Not a house plant but...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Just your average ninja
Neighbor
This little guys has been rooming with us this winter and doing great! ExMIL brought me a pineapple from their yard in FL last summer. After we ate it I planted the top ! He only goes on the porch when it's 60+
IMG_20180116_075343.jpg
IMG_20180116_075352.jpg

IMG_20170710_102032.jpg
I think that I want to try this Dawn!!! How long did it take to develop roots enough to plant it?
I think it was only a couple of weeks. My pictures info says that one was taken July 8th and this one July 10. But that doesn't seem right. Because that first pic has no roots. But IIRC it was a couple of weeks.

I have a fairly green thumb, but have never been able to get a pineapple past planting it after it rooted. As soon as I plant it, it begins to die.

Avocados? I have never successfully gotten one to root in water. However, I have gotten many to root by simply putting the pit in potting soil in a pit, larger end down. I actually have about a dozen growing now. I was just reading about how to grow dwarf trees. I read that an avocado plant (tree) can be dwarfed to help it to produce fruit. Getting plenty of sunlight is very important for that to happen, and I don't have the best southern light for that in my house. I have great eastern morning light.

Usually when I have planted the avocado pits, I don't plant them very deep. The top was actually sticking out. I try to eat an avocado a day, and just kept putting the pits into a pot in my kitchen window sill. When they started to sprout, I didn't add any more. There was one pit that had been in there for months before it sprouted.

I'm really not sure. But, unknown to DH I'd love to build a lean to style atrium on the south facing side of our house.
My bedroom is going to be on the south side of the house next to the well. I'm seriously considering building a small(8x10) green house there. As long as it doesn't block the deer crossing trails so I can't watch the deer and Turkey.

I think that I want to try this Dawn!!! How long did it take to develop roots enough to plant it?

Many pineapple tops have small root on them when you buy the fruit, do not cut to close to the crown of the plant top.
If you gentle remove the small top blade you will find small roots.
You can put them in water, but some persons plant them in pots after gentle removing the pulp at the base of the top.

http://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/flowers-and-plants/fruit/how-to-grow-pineapple-plants

Latest posts

Back