"NO TRESPASSING" signs and unwanted guests

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
How many here know what the trespass laws are in their state?
In Washington you don't need signs but fences and signs do provide liability relief.
Also, in Washington state, "NO GUN" signs have no power of law behind them.
I wonder if a "NO TRESPASS" sign that also states "NO GUNS" would place a gun toting trespasser into a felon.
There is a fine line between trespass and burglary that deals mostly with intent.

It has been my experience the signs don't stop most people. What are your experiences and what signs do you use?

In my neck of the woods.

No signs? The Trespasser has to be verbally ordered off the property and if the Trespasser refuses to leave then the Trespasser is "guilty" of trespassing.

If the property is posted "NO TRESPASSING" the Trespasser is "guilty" when he/she ignores the sign and steps onto your property.

Front of my property is not posted. I want family, friends and the UPS Driver to feel welcomed. Not easy seen is a driveway that leads to the back of my property. Half back on this driveway is a gate with two sings, "NO TRESPASSING" and "BEWARE OF DOG".

...It has been my experience the signs don't stop most people. What are your experiences ...

I am surprised when I see a Driver actually come to a full stop at a STOP sign or actually under the posted speed limit!

Last edited:
Lazy L,
I have had friends who were sued because of injuries from a dog BECAUSE they had a sign. They were held responsible because, as per the sign, they knew the dog was dangerous. They were liable for pain, suffering and reparation and the dog had to be put down. I will never put my dogs at risk like that. Without a sign the dogs are held for medical checkup and then released back to the owner as a possible threat. At least you still have your dog.

If you don't have a fence or signs, in Washington, you can be held liable for an accidental injury that a trespasser might suffer. Gross negligence is not a requirement for action.

IF YOU CAN READ THIS
YOU HAVE BEEN IN RANGE
FOR THE LAST 10 MINUTES.

OK, no, I don't actually have those signs, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Where I am, the law says trespass occurs when someone knowingly enters or stays on someone else's property. It's considered a violation, not a crime unless an actual crime has taken place (eg: theft, destruction of property). Knock on wood, but trespassing has not been a problem for me or mine or any friends/family.

No signs? The Trespasser has to be verbally ordered off the property and if the Trespasser refuses to leave then the Trespasser is "guilty" of trespassing.

If the property is posted "NO TRESPASSING" the Trespasser is "guilty" when he/she ignores the sign and steps onto your property.
I believe it is similar around here. But trespassing where there is a sign is only a misdemeanor while ordering someone off your property and they do not leave is a gross misdemeanor (I think).

Most here order someone off and if the y don't leave then the owner goes in the shed and gets a shovel.

These are the three I like the best:
NoTrespassing.jpg
RestrictedArea.jpg

FiringRange.jpg

Each one for a different location on the property. They are 18" x 14".

Yep, those signs are great to think about but if you have a situation they have an easier time in court.
I think most people know that trespassing is a misdemeanor or at worst a gross misdemeanor and that there will be no prosecution. They get a ticket to pay.
I am hoping by adding the "NO GUNS" it becomes a felony kind of like petty theft and armed robbery. They are the same crime but one involves a weapon.

Yep, those signs are great to think about but if you have a situation they have an easier time in court.
I think most people know that trespassing is a misdemeanor or at worst a gross misdemeanor and that there will be no prosecution. They get a ticket to pay.
I am hoping by adding the "NO GUNS" it becomes a felony kind of like petty theft and armed robbery. They are the same crime but one involves a weapon.

Florida has 'stand your ground law ' I'm sure that also applies to your property.

We had 3 teens climb over our 5' barbed wire topped no climb fence last year. They came right up to the house. I told them to get off our property and stop climbing our fence. So fa the 16 to 14 yr olds haven't come back. Of course nobody will hurt these kids but they will be reported if they come back.
In Georgia I had 3 men come up on me and I half pointed rifle at them and told them to leave in not so nice a way. DH was at work, I was alone with 2 small grands.

Florida has 'stand your ground law ' I'm sure that also applies to your property.

We had 3 teens climb over our 5' barbed wire topped no climb fence last year. They came right up to the house. I told them to get off our property and stop climbing our fence. So fa the 16 to 14 yr olds haven't come back. Of course nobody will hurt these kids but they will be reported if they come back.
In Georgia I had 3 men come up on me and I half pointed rifle at them and told them to leave in not so nice a way. DH was at work, I was alone with 2 small grands.
No! You did not point the gun at them, that could be considered assault. You simple told three trespassers to vacate your property while legally holding your firearm.

In S.C. trespassing on "posted property"/ a sign with "No Trespass" can cost you $25 to $1000. or 30 days to 6 months in Jail.
A no gun sign holds weight also.

So you will walk 12 miles on public roads to get home because of a vehicle failure instead of cutting across a field and ridge line for a mile journey to home plus go unarmed, Its a wonderful thing when people have to be too protective of their land.

Around here the land owners are all ornery if you are an "outsider" but super friendly if you live around here. Part of that comes from all the summer tourists and fall hunters that come from a long ways away and some of which are pigs which taints the whole herd.

We had just bought the wooded property and was staking a spot for the house when I saw two strangers hacking a trail through the back of my property. I went and had a talk with them.

"Is there something I can help you with?" I asked

"No. We are just marking a trail for our annual enduro race."

"Oh. Do you have permission from the property owner?

"Yes we do."

"Strange. I'm the property owner and I didn't give anyone permission."

The strangers started looking towards their back trail. I'm guessing they are trying to figure out their fastest way of escape and wondering if banjo music is going to start. I asked details about this enduro race and did they have liability insurance.

"Yes we have liability insurance."

