 15 yards on a B2 target the shot spread out to a 10'' dia. circle centered on the target with either BBl. Double 00 shot about 6'' higher with a 5 to 6'' spread on center also. I had a friend repeat the shots in the same order and he got the same results...... Now a slug , Don't wanna do that agin the recoil was bad and the trigger guard scraped a lot of skin off the middle finger, Well DUH its a light weight coach gun shot gun. Since its preferred diet is #4 buck I will stock it mostly with them and have a few 00 when I wish to make a bigger impression.

Sparky_D

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Always wanted one. May have to seek one out.

I would want to put a cuff on the stock that will hold a few extra rounds.
I'd want it closed at the back to hide a "Sissy Pad"...

Shotgun Cuff 1.jpg

Shotgun Cuff 2.jpg