No MoreWindows 7 After Jan.14th 2020, What Options

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As VJ said, Linux is the operating system. It is an alternative to Windows or MacOS. Linux is open source, which means anybody can review the behind-the-scenes code that makes it work. Linux is actually a blanket term. It has a few major families, which are further divided into dozens of variations formally known as distributions (distros for short).
Ubuntu is probably the most DIY supported. Mint is probably the easiest for non-techy people.
Last time I installed Ubuntu, I used hardware from 2009, and it ran faster than with Windows 10. It was a piece of cake to install but that's not always the case, especially with laptops. In your case it would probably be best to have someone get it running for you.

Here's the huge (and probably incomplete) list of Linux verions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions
Google's Android and ChromeOS operating systems are highly customized versions of Linux too.

Firefox is an amazing web browser. It gets better with every update (which is nearly invisible). The developers are trying to keep the internet safe and private for the common user. There's also extensions which makes customization nearly limitless.

Firefox and Opera are the two best browsers in existence I believe. Kind of a toss up as to which is "better." Firefox is a tad faster than Opera, but Opera has built in VPN if you turn it on. Six of one, half dozen of the other....personal preference is likely going to be the determining factor. I prefer Opera, but I also use Firefox on occasion. The one exception is my Chromebook, on which I use the Chrome browser, naturally. I have five computers, three desktops and two laptops, and all except the Chromebook are running Ubuntu, with Firefox and Opera as their browsers.

Opera is just Google Chrome with a few visual tweaks and ad-ons. Google developed chromium and then based the Chrome browser on it. They then allowed others like Opera, Vivaldi, Yankdex, etc. to develop browsers from it as well. The same way Google Chrome is a data recorder for their servers, I presume the others are as well.

I like Firefox too, but it requires some add-ons to ensure privacy and improve the looks.

A few years ago spyware was found embedded in CCleaner. I was a loyal user of several Piriform products until I discovered that.

Is nothing sacred anymore..................lolol? That's interesting, I would think that Avast system scan would detect Spyware......no?

Security software is like home security. Even if you have redundant systems in place, there is a vulnerability somewhere just waiting to be exploited. And people who will spend all of their time trying to find them.

Just for the record, you can download and install a free program called Classic Shell that makes Windows 10 look and act similar to Windows 7. It makes a very easy transition from one OS to the other. I upgraded to Win10 years ago and added that extension. Have been running smooth and issue free ever since.

The primary concern with an outdated OS is not performance or functionality, it's the lack of security updates. But a good security software suite and safe computing habits can mitigate some of those concerns.

It says it changed to 'Open Shell' in 20 17. But when I downlaoded it ,it said ' classic Shell'. So will see.So now should I check on Firefox?

Firefox and Opera are the two best browsers in existence I believe. Kind of a toss up as to which is "better." Firefox is a tad faster than Opera, but Opera has built in VPN if you turn it on. Six of one, half dozen of the other....personal preference is likely going to be the determining factor. I prefer Opera, but I also use Firefox on occasion. The one exception is my Chromebook, on which I use the Chrome browser, naturally. I have five computers, three desktops and two laptops, and all except the Chromebook are running Ubuntu, with Firefox and Opera as their browsers.

So guess I use Firefox? I just downloaded Shell . I think I'll try to use Firefox, doI need Opera too? I still can't figure out how to get a VPN. We have been reading it for hours now and between the two of us can't seem to know if I have it or not.

So guess I use Firefox? I just downloaded Shell . I think I'll try to use Firefox, doI need Opera too? I still can't figure out how to get a VPN. We have been reading it for hours now and between the two of us can't seem to know if I have it or not.

You don't "need" Opera...it's just handy to have as a second browser, and it has built=in VPN. In Opera you go to the browser settings and scroll down until you come to the "VPN - on/off" button, and turn it on from there.

You don't "need" Opera...it's just handy to have as a second browser, and it has built=in VPN. In Opera you go to the browser settings and scroll down until you come to the "VPN - on/off" button, and turn it on from there.

