NEWS Rediscovered Native American remedy kills poxvirus

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sarracenia-purpurea_Istock_250

Historical sources suggest that in the 1800s, when smallpox still posed a serious threat, the Micmac native Americans of Nova Scotia treated the disease using a botanical infusion derived from the insectivorous plant Sarracenia purpurea, a species of pitcher plant.

I was just reading that and I just discovered that all parts of the plant is used in a alcohol based tincture.
Also the whole plant can be scrubbed and mashed and applied topically as a poultice.
I also found the only on-line nursery in Australia that sells Sarracenia purpurea.
$40 per rhizome!
OUCH.

I've been scouring Google, DuckDuckGo, Brave and Bing for more information so I can piece together ways to not only find out which parts of the plant to use but how to process them and apply them.
I LOVE a good puzzle.

Here is part ...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...ox,successful therapy for smallpox infections.

This paper is extremely interesting because they not only test it on a whole range of Pox variants but also cervical cancer cell lines as well.
They go into how they extracted the compounds out of the plant material.
Also into the historical usage and preparation.

This one is worth printing off into multiple hard copies and put safely into several folders.

Last edited:
Back