Newbie from Wyoming

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pull up a chair stump by the fire, we'd love to hear what you have to say. I think you will like it here; we're good people and our home has many rooms to play in! There's even hell in the hallway to keep things more interesting on occasion, lol.

Welcome to here, 200years2late! As you can see in the banner below, I am 200 years too late also. I think more than a few of us here have this in common!

This banner on my Twitter page illustrates my belated birth, lol. Our kind just don't fit real well into this day and age...and we like it that way just fine!

View attachment 56388
Thank you very much. Hell in the hallway does sound interesting!

Welcome from Alaska. Collected rain water most of my life. Four residences on the property and we collect rain water for all of them. Currently using a good 18,000 gallons of storage but could increase it 50% with cisterns already on site. Be glad to answer any questions.
Thank you. I will definitely have some questions.

Hello and welcome from S.W. Oregon. Wife, son and I lived at 8,000+ feet, west of Denver, it was a life of ease compared to your situation, it took a year to get used to the altitude, it helped a lot that I did a lot of hiking at over 12,000 feet, even slept on the ground at 13,000 feet during elk hunting, glad I've only done that one time, woke up to having the sleeping bag covered with frost as well as the rifle, everyone ought to try that once. My half sister and her husband live in Upton, Wyoming, nice but also cold. Our elevation here is just over 1,400 and we seldom get snow and that's fine with us, if we want to be in snow, we can drive to it, otherwise we've had enough of it.
Thanks for the welcome!
Yeah, I was a young man when I made this plan but so far so good.:cool:

Welcome from Alaska. Collected rain water most of my life. Four residences on the property and we collect rain water for all of them. Currently using a good 18,000 gallons of storage but could increase it 50% with cisterns already on site. Be glad to answer any questions.
Hello. I guess my first question would be : do you drink any of the water that you collect? If so, do you treat it first and how?
I've been collecting rain water off of my metal roofs during the summer and use it for mostly outdoor stuff. There's a mountain spring a few miles away that I can drive my truck to from early June through November. I drink that water and use it for all other purposes. This winter I've been melting snow. I've been using it for everything but drinking. It looks like hell sometimes. I don't have much air pollution here but I would think that you have less. I'm just wondering what all I have to consider before I drink snow water. I worked horse pack-trips and hunting camps for quite a few years when I was younger and drank pretty much whatever I came across. I'm thinking that snow melt must be even cleaner because you don't have to worry about giardia. What do you think? I don't get on the computer every day so if I appear to be MIA I'll be back whenever I have electricity to spare. Thanks.

Back