Newborn’s

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
There is something about a new born calf. He was about an hour old when I found him during the cold spell last week. I thought she would deliver during the night but she waited until after breakfast. This is momma’s first calf and had no idea how to react so I’ve been keeping an eye on him. I checked on him yesterday and today because of this week’s cold spell, still doing fine. Momma has figured it out and takes good care of him now.

Calf 01 (4)_v1.jpg

Last edited:
@Homesteader33

I see lots of acorns in your photos. A very dangerous situation. There are many fancy words describing a cow or a sheep being poisoned by acorns. The real scoop… the tannin's in acorns erode the lining of the first stomach in ruminant animals. Then the tannin's move on to the second stomach.

Basically, the animal starves to death because they can no longer absorb nutrients from the food they eat. Peculiar, acorns are almost additive to cattle. Once one starts eating them they don’t stop… they die. Something to watch out for… I've had more than few cows in this situation. Nothing to do but put them in a corral for the rest of the winter. And yes... keep an eye on them the next fall. ;)

A couple of acorns here or there isn’t a problem… watch for cows that spend their entire day under an oak in the fall. :)

Last edited:
So cute!
I got a dairy calf from cattle auction because he was being kicked and pushed all over the stockyard. So me and grandkids put him in our back seat floor and took him home.
I ended up strangling him to death trying to feed him from a tube. He never got his mamas milk but somehow grew fast. My vet said to stop throwing money at him after $300. But he tried so hard to live. Till he couldn't hold hid head up anymore. I learned fro mthat poor little thing.
His name was Lucky.

There is something about a new born calf. He was about an hour old when I found him during the cold spell last week. I thought she would deliver during the night but she waited until after breakfast. This is momma’s first calf and had no idea how to react so I’ve been keeping an eye on him. I checked on him yesterday and today because of this week’s cold spell, still doing fine. Momma has figured it out and takes good care of him now.

View attachment 2900

Peanut, hows that calf coming along?

Today I came home from town to find half the herd out of the pastures... It only took me about 20 minutes to get them into a pasture or pen. It took another hour or so to get them into the correct pastures. Geez! I only had a cow out of the pasture 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years.

Now than my grtnephew is running the show he's had cows out 3 times in 3 straight months! HEY! the idea is to keep them IN the pasture! o_O

I even had to break out the scooter to get the donkey back in. I finally got him and the horse into the same pasture (they are buddies since birth). I thought it'd be easy after that... But Noooo! I had to fire up the minibike and chase them around 16 acres, 11 in pasture and 5 in thick timber!

I was out there for 2 hours chasing critters altogether! Heck, that minibike needed to be run anyway.

I went back for my camera, might as well take some pics of calves.

calves 55 (2)_v1.jpg

Looks like some Brahma got in this little guys blood line.

calves 55 (3)_v1.jpg
calves 55 (4)_v1.jpg

Last edited:
I caught buzzards trying to kill this newborn calf this afternoon. It has happened before but it is rare. Momma was all upset. I didn't dare get any closer to her but did get her moving back towards the herd. She'll be calm as soon as she blends in.

New baby (1) sm.JPG
New baby (2) sm.JPG

My dad used to get day-old bull calves from a local dairy, free. The farmer had dug a pit and the bull calves he couldn't get rid of he threw into the pit to die. I guess it wasn't uncommon. At the time they couldn't give away day-old calves. I saw 5 go threw a cattle auction and they couldn't get a bid for any of them. A guy finally said he would give them $5 for all of them, sold. They were all Holsteins.
Now, any calf is money on the ground.

My dad used to get day-old bull calves from a local dairy, free. The farmer had dug a pit and the bull calves he couldn't get rid of he threw into the pit to die. I guess it wasn't uncommon. At the time they couldn't give away day-old calves. I saw 5 go threw a cattle auction and they couldn't get a bid for any of them. A guy finally said he would give them $5 for all of them, sold. They were all Holsteins.
Now, any calf is money on the ground.

A few years back dairy bull calves went from $5 to $250 for day old calves. That is nuts!!

I caught buzzards trying to kill this newborn calf this afternoon. It has happened before but it is rare. Momma was all upset. I didn't dare get any closer to her but did get her moving back towards the herd. She'll be calm as soon as she blends in.

View attachment 36566View attachment 36567

I've had issues with ravens going after new born goat kids. Birds can be vicious.

Last edited:
IMG_2808.JPG

This is our new little one, born 6 days ago. Healthy and doing what is supposed to be doing, sucking momma to start the meat making process!

Sorting old photos, came across this. Must have been the fall of 16, spring of 17. We had switched from Charolais bulls to a Hereford. He was a great bull, over 15months we had 7 sets of twins born. No twins born here before or after, not in my lifetime.

Calves random a  (61)a.jpg

Last edited:
Good lookin' stock! Had a friend when I was a teen, her parents had some Hereford and when the cattle were out in the field they (the cattle) didn't want us around. If they were in the barn (cold weather) the cattle didn't care.

Sorting old photos, came across this. Must have been the fall of 16, spring of 17. We had switched from Charolais bulls to a Hereford. He was a great bull, over 15months we has 7 sets of twins born. No twins born here before or after, not in my lifetime.

View attachment 117023
I had an uncle that raised Hertford. They were great cows, good temperament, good mother, gained weight quick, rarely got out of their fields.

Latest posts

Back