NO, I am NOT eating "bug burgers!!"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Something similar is already in my back up prep plans (as in Plan "F" for when things are FUBAR). But first, the ick factor must be removed! My "land shrimp" and other bugs can be well roasted, powdered, and stirred into just about anything to boost nutritional content. Even if all I have is bugs and water, I will stay hydrated and won't starve.

Caution: Because some insects such as grasshoppers, carry parasites, they must be cooked thoroughly just as you would pork for the same reason.

While I am still at Plan A, B, or even C, I hope to recycle bugs as fishbait or chicken feed!

Last edited:
I have eaten bugs and worms. Between the two, worms are better tasting most of the time.
Worms are easy to make into "hamburger" and with a bit of salt and the rest of the fixings you could have a hard time differentiating them from a real burger.

First, the science clearly debunks this cow fart climate change fallacy. Second, a hamburger is ground cow and nothing but ground cow. Unless of course you add bacon, cheese, tomato, etc.

smokehouse-burger.jpg

I always thought that Hamburgers were an American food. Then I found out why they are called Hambugers. They were started in the 1100's in Hamburg Germany!
Like all the food we eat it has been modified to make a meal out of something that wasn't.
I can't think of a single truly American food idea, can you?

German chocolate cake is a winner! it is a truly American food.

General Tso's chicken is just an "Americanized" Hunun "commoner" dish. It was originally made without the sugar which was added to the ancient food for Americans.

Smores were originally made in mid 19th century Russia.

It is widely thought that fortune cookies are an American original but Fortune Cookies Were Invented in Japan. After World War II, it is well documented that fortune cookies were almost exclusively being served in Chinese restaurants in California.

While Corn Dogs were first used in the US in the 1940's the act of deep frying sausages with batter was used in Egypt when the Pharaohs ruled if not before. The Hot dog is a sausage made of pork, beef, chicken, turkey or some combination of those meats - not typically American in origin. Corn is, or was, a wholly American grain so dipping the sausage in corn batter is new but the overall food has just been Americanized.

Milk shake? The term ‘milkshake’ was first mentioned in a British newspaper in the year 1885. The drink was described as a “sturdy, healthful eggnog type of drink, with eggs, whiskey, etc., served as a tonic as well as a treat”. When ice cream or ice milk was used it was called a "thick shake".

English muffins, or breakfast muffins as they are known in their origin the United Kingdom, are a small, round, flat yeast-leavened bread which is commonly sliced horizontally, toasted, and buttered.
The term "English Muffin" is the only American part of the food.

Another "American" food has to be Cornbread. Mankind has been making bread since they started grinding grain but corn is a truly American grain so it is an Americanized food and not truly American.

So we have one truly American food so far thanks to Sentry.
I can add one more American food: Tortillas! While flat breads are not native to the Americas the tortilla is less complex and has its origins in America. There are a host of other Mexican foods that are truly American although not attributable to the United States.
We could also add pemmican to American foods and there are probably more American Indian foods as well.

Brownies
Lobster roll
Chocolate chip cookies
Pecan pie
Rubens
Buffalo wings
Tater tots
Meatloaf
Candy corn
Ranch dressing
Donut holes
Mac and cheese
Doritos
Russian dressing
Chimichangas
Cuban sandwich
Swiss steak
French dip sandwich

If you want to find out if a food originates in the Americas do a search "what is the origin of (food)?"
It might surprise you!

Inkeeper,
The KETO diet worked well for me. I lost over 20 years of fat in just a few months.
I was hoping that my back injury would heal better without the weight but it didn't seem to help much. Still I feel a lot better than I did.

@Sentry18 @Cnsper you guys are killing me. I’m in the first few days of a keto diet
You can have the burger. Just throw the bun away. I have done that many times, but I also order a burger without the bun. Trust me, I have never missed the bun, except in a good way. I have had people act like I was crazy to eat a burger without a bun. Sometimes I eat it on my plate with a fork, and sometimes wrapped in lettuce leaves.

You can have the burger. Just throw the bun away. I have done that many times, but I also order a burger without the bun. Trust me, I have never missed the bun, except in a good way. I have had people act like I was crazy to eat a burger without a bun. Sometimes I eat it on my plate with a fork, and sometimes wrapped in lettuce leaves.

Works for me...have done that many times!!

I always thought that Hamburgers were an American food. Then I found out why they are called Hambugers. They were started in the 1100's in Hamburg Germany!
Like all the food we eat it has been modified to make a meal out of something that wasn't.
I can't think of a single truly American food idea, can you?

Its all according to what you consider 'American' I guess.
Apple pie, corn ,corn bread, bar B Que, cole slaw, peacheses, pecans, collard greens, black eyed peas, mashed poratoes, vinson, turkey, sweet potato ,pumpkin pies and candied yams.
and of course Poke Salet.

Back