Northeast USA

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, finally someone in my neck of the woods! haha. It's great to hear from you. How's your season going so far?
So far, so good. The gardens are doing great in spite of gypsy moth caterpillars and June being really dry.

Is there a reason you couldn't winterize where you are now to make it safe from wind and cold? Unfortunately, housing prices are pretty nuts right now and most of the Finger Lakes region is highly desirable. If you're out of the winery zone, maybe property are more affordable.

So far, so good. The gardens are doing great in spite of gypsy moth caterpillars and June being really dry.

Is there a reason you couldn't winterize where you are now to make it safe from wind and cold? Unfortunately, housing prices are pretty nuts right now and most of the Finger Lakes region is highly desirable. If you're out of the winery zone, maybe property are more affordable.

I'm glad to hear everything is doing well! Everything seems to be doing well here, besides some hail damage that took out a tomato or two. I actually stumbled across a giant wild blackberry bush while clearing around one of the old buildings around here.

As for staying here for the winter - we wouldn't be opposed, but we are at the mercy of the property owner (aka my wife's 86 year old grandmother 😇) She seems to believe that we would not be able to stay here over the winter (even with skirting and winterization) on account of the snow/wind. She also does not live here in the winter, probably for that reason, so it's tough to say.

We would be okay with staying in the area in an RV park, but honestly can't seem to find any that are open year round in New York that have availability.

We do seem to be having luck in Pennsylvania for year round RV parks with availability. Anyone have any experience with winters in PA? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I'm glad to hear everything is doing well! Everything seems to be doing well here, besides some hail damage that took out a tomato or two. I actually stumbled across a giant wild blackberry bush while clearing around one of the old buildings around here.

As for staying here for the winter - we wouldn't be opposed, but we are at the mercy of the property owner (aka my wife's 86 year old grandmother 😇) She seems to believe that we would not be able to stay here over the winter (even with skirting and winterization) on account of the snow/wind. She also does not live here in the winter, probably for that reason, so it's tough to say.

We would be okay with staying in the area in an RV park, but honestly can't seem to find any that are open year round in New York that have availability.

We do seem to be having luck in Pennsylvania for year round RV parks with availability. Anyone have any experience with winters in PA? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Assuming you are SW NY

We live in SW. PA but keep an eye on SW NY because The Princess owns property on Lake Chautauqua.

North of of I 80 they make snow.

There is lake affect precipitation

But other wise a land of milk and honey, asper George Washington.

Ben

Welcome from SW Virginia mountains. It gets as cold here a lot of the time in winter as it does in your area. But we live in a house. Good luck figuring it out. IMO , it is least expensive to buy a run down old farm ( we did) if you want to live in a rural area. But right now is probably not a good time to buy , everyone is buying up farmland. We just sold a hay field ( half hour away from where the rest of our farm is) and got a good amount of money for it, sold in 1 day.

Welcome from SW Virginia mountains. It gets as cold here a lot of the time in winter as it does in your area. But we live in a house. Good luck figuring it out. IMO , it is least expensive to buy a run down old farm ( we did) if you want to live in a rural area. But right now is probably not a good time to buy , everyone is buying up farmland. We just sold a hay field ( half hour away from where the rest of our farm is) and got a good amount of money for it, sold in 1 day.

Yes! Thanks for the great advice. We were almost feeling pressured to buy an old house so we could get on land this year, but we ultimately decided to ride the market down. Even if that takes a few years in our travel trailer.

Welcome to here! I'm looking forward to reading your posts.

To loosely answer your question about where to go (for winter): I'm a big fan of living where the weather doesn't try to kill me, and is my saving grace when times get hard(er).

Welcome from Florida.
While we occasionally have to deal with hurricane force winds, we never have to deal with snow.
I'll defer to the other members on advice for winter.

Welcome from Arizona- where we deal with snow and rain, but mostly just beautiful sunny weather (we're in the mountains, not down in thePhoenix area, AKA the Valley of Hell).

Latest posts

Back