Newbie from Wyoming

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200years2late

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Hello Everyone,

I'm already happy that I stumbled upon this site. You seem like a fine bunch of folks.
I've been living in the mountains of Wyoming without indoor plumbing for the last 30 years. The last 13 years have been off-grid in a log cabin that I built myself. I'm at a little over 8,000 feet in elevation so I get plenty of winter. I use a snowmachine to get back and forth to my vehicles which I park at the nearest county-plowed road, 1 1/2 miles away, for 5 months of the year. At least 3 or 4 times a year my commute to or from work would be the adventure of a lifetime for a lot of people. It's been keeping me young.
I retired, hopefully for good, last April. So now I have time for this sort of computer stuff if the solar gods allow. I have no generator backup to my two 110-watt panels and my four Trojan T-105's. My cook stove and my fridge are propane of course and I have one Aladdin lamp and an assortment of other oil lamps plus the headlamp that I'm thinking about just screwing to my head.
I was a seasonal worker in the tourism/guiding industry for over 35 years. Boom and bust twice a year. So living cheap has become second nature to me and I'm proud of it.
I used to haul my water from the fire station in town, 30 miles away, when I was working but now I've been experimenting with other types of water harvesting so I'll probably have some questions about that.
Anyway, I've been dropping in occasionally and figured it was time to join up. I'm not really a prepper and my political votes are always on behalf of the wild critters, but I have friends in every walk of life and from every political bent. I'm looking forward to checking in here and there and seeing what's going on with you all.
Happy New Year!

We rarely get people admitting they are high... ;) I thought our cabin was more than high enough at 5000 feet but yours is on a completely different scale.
Welcome from the SE corner of Washington state.

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon. Wife, son and I lived at 8,000+ feet, west of Denver, it was a life of ease compared to your situation, it took a year to get used to the altitude, it helped a lot that I did a lot of hiking at over 12,000 feet, even slept on the ground at 13,000 feet during elk hunting, glad I've only done that one time, woke up to having the sleeping bag covered with frost as well as the rifle, everyone ought to try that once. My half sister and her husband live in Upton, Wyoming, nice but also cold. Our elevation here is just over 1,400 and we seldom get snow and that's fine with us, if we want to be in snow, we can drive to it, otherwise we've had enough of it.

Last edited:
Welcome from Alaska. Collected rain water most of my life. Four residences on the property and we collect rain water for all of them. Currently using a good 18,000 gallons of storage but could increase it 50% with cisterns already on site. Be glad to answer any questions.

Welcome from Alaska! From your intro, you’d fit in well with us nuts up north!

I love your user name! That is one of my favorite lines from a great song!

Pull up a chair stump by the fire, we'd love to hear what you have to say. I think you will like it here; we're good people and our home has many rooms to play in! There's even hell in the hallway to keep things more interesting on occasion, lol.

Welcome to here, 200years2late! As you can see in the banner below, I am 200 years too late also. I think more than a few of us here have this in common!

This banner on my Twitter page illustrates my belated birth, lol. Our kind just don't fit real well into this day and age...and we like it that way just fine!

GrizzlyetteAdams.png

Last edited:
Welcome from Eastern Missouri. I have always admitted I was born 100 years to late, but you have me beat. Good to have you with us.

Greetings from your next-door neighbor to the west; the state everyone's heard of but no one can find on the map. I'm sure you'll like it here; the folks are great!

Latest posts

Back