"Good. Here is my name and address, if you mail me a copy of your liability insurance policy I'll give you permission to cross my land." I went back to staking the house location and the strangers went back to marking a trail. When I got home I called the Farmer I had bought the property from. Yes he had given permission for the enduro race before he had sold the property to me. Farmer apologized for forgetting to tell, me "No big deal", I said.

They never did mail me proof of insurance. So the next year when strangers were on my property unannounced remarking the trail I told them since they didn't provide proof of insurance last year they don't have permission this year.

Soon after the house foundation was poured and forms removed someone(s) had written obscene language on the basement walls. Tent we had was cut to shreds. After the house was enclosed someone(s) tried to pry a window open. Things I thought juveniles would do. And the only juveniles within walking distance was the grandkids of the Farmer I had bought the property from. The next time I met the Farmer I explained to the Farmer what was happening and that I had told the Sheriff that yes I would absolutely press charges. Farmer had a faraway thoughtful look on his face and we didn't have any more vandalism after that.

Fast forward about 15 years. We got our house built, shop built and a driveway to shop. Winter with too much snow on the ground. When I left for work I noticed snowmobile tracks leaving the road, across my septic mound and towards my house. When I got home from work I followed the tracks both ways. Snowmobile came from the east, almost pass my property, before turning to cross my septic mound, up my driveway to the attached garage, then started out the other half of my "U" shaped driveway. They spied by driveway going back to my shop, they turned around and followed my shop drive, drove around my shop and followed my foot path though the rear of my property and then into my neighbor's farm field. I was ticked! First because someone(s) had so little respect for other peoples rights that they had done this. Second because they had been able to do so and we hadn't heard them (snow mobiles aren't quiet). My best guess is this happen when we were a sleep, wife is the lite sleeper and she never heard anything. So much for my security!?!? Right where the culvert cross my shop driveway I now have a gate with "NO TRESSPASING" and "BEWARE OF DOG" signs. My hope is if there is a next time the ditch will be full of snow (unseen) and when they try to snowmobile around the gate, dodging the trees and the newly placed rocks they will get stuck in the ditch. Then they can explain to the Sheriff why they wondered off the public road, entered my property and tried to drive around my posted gated! And until the Sheriff and myself are satisfied they do not have my permission to enter my property to retrieve the snowmobile.

Lazy L,
I have had friends who were sued because of injuries from a dog BECAUSE they had a sign. They were held responsible because, as per the sign, they knew the dog was dangerous. They were liable for pain, suffering and reparation and the dog had to be put down. I will never put my dogs at risk like that. Without a sign the dogs are held for medical checkup and then released back to the owner as a possible threat. At least you still have your dog.

If you don't have a fence or signs, in Washington, you can be held liable for an accidental injury that a trespasser might suffer. Gross negligence is not a requirement for action.
A Yakima County Sheriff told my Dad a beware of dog sign was a bad idea for the reasons you stated.
So he took down the sign and put up one that said "A rotten dog lives here."
People had no idea what that meant and most would not get out of their car.
Dad didn't even have a dog.:)

My uncle was on a road trip and decided that the no trespassing sign didn't apply to him. It was winter and when he got a bit further up the trail he saw a sign saying, bear traps set everywhere. This sign he took to heart and turned around using the same tracks that he made coming in. This man has little respect for others or their things.

Be careful about what your sign says. If it threatens violence in any manner this can bode ill for you in court. Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again signs are funny until you shoot a home invader. Now you add in an over zealous prosecutor that points to your sign and claims that you are a blood thirsty murderer waiting for an excuse to kill and a funny sign becomes intent and self defense becomes premeditated murder.

I was a juror on a murder trial once. We wanted to jail the prosecutor , all twelve of us, and give a medal to the man on trial. I wonder how many tens of thousands of dollars this man spent for his not guilty verdict. A murder trial today can cost in the six figures, easily. Is that funny sign worth the risk of losing your freedom or your home? Don't give the legal system any ammo.

Everything you describe LZ is someone being destructive of and on your property, I would be mad also, but just wanting to cross some property with no ill intent is a different matter entirely. Have any of you lately taken a walk cross country? No not in national forests, on trails or on roadbeds, I guess not, cause ya still would not be home. I have and yes you have to cross fence lines, creeks, fields to get where you are going, and yes I have had people holler at me ( I just wave and cut the shortest path across the property). I have been confronted and if approached in a friendly manner the landowners almost always turn nice, the ones that turn into AHs I just turn and walk away there is nothing else they can do without the Sherriff there because they are now the ones escalating the conflict and I will not be on the property long enuf for the law to arrive.

In Alaska, you can cross unimproved property unless there is a sign or the owner tells you to leave. So, you can't cross someone's backyard or field but if you inadvertently cross someones wooded lot while hunting, that is cool unless told to leave.

...Have any of you lately taken a walk cross country? No not in national forests, on trails or on roadbeds....

No Sir I have not taken a walk by entering private property without asking the landowner's permission.

If I did cross without the landowner's permission, wouldn't that be similar to problem we currently have with our border with Mexico?

I have issue with the aggressive prosecutor theory. Property rights are the foundation of rights. Property rights trump "civil rights." The prosecution of shooting trespassers goes along with self protection prosecutions. It is veiled communism, disguised as justice and public safety.

I have issue with the aggressive prosecutor theory. Property rights are the foundation of rights. Property rights trump "civil rights." The prosecution of shooting trespassers goes along with self protection prosecutions. It is veiled communism, disguised as justice and public safety.
I am unclear as to what you are saying here. Could you explain your opinion please?

Slight diff,I am a citizen of this country and am travelling across the land with no ill intent, If the land owner confronts and asks I will gladly tell them what I am doing and will be off the property soon.

Latest posts

Back