No MoreWindows 7 After Jan.14th 2020, What Options

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I've looked around and studied Windows 10 and that will be a huge ripoff ,imo. Also complicated to use.

So what options do we those who are losing Windows 7 have? I know I can keep the service but will not have any protection or updates. I do not want to learn another program either.
Also Mac only has 10% of the market for whatever reason and it is expensive to buy laptop for Mac.

I've looked around and studied Windows 10 and that will be a huge ripoff ,imo. Also complicated to use.

So what options do we those who are losing Windows 7 have? I know I can keep the service but will not have any protection or updates. I do not want to learn another program either.
Also Mac only has 10% of the market for whatever reason and it is expensive to buy laptop for Mac.
You aren't losing Windoz 7.
It's just a scare tactic to get you to send money to Microsoft to buy something to replace something you already have that works. (like Microsoft needs more money:rolleyes:)
I'm still running Vista and it works just fine:eek:. How long ago do you think "support" for it was discontinued?
Also Windoz (any) provides ZERO protection. You must use good AV software or perish eventually.
Only thing I've had to do with Vista is use a different browser because MS makes sure that I.E. gets 'old' so you will spend more money.
You don't have to feed the pig.

Your best option, and something you should do anyway, is switch operating systems entirely. I recommend Linux, either Ubuntu or Mint. Once properly installed, you will find Linux works MUCH better than Windows, is easier to use, and is much faster than Windows ever thought about being. I have Ubuntu on all my desktops and laptops, except for my Chromebook. No complaints about any of them. Linux is a bit tricky to install, but once properly installed, you'll love it!!

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0

...So what options do we those who are losing Windows 7 have? ...

Home computer was running Vista! I saw no need to update OS and replacing the computer...until:

1. Wife is self-employed so I used Turbotax to do her business, our taxes and my mother's. Turbotax is no longer compatible with Vista.
2. For 25 years of service my former employer offered several bonus options. I choose an Apple Store gift card. Bought a Mac to replace the Vista PC. Learning curve was a bit aggravating at times but now I'm glad I "bit the bullet" and made the change. No incompatible drivers by third parties. No blue screens of death.

Just because a OS is no longer supported does NOT mean your computer is obsolete! If it runs the programs you want then what OS it is operating on isn't a concern (IMHO).

Just for the record, you can download and install a free program called Classic Shell that makes Windows 10 look and act similar to Windows 7. It makes a very easy transition from one OS to the other. I upgraded to Win10 years ago and added that extension. Have been running smooth and issue free ever since.

The primary concern with an outdated OS is not performance or functionality, it's the lack of security updates. But a good security software suite and safe computing habits can mitigate some of those concerns.

Like you Meerkat, I also get frustrated with "upgrades". It ticks me off to no end! I had XP and was so mad when it was no longer "supported". Then, I got a chromebook and that's what I mainly use now. I have a different computer to print things on but I only use that computer maybe once a month or so and it has Windows 10 on it that my kid set up for me. I think computer companies take advantage of those of us who might be less than technically savy to upsell their products.:mad: Intuit is even more guilty of this than Microsoft!

The cell phone companies are not exempt from using these tactics either! It seems none of these companies want you to use their products for as long as you possibly can. Oh no! Now, from what I understand, most cell phones do not have an external battery, so when the battery craps out, you need to get a new phone.:rolleyes:

Maybe I should have posted this in the rant section.:p

I have 10 on my laptop and I hate it, partially because I don't use it very much I suppose.

With that said, you aren't losing 7, you're just losing Microsoft support. Here is what I would do, make sure you have all of the latest updates downloaded and installed before the cut off date. If you haven't, install a good anti virus, I like AVAST free edition, it works very well. If you like it you can subscribe to an upgraded version for very little annually. I really like the basic version, I can just open the dashboard and do everything computer related there, scanning for viruses, speed up your PC's performance etc.

As long as you protect yourself 7 should work just fine for quite a while. One more thing that I do, I go into my modem (if you have one) and change the username and password, (make sure to write it down, lol).

Next, use a browser that isn't Microsoft specific. Most viruses are written to affect Microsoft.

I'm still running Windows XP with no issues.

You aren't losing Windoz 7.
It's just a scare tactic to get you to send money to Microsoft to buy something to replace something you already have that works. (like Microsoft needs more money:rolleyes:)
I'm still running Vista and it works just fine:eek:. How long ago do you think "support" for it was discontinued?
Also Windoz (any) provides ZERO protection. You must use good AV software or perish eventually.
Only thing I've had to do with Vista is use a different browser because MS makes sure that I.E. gets 'old' so you will spend more money.
You don't have to feed the pig.

