"Not Going To Happen To Me Again" - Prepping Goes Mainstream In Post-COVID Era

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished reading that. It is well done; the kind of levelheaded thing you can send to people we care about.

Last edited:
I rather like being a weirdo!
I also enjoy the company of other weirdos... :)

The Great Awakening, lol.

I wish the kiddos would step up, I keep telling them. There are a lot of people I speak to who think they are good with 2 weeks of food.

Once in a great while I shop at a fancy grocery store by a major university (only place with lamb). Just in the last year I often see young couples there with lists trying to buy shelf stable items. College students buying bags of rice and dried beans is new phenomenon.

One couple seemed confused about rice in 1 & 2lb bags. I sent them to the Asian market where they can buy rice in 20lb bags. They were thrilled!

I wish the kiddos would step up, I keep telling them. There are a lot of people I speak to who think they are good with 2 weeks of food.
The ones that really get me are the ones that live among millions in the megatropolis and say: "If we run out of food we will just eat at a restaurant, you silly boy! :rolleyes:"

Then when the pandemic hit, they found that the first thing the guvment did, was shut down all the restaurants!gaah

I think some people are much more set against it than others. There is a view that it is "hoarding" and in the process, denying others of food. We might get it, but some cannot see the value because of those who are busy talking against it. I know people who are greatly bothered by too much stuff. This factors in for some I know.

I think the time has passed to go out and try to convince people. Really, in the cities starting two years ago, everyone experienced fear, food lines, and food shortages. I saw it myself personally before we moved. If they didn't get it then, wouldn't expect them to now.
I don't really talk to people about it unless they bring it up to me first. I met a recently widowed woman, my age, last spring, at a dog park. We hang out there a few times a week. One time she mentioned to me that I should stockpile some food. She is someone I know I can talk to about it. In fact, she and I have gone to the LDS warehouse together and both made purchases. This is not something that we should necessarily talk to just anyone about, because if and when they are hungry, they will remember what we said.

My DIl raised 25 meat birds this past summer. I did everything I could to make it so she didn't have to do daily chores; bulk feed and water containers. She had bought wood working equipment and finally used it to build a nice chicken tractor at my suggestion.

She did well and butchered them herself but said never again. Now there is a chicken shortage and she is now patting herself on the back and hopes to raise another 25 next summer.

Because of the chickens, they needed to buy a freezer. I convinced them to buy a 24 cft and gave them half a cow for Christmas.

I am house sitting for them for six months and they have started prepping without knowing about it. They have given me a generous amount of spending money with no strings attached so I am filling up their sauna which they have never looked in for the past four years. It was full of cob webs. I snooped through her cupboards to see what her preferences are, and they are very prepper friendly. She uses lentils black beans and jasmine rice a lot.

I don't really talk to people about it unless they bring it up to me first. I met a recently widowed woman, my age, last spring, at a dog park. We hang out there a few times a week. One time she mentioned to me that I should stockpile some food. She is someone I know I can talk to about it. In fact, she and I have gone to the LDS warehouse together and both made purchases. This is not something that we should necessarily talk to just anyone about, because if and when they are hungry, they will remember what we said.
I finally convinced my parents they should "stock up" a little. They already did better than most, but have no idea the depth of all the BS. Then they were telling people they were stocking up. Had to tell them not to share that info. and explain why.

@Curmudgeon I think there are many young folks who really don't think there is an issue. You know, food will just appear :rolleyes:

When I look at the "prepping/survival" movement as it currently exists, and as it has existed for several decades........it is a horrific and sad disaster.

And "Internet Forums" are the single worst thing that happened to "prepping/survival".

And there is absolutely zero hope for change.

Many young people are used to eating out. You'd think they've noticed the hike in going out prices? Even fast food for our family of five is crazy priced.
I call these newbies Pandemic Preppers, and there's a ton of them on Youtube.
I have noticed this as well, living in and around a collage town most don’t cook, the eat out.
a lot of homeowner’s I work for , the wives don’t cook, don’t clean house , they either eat at the club house or the husband does all the cooking. When we got married I told my wife that she would get out of our marriage as much as she put into it so thing have always been give and take, she cooks I wash dishes, I cook she does them. We both work hard and neither should have to do it all, I for one don’t mind cooking or dishes and she don’t mind helping in the yard, 50%50

who voted for this brainless minion anyway?
ANSWER........Clueless, Brainless, Flaming Liberal, Morons. (And there are a lot of then)

Isn't this what we have been preaching for years? I guess Covid caused enough pain that people finally learned their lesson. Enough of the people who always thought "it can't/won't happen to me." finally had it happen to them, and guess what? It isn't any fun.

I can’t believe that anyone would listen to anything AOC says, who voted for this brainless minion anyway?
A computer algorithm.

I can’t believe that anyone would listen to anything AOC says, who voted for this brainless minion anyway?
ANSWER........Clueless, Brainless, Flaming Liberal, Morons. (And there are a lot of then)
I think it was a case of they had 16% voter turnout and she is the result. Why she is still there, I cannot fathom.

Latest posts

Back