Ok VenomJ I'll see what I can do. Do the two work together,firefox ,opera? Sorry for being so ignorant about this but got by so long without effort guess I got lazy.

VenomJ. this is what I got to work with. :ghostly:. Hubby gave up and took a nap. :doghouse:

VPN
Normally, your browser connects directly to websites, allowing websites to identify your IP address and approximate location. With VPN, you connect to websites via a VPN (virtual private network) server. As a result, your apparent location changes to the location of the server.

Before using the free and no-log VPN service in Opera, you need to enable it:

1. In Opera, go to Settings.
  2. In the sidebar, click Advanced, then click Privacy & security.
  3. Under VPN, click Enable VPN.

Is nothing sacred anymore..................lolol? That's interesting, I would think that Avast system scan would detect Spyware......no?
I lost confidence in most AV software years ago. Even my employer, a Fortune 200 company, got rid of AV on their computers. They just hardened the corporate network, and re-image peoples' computers if it gets screwed up.
Most malware gets pumped out through malicious elements of websites now. If you take basic steps to block ads and trackers, you've made AV 99% irrelevant.

This brings up another security concept. When you get a computer setup how you want it, make a backup image. If you screw it up somehow, just restore from your backup.
Keep personal files on an external, encrypted drive. And make incremental backups.

Which one should I click on,

Enable VPNLearn more
Browse with VPN to prevent third parties from tracking you

VPN connects to websites via various servers around the world, so your connection speed might be affected

Bypass VPN for default search engines

There are times that I use VPN but for my "known safe" sites I bypass the VPN but other stuff I do it is always on.
If you can it is best to "randomize" the VPN connections as that makes it that much harder to crack. The more connections used, the better off you are but more than three can slow your connections to a crawl.

There are times that I use VPN but for my "known safe" sites I bypass the VPN but other stuff I do it is always on.
If you can it is best to "randomize" the VPN connections as that makes it that much harder to crack. The more connections used, the better off you are but more than three can slow your connections to a crawl.
Are connections bookmarks or broswers? I'm about to go see if SHELL is tunred on and I think I have OPERA and FIREFOX.

Are connections bookmarks or broswers? I'm about to go see if SHELL is tunred on and I think I have OPERA and FIREFOX.
VPN's work by acting as a trusted middle man.
Your computer connects to a server belonging to the VPN, it could be anywhere in the world. That server in turn connects to the website you want to visit. Anybody "watching" your traffic will only know that you connected to the VPN server. The website will only know they were connected to the VPN server. The connection between you and the VPN is encrypted, so even if somebody was spying on that, they couldn't make sense of it.

Some VPN's allow you to daisy-chain connections. You could connect to a server in the US...then Japan...then to that weird anime website.
Your ISP only knows you're connecting to the VPN's US server. The anime website only knows it was connected to the VPN's Japan server. Only the VPN knows what happened in the middle. The good VPN's don't' keep logs, so even they won't know what you did after the fact.

VPN's work by acting as a trusted middle man.
Your computer connects to a server belonging to the VPN, it could be anywhere in the world. That server in turn connects to the website you want to visit. Anybody "watching" your traffic will only know that you connected to the VPN server. The website will only know they were connected to the VPN server. The connection between you and the VPN is encrypted, so even if somebody was spying on that, they couldn't make sense of it.

Some VPN's allow you to daisy-chain connections. You could connect to a server in the US...then Japan...then to that weird anime website.
Your ISP only knows you're connecting to the VPN's US server. The anime website only knows it was connected to the VPN's Japan server. Only the VPN knows what happened in the middle. The good VPN's don't' keep logs, so even they won't know what you did after the fa

Last edited:
Unless you disable it or clear the history your computer will keep track of which VPN it has used. They might clear their history but you are responsible for the history on your computer.
My computer remembers nothing as soon as I shut down the browser.

Unless you disable it or clear the history your computer will keep track of which VPN it has used. They might clear their history but you are responsible for the history on your computer.
My computer remembers nothing as soon as I shut down the browser.

I always clear hisstory. :thumbs::Thankyou:

Do you also delete your cookies? (there is more but I am not going to get into it.)

Latest posts

Back