1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.
    Dismiss Notice

New Umarex AirSaber "arrow rifle"

Discussion in 'Rifle Forum' started by Sentry18, Jan 15, 2020 at 9:10 AM.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 15, 2020 at 9:10 AM #1

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

This is an interesting concept. 30 shots per tank of air and can be charged in the field with a hand pump or CO2 cartridges.

https://www.umarexusa.com/umarex-airsaber

The NEW Umarex® AirSaber™ is an all-new category for big game hunting with no strings attached. Driven by air and equipped with full length arrows, it is the most technologically intense arrow rifle introduced for 2020.

Specifications
    • Bolt Action pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) arrow rifle
    • Powered by 3625 psi of compressed air
    • Includes foster quick disconnect air filling probe
    • Removable Picatinny rails for attaching aftermarket quivers or bi-pod
    • Integrated Picatinny rail for scope mounting
    • Optional Axeon® 4x32 scope with custom air archery ballistic reticle
    • Integrated pressure gauge
    • All-weather stock
    • Rubber recoil pad
    • Includes 3 Umarex® AirSaber™ Arrows
    • Arrow Shaft Weight: 276 gr
    • Included field tip weight: 100 gr
    • Overall length: 41"
    • Weight without scope: 6.85 lbs
    • Velocity: 450 fps
    • Kinetic Energy: 169 fpe

PY-5135_Umarex-AirSaber-Combow_1578328543.jpg

Bacpacker, VenomJockey and Caribou like this.
  2. Jan 15, 2020 at 10:17 AM #2

Haertig

Haertig

Haertig

Awesome Friend Neighbor

It's a neat looking thing. But not being a hunter myself, I have to ask, "why?"

It would be a fun range toy no doubt, but I can't see it as a workable hunting weapon. What does it offer that is not done better by either a firearm, or a standard bow? And getting this thing recharged up to the 3625 psi they mention is going to be quite an expensive endeavor. The bicycle pump out in your garage isn't going to do that, you'll need to spend $175+ on a high pressure pump, then be willing to pump for a quite a long while to get your shot off. CO2 cartridges aren't going to pressurize the thing above the pressure inside the CO2 cartridge itself - which is 800 to 900 psi IIRC. Far less when it's cold outside. You'll probably want a high pressure air compressor, or minimally scuba tanks and a local dive shop to fill them for you. The amount of air needing to be released to launch something as large as an arrow will be substantial. I would not expect this thing to be at all quiet, probably about as loud as the air tools you hear in a car mechanic shop (and those are low pressure tools).

But it is a cool looking thing! I would want to shoot one, just for the fun of it. Ultimately, it's similar to a crossbow, but maybe a little more powerful and more expensive (after you buy the required pumps/compressors/tanks, special reinforced arrows, etc.) They advertise accuracy of "2 inches at 70 yards". Now for a bow, that might be good (I wouldn't know). But for a rifle, that's pitiful.

3. Jan 15, 2020 at 11:13 AM #3

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

zoomzoom

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Their website lists a hand pump that has high pressure but it doesn't look too user friendly to me as it states "Just 150 strokes of the pump will fill a 13ci (200 cc) tank". That's a lot of work for 200cc's of air.
    https://www.umarexusa.com/ux-pcp-ha...ings_Attached&utm_content=Umarex_PCP_HandPump

It doesn't explicitly state sources but IMHO, it should accept paintball tanks, at least for refilling. As I recall, they're 4000 PSI and a decent sized tank should provide several refills for this unit. 1 tank can shoot over 2000 paint balls and is 4 times the size of their 200 cc tank.

Bacpacker and Sentry18 like this.
  4. Jan 15, 2020 at 2:46 PM #4

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

You can use any long gun to shoot arrows. I have personally used a 20 gauge shotgun and a 3006 to fire arrows, The 3006 fired the arrows at 850 fps without destroying them when in the barrel. They didn't always survive target impact. The 20 gauge only launched the arrow at 700 fps but they survived the impact into the soft targets. (straw bales)

It was a fun exercise but not practical in the real world. I wonder how practical the air gun would be.

Bacpacker, Sentry18 and Supervisor42 like this.
  5. Jan 15, 2020 at 3:24 PM #5

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Supervisor42

Formerly known as Supervisor42 Neighbor

Accuracy, and the ability to walk right past the "No Firearms Allowed" signs:eek:.

Bacpacker and Sentry18 like this.
  6. Jan 15, 2020 at 3:39 PM #6

Haertig

Haertig

Haertig

Awesome Friend Neighbor

You are much braver than I! I would call an arrow in the barrel "an obstruction", and be too afraid to pull the trigger.

Sentry18 likes this.
  7. Jan 15, 2020 at 3:43 PM #7

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

I responded to a call once where a man tried this and killed his brother in the process.

8. Jan 15, 2020 at 3:59 PM #8

Haertig

Haertig

Haertig

Awesome Friend Neighbor

Yeah, an arrow in the barrel might provide what marketing would call "a total sphere of defensive protection!" But I don't think I would want that...

9. Jan 16, 2020 at 9:45 PM #9

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

You hand load a cartridge using the weight of the arrow as the bullet weight. A paper wad holds the powder in place and the arrow is loaded from the muzzle. The firearm is then tied to a tree, cocked and fired remotely with a string on the trigger. The gun was carefully aimed at a set of straw bails to catch the arrow.
    After finding a safe load to shoot we put a chronograph in front of it. Very fast arrows have several drawbacks: they penetrate very well, they sometimes blow apart on contact or before, and they sometimes don't fly straight.
    When you get one that works they are quieter than the rifle or shotgun in normal use and very accurate past 100 yards. They are still louder than a bow or crossbow but they shoot a lot farther.

Draft saved Draft deleted