Thanks SuperV, Not sure about browser but I think it is Opera if thats a browser.But its good to know I don'y have to feed the 'pigs' :great: :lil guy:

I got the pop up for that too. They also "don't recommend" installing windows 10 on your old computer. It might not work right so a new computer should be bought.... Right! They just want you to buy a new one.

:comp bullet :eyeballs: well I never say never but they can forget it, this laptop ' Dell' is only a few years old after I hired web help to help me and they destroyed my almost new HP.
My kids aand grandkids could help but I don't want them cruisng around inside my puter [ I may have said something to offend them]:dunno:.

Your best option, and something you should do anyway, is switch operating systems entirely. I recommend Linux, either Ubuntu or Mint. Once properly installed, you will find Linux works MUCH better than Windows, is easier to use, and is much faster than Windows ever thought about being. I have Ubuntu on all my desktops and laptops, except for my Chromebook. No complaints about any of them. Linux is a bit tricky to install, but once properly installed, you'll love it!!

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0

VenomJ, I'll check that out for sure. Thank you.

Just for clarity: OS vulnerabilities generally cannot be protected by anti-virus or anti-malware programs. Hackers will use a specific vulnerability to gain access to your data, which is not the types of behavior that would be picked up by most security suites. Vulnerabilities that are found and repaired in the updates you receive when your OS is supported. Also if you do choose to use an OS that is no longer supported (something that is done all over the world) I would not use that particular computer to do my online banking, file tax returns, or otherwise store or transmit data you want secure. For general computer use, internet surfing, office activities, etc. it would not be that big of deal.

Home computer was running Vista! I saw no need to update OS and replacing the computer...until:

1. Wife is self-employed so I used Turbotax to do her business, our taxes and my mother's. Turbotax is no longer compatible with Vista.
2. For 25 years of service my former employer offered several bonus options. I choose an Apple Store gift card. Bought a Mac to replace the Vista PC. Learning curve was a bit aggravating at times but now I'm glad I "bit the bullet" and made the change. No incompatible drivers by third parties. No blue screens of death.

Just because a OS is no longer supported does NOT mean your computer is obsolete! If it runs the programs you want then what OS it is operating on isn't a concern (IMHO).

Lazy for years Hubby and I didn't use online or have a laptop. Then son in 1998 [ Iraq 2003 'I told him it was tie for another war, but he said he was't asking for permission just blessing. I was irate!!] went into military and said I could email him so hubby nor I had ever used a laptop or been online till then. We don' play games just use youtube and a few forums. Thanks for help LazyL.

Just for the record, you can download and install a free program called Classic Shell that makes Windows 10 look and act similar to Windows 7. It makes a very easy transition from one OS to the other. I upgraded to Win10 years ago and added that extension. Have been running smooth and issue free ever since.

The primary concern with an outdated OS is not performance or functionality, it's the lack of security updates. But a good security software suite and safe computing habits can mitigate some of those concerns.
Thanks Sentry, Will read over and study all this info from yall and see what to do.

Like you Meerkat, I also get frustrated with "upgrades". It ticks me off to no end! I had XP and was so mad when it was no longer "supported". Then, I got a chromebook and that's what I mainly use now. I have a different computer to print things on but I only use that computer maybe once a month or so and it has Windows 10 on it that my kid set up for me. I think computer companies take advantage of those of us who might be less than technically savy to upsell their products.:mad: Intuit is even more guilty of this than Microsoft!

The cell phone companies are not exempt from using these tactics either! It seems none of these companies want you to use their products for as long as you possibly can. Oh no! Now, from what I understand, most cell phones do not have an external battery, so when the battery craps out, you need to get a new phone.:rolleyes:

Maybe I should have posted this in the rant section.:p

AngieNRS, this place is so good to learn and get help. Have my work cut out with all the tech vocabulary. Thanks you.

I have 10 on my laptop and I hate it, partially because I don't use it very much I suppose.

With that said, you aren't losing 7, you're just losing Microsoft support. Here is what I would do, make sure you have all of the latest updates downloaded and installed before the cut off date. If you haven't, install a good anti virus, I like AVAST free edition, it works very well. If you like it you can subscribe to an upgraded version for very little annually. I really like the basic version, I can just open the dashboard and do everything computer related there, scanning for viruses, speed up your PC's performance etc.

