New tractor

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cascadian

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We got a tractor. It is a Vietnamese Yanmar refurb. I understand the downside of grey market tractors and Vn refurbs, but this is what our budget would allow paying cash. The place I got it from has sold about 100 mostly trouble free. Not many bad reviews and none on thier tractors. I hope it will be trouble free if not I guess I will learn to fix it.
KIMG0966.JPG

We got a tractor. It is a Vietnamese Yanmar refurb. I understand the downside of grey market tractors and Vn refurbs, but this is what our budget would allow paying cash. The place I got it from has sold about 100 mostly trouble free. Not many bad reviews and none on thier tractors. I hope it will be trouble free if not I guess I will learn to fix it.View attachment 49756
The grey-market tractors are greatly simplified because they are wonderfully missing all of the silly "government-mandated" BS parts. Like the ones we had in the 70's. They will run until the cows come home. Unbelievable reliability due to their simplicity.
I remember seeing container loads of used Japanese Yanmars in mint condition being unloaded in Cullman AL.
Sure, none of them were big, but all had less than 500 hours on them. :woo hoo:
They are a status symbol over there, so people over there get a new one to show off every few years whether they need one or not.
For a container load of these gems, it was just a little above the 8¢ per pound that scrap iron was bringing at the time.
The company made a killing. Their warranty was like:
"If you have a problem, just bring it back and we'll give you another one".
They had hundreds on the lot on any given day.

Last edited:
TractorCo.com - Thorp and North Bend, WA - Offering New & Used Tractors, Implements, and Equipment Repair?

I have a Yanmar 1510D. So far it has worked very well for all of my needs.
The only issue I have had with it is changing the oil. The front end loader arm is blocking the oil drain plug and I had to suction out the old oil through the dipstick tube and that was a pain.
Mine came from Japan and was refurbed in Japan.
Service manuals and parts are available from this web site.
Yanmar Tractor Parts
They're in Texas and they seem to have everything you could need.
Their service department has been very helpful every time I called for something.
I bought an overrun clutch from them and had a problem. See my PTO problem thread. Once I was able to get them a video of the problem they sent me a new clutch and told me to just throw the defective one away.
If you have a question just PM me.
The Japanese government makes them replace old internal combustion engines after a set number of miles or hours so they sell them out of the country.

A couple of other sites you might find handy.
TractorData.com - Farm tractors
Fredricks Outdoor - New & Used Powersports and Agricultural Equipments Sales, Service, and Parts with locations in Decatur and Hartselle, AL

Last edited:
I got a 2610D. Thanks for the info. I checked Hoyes, they have good parts availability for the 2610. I have been studying up and watching what was available for over a year. I decided I was better of with one of these. $12k wouldn't get much more than a beat down Kubota or JD around here.

We got a tractor. It is a Vietnamese Yanmar refurb. I understand the downside of grey market tractors and Vn refurbs, but this is what our budget would allow paying cash. The place I got it from has sold about 100 mostly trouble free. Not many bad reviews and none on thier tractors. I hope it will be trouble free if not I guess I will learn to fix it.View attachment 49756

congrats on the new tractor.

I almost bought one a few years back, but was not sure I could get new parts. I now know that was a mistake, that parts are not a problems.
It would be paid for now & I have all kinds of attachments for a 20 horse tractor.

Well I have a problem with my temp idiot light. It comes on really faint and gets a little brighter as it warms up. If I short the sensor wire to ground it comes on brightly as expected. My best guess is the sensor is for a temp gauge, not a on or off light.

Also I put a hole I the front of my seat with the eyelet on my boot! 😡

nothing wrong with Yanmar, the US Navy uses those engines in their small boats and has for decades. Pretty solid engines, I would not hesitate on one even though my tractors are all Massey Ferguson. Just my personal preference due to family history with them.

nothing wrong with Yanmar, the US Navy uses those engines in their small boats and has for decades. Pretty solid engines, I would not hesitate on one even though my tractors are all Massey Ferguson. Just my personal preference due to family history with them.
I went on this thing not once, but again years later.
Trust me, 650 horsepower is nothing to sneeze at, especially from diesel engines.
I hung out after we got back and told the guy that I just HAD to see what was under that hood.
Just 2 Yanmar inline 6-cylinder engines.
emo12.gif

I had worked on 4 & 6 cylinder Yanmar engines in the equipment we sold. That gave me a new respect for them.
screamin-eagle-jet-boat-adventure-STI1-mosaic.jpg

*Disclaimer: The most fun on that thing, is hearing the young people scream like they are dying. Ok, I'm a little twisted that way.

Nice! I hear the little 2 and 3 cylinders are easy to work on. Made for the average Joe to be able to save his own bacon at sea.

Nice! I hear the little 2 and 3 cylinders are easy to work on. Made for the average Joe to be able to save his own bacon at sea.
Oh, yes! They were designed to survive in 3rd-world countries and to be repaired with simple tools.
You won't need a diagnostic error-code reader, trust me :thumbs: .

Latest posts

Back