Northeast USA

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisToboggan

Friend
Neighbor
Hey everyone. My wife and I are currently living in our travel trailer on 5 acres of family land near one of the finger lakes. It is farmland, and we currently have a small garden we tend to. Blueberries, raspberries, rhubarb, bush beans, corn, and carrots are all doing well this year. Unfortunately we're told we can't live here during the winter because of the wind/snow. We're in the process of figuring out where to spend the winter, any tips on that would be super helpful. We don't plan to be on this family property forever - our plan was to find property to start our own, or join a community of likeminded peers that are interested in regenerative agriculture practices, and the mindfulness that is involved within treating the Earth, and all of its' inhabitants with compassion.

We're looking forward to meeting people that want to share knowledge and ideas that can make living a meaningful life, for those that choose to do so, a possibility.

Best,
A&C

A warm welcome from Alaska!

Welcome from Oregon. I am not sure what information you are looking for. Are you inquiring about communities we may know, climate etc?

There is a place in southern California that would be nice in the winter called slab city. It's a little off beat and wierd. Wait I already said socal. 😁

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slab_City,_California

Welcome from Oregon. I am not sure what information you are looking for. Are you inquiring about communities we may know, climate etc?

There is a place in southern California that would be nice in the winter called slab city. It's a little off beat and wierd. Wait I already said socal. 😁

Welcome from Iowa!

OMG Slab City...what a freakshow. If you don't mind not having water, it'd be great...

Thanks for the welcome. I should have been more specific about where we're looking, but I guess I thought I had implied. We would really love to stay in the Northeast. The cold and snow doesn't bother us, and we're not strangers to working hard to live.

There are members here that come out here to the California desert for the winter that are from BFE up in the Northern states (Montana and the like.)

I wish we could go north for the summer!

I know of a number of folks who live or have lived in the finger lakes year round in an rv. I wouldn’t want to unless I had to, but parked in a barn or like structure, with neighbors who respected your privacy, it can be done. There are still places around with little or no zoning or code.....
Welcome to the forum! The Finger Lakes are awesome.

I know of a number of folks who live or have lived in the finger lakes year round in an rv. I wouldn’t want to unless I had to, but parked in a barn or like structure, with neighbors who respected your privacy, it can be done. There are still places around with little or no zoning or code.....
Welcome to the forum! The Finger Lakes are awesome.
Thanks for the response, Tootsie!

We are well aware that it's not an easy task, and not one many people would undertake voluntarily. But we are younger and have figured that a few years sacrifice now will be worth its' weight in gold when we are on the other side. We are in a right to farm community currently, and the only neighbor we have for a mile couldn't care less that we're living in our RV. There seems to be interesting work arounds in the right to farm communities. I've heard they allow for unique buildings/living situations because it was integral to the farm business.

We don't plan on living in the RV forever, but while we look for property and build a house on said property. So as long as we're not going to blow away in a blizzard, we really do love this area and would love to settle nearby.

Last edited:
Also, to tag on - we wouldn't be opposed to spending the winter somewhere where someone is already established.. We would ideally trade physical labor for a place to park our travel trailer and homesteading knowledge. We have plenty of reputable references. I used to be a veterinary technician before covid. I'm great with animals, and I have a green thumb to boot. A good friend of mine is a Veterinarian, and also a boarded Theriogenologist, which is a fancy word for a very knowledgable animal breeder. My wife and I have assets, we just need to get more creative with marketing ourselves.

Welcome! I'm a little bit north of you - Rochester.

@MantisToboggan this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but the Eastern Shore of Maryland is normally not too bad in winter. There are a lot of crops grown that side of the Bay in the spring, summer, fall. Lots of campgrounds too. There are five different zones in Maryland for temps. While the central and mountainous area may be cold and having snow, east of the Bay is rain (or freezing rain).
Just a suggestion.
(For comparison, Washington, DC, right at the edge of Maryland, is considered a humid sub-tropical climate zone).

Welcome from South Carolina, USA.

Hello and welcome, this is a great forum to be on, people with tons of information and lots of love for one an other, very little infighting, which is a very good thing.

Hello and welcome, this is a great forum to be on, people with tons of information and lots of love for one an other, very little infighting, which is a very good thing.

thank you for the welcome! it seems like a great place to be, I'm glad to be here. everyone has been very welcoming. And I can appreciate no infighting, forums can get really bogged down with that stuff. and honestly even at 29, I'm too old for drama. That's why I live in a travel trailer with my wife and 4 cats in the middle of nowhere hahaha.

Latest posts

Back