As long as you protect yourself 7 should work just fine for quite a while. One more thing that I do, I go into my modem (if you have one) and change the username and password, (make sure to write it down, lol).

Next, use a browser that isn't Microsoft specific. Most viruses are written to affect Microsoft.

I'm still running Windows XP with no issues.

Thank you Curmudgion .After I let some of this sink in I'll let yall know what I did.

To all of you :Thankyou::great::thumbs:

Last edited:
Just for clarity: OS vulnerabilities generally cannot be protected by anti-virus or anti-malware programs. Hackers will use a specific vulnerability to gain access to your data, which is not the types of behavior that would be picked up by most security suites. Vulnerabilities that are found and repaired in the updates you receive when your OS is supported. Also if you do choose to use an OS that is no longer supported (something that is done all over the world) I would not use that particular computer to do my online banking, file tax returns, or otherwise store or transmit data you want secure. For general computer use, internet surfing, office activities, etc. it would not be that big of deal.

We've never did any business online or banking. I'm too paranoid for that, don't forget I'm one who thinks my puter and HDMI cable to TV is watching us:ghostly: compliments of Alex Jones, and youtube..:thumbs:

Thanks SuperV, Not sure about browser but I think it is Opera if thats a browser.But its good to know I don'y have to feed the 'pigs' :great: :lil guy:
I have used Firefox for years since IE got 'too old' to work.:rolleyes:
Unlike the browsers that sell out your every move online to advertisers (Google Chrome, Safari and others) it was created by guys fed-up with the 'browser-war'.
It's free, open source, and supported only by donations from fed-up people:mad:.
No ads anywhere in it. No selling of your info:).

I have used Firefox for years

I too use Firefox, with Bing as my search engine. I like Firefox because it's easy to customize it via extensions to eliminate tons of garbage.

Unlike the browsers that sell out your every move online to advertisers (Google Chrome, Safari and others) it was created by guys fed-up with the 'browser-war'.
It's free, open source, and supported only by donations from fed-up people:mad:.

I think I have two browsers now, Googlr and Opera. But till I can see better me nor self made puter tech 'hubby' ain't fixing anything till we know what we'er doing.
Things were going along then 'BAM! I get messed up and now all kinds of puter problems like buffering ,slow loading,etc,etc,etc,.
But maybe this is the lemonaide from the lemons, because it will force me to learn. I'm a Jill of all trades 'well not all trades :D except computers or technology.

Things were going along then 'BAM! I get messed up and now all kinds of puter problems like buffering ,slow loading,etc,etc,etc,.

You might go here: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

Download the FREE edition. Once installed, open>click Analyze>once it finishes analyzing>click Run Cleaner.

Everything that is essential is already checked. At a later date you can choose other areas for it to search or select things to exclude. That should clean up a bunch of old cookies and junk on your laptop.

But till I can see better me nor self made puter tech 'hubby' ain't fixing anything till we know what we'er doing.

1) Make sure to download all Win. 7 updates before the final date.

2) Go here and give Firefox a try:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

3) Go here and give Avast a try: *Select the FREE download.*

https://www.avast.com/en-us/index#pc
================================================

Hope it helps.

Download the FREE edition. Once installed, open>click Analyze>once it finishes analyzing>click Run Cleaner.

Everything that is essential is already checked. At a later date you can choose other areas for it to search or select things to exclude. That should clean up a bunch of old cookies and junk on your laptop.

Hope it helps.

Curmudgeon,thanks again so nice of you .:thumbs:

I use Firefox with Duck Duck Go. Firefox is the least 'data stealing' of all the browsers with Google Chrome being the worst (and Opera is just open source Chromium, so basically just Google Chrome with a different look). Another good browser if you don't mind limited syncing options is Brave. The security is built in and it's very fast.

Also with CCleaner (which is awesome) you have to be careful not to wipe our all your saved usernames and passwords. I learned that a long long time ago. The hard way.

Firefox and Opera.........Best there are in browsers.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

https://www.opera.com/

I use Firefox with Duck Duck Go. Firefox is the least 'data stealing' of all the browsers with Google Chrome being the worst (and Opera is just open source Chromium, so basically just Google Chrome with a different look). Another good browser if you don't mind limited syncing options is Brave. The security is built in and it's very fast.

Also with CCleaner (which is awesome) you have to be careful not to wipe our all your saved usernames and passwords. I learned that a long long time ago. The hard way.

I do use Duck Duck Go. So I guess I got that one right. Thans Sentry.

Correct............as did I, lol. I only have Firefox save non secure (as in forums, FB etc) Usernames and Passwords anyway, so it wasn't too bad.

Any critical stuff (banking etc) I manually enter each time.

Hope it helps.
A few years ago spyware was found embedded in CCleaner. I was a loyal user of several Piriform products until I discovered that. Immediately found alternative products and removed all their software.

I concur with the Linux recommendation. It can be a little intimidating at first, but if all you do is generic web surfing you shouldn't have a problem once you get used to the new interface. Some "flavors" are even designed to mimic the UI of Windows to ease the transition.
I've been wanting to make the switch for several years but I won't be able to for various reasons for several more years.

A few years ago spyware was found embedded in CCleaner. I was a loyal user of several Piriform products until I discovered that. Immediately found alternative products and removed all their software.

I concur with the Linux recommendation. It can be a little intimidating at first, but if all you do is generic web surfing you shouldn't have a problem once you get used to the new interface. Some "flavors" are even designed to mimic the UI of Windows to ease the transition.
I've been wanting to make the switch for several years but I won't be able to for various reasons for several more years.

Thanks you guys. But do I have to get another laptop for Linux ? This Dell Inspiran 15,Intel Core 13 is not but about 3 years old.
Is Linux a browser? I do like youtube too although they are getting more bias and chasing non liberal's off.
Do I use Fierfox with this one?

Thanks you guys. But do I have to get another laptop for Linux ? This Dell Inspiran 15,Intel Core 13 is not but about 3 years old.
Is Linux a browser? I do like youtube too although they are getting more bias and chasing non liberal's off.
Do I use Fierfox with this one?

Linux is an Operating System, like Windows, Chrome, Android, etc. You don''t need to get a new computer, but you better get some expert help installing Linux. I use Firefox and Opera as my browsers on Linux Ubuntu.

Linux is an Operating System, like Windows, Chrome, Android, etc. You don''t need to get a new computer, but you better get some expert help installing Linux. I use Firefox and Opera as my browsers on Linux Ubuntu.

Ok Vwnom j I think I may try Firefox and keep Opera. I'm not that good with this and neither is hubby. I have improved a lot tough since I first came online 12 years ago.We just stayed busy clearing land, and youtube garden and repair videos. And a few forums.

Ok Vwnom j I think I may try Firefox and keep Opera. I'm not that good with this and neither is hubby. I have improved a lot tough since I first came online 12 years ago.We just stayed busy clearing land, and youtube garden and repair videos. And a few forums.
As VJ said, Linux is the operating system. It is an alternative to Windows or MacOS. Linux is open source, which means anybody can review the behind-the-scenes code that makes it work. Linux is actually a blanket term. It has a few major families, which are further divided into dozens of variations formally known as distributions (distros for short).
Ubuntu is probably the most DIY supported. Mint is probably the easiest for non-techy people.
Last time I installed Ubuntu, I used hardware from 2009, and it ran faster than with Windows 10. It was a piece of cake to install but that's not always the case, especially with laptops. In your case it would probably be best to have someone get it running for you.

Here's the huge (and probably incomplete) list of Linux verions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions
Google's Android and ChromeOS operating systems are highly customized versions of Linux too.

Firefox is an amazing web browser. It gets better with every update (which is nearly invisible). The developers are trying to keep the internet safe and private for the common user. There's also extensions which makes customization nearly limitless.

As VJ said, Linux is the operating system. It is an alternative to Windows or MacOS. Linux is open source, which means anybody can review the behind-the-scenes code that makes it work. Linux is actually a blanket term. It has a few major families, which are further divided into dozens of variations formally known as distributions (distros for short).
Ubuntu is probably the most DIY supported. Mint is probably the easiest for non-techy people.
Last time I installed Ubuntu, I used hardware from 2009, and it ran faster than with Windows 10. It was a piece of cake to install but that's not always the case, especially with laptops. In your case it would probably be best to have someone get it running for you.

Here's the huge (and probably incomplete) list of Linux verions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions
Google's Android and ChromeOS operating systems are highly customized versions of Linux too.

Firefox is an amazing web browser. It gets better with every update (which is nearly invisible). The developers are trying to keep the internet safe and private for the common user. There's also extensions which makes customization nearly limitless.

Thank you Hippo T. I'm learning lots just on this thread thanks to all of you who help me.

Latest posts

Back