Not Quite Eden By Machinist

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimm

Morbidly Inclined
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Attached is a PDF file of Machinist's story NOT Quite Eden.

For those not familiar with who Machinist is he was a member at Prepared Society who loved posting the stories he wrote. We all loved to read them. Sadly he passed away and all we have left are his stories. Lets keep his memory alive and share them with the world!

Attachments

• NOT Quite Eden PDF.pdf
    961.5 KB · Views: 235
I'm not even done with the first one and I'm hooked.

You answered the question I was going to ask before I could ask it. I'm happy that others think so highly of him and his stories that an effort is being made to share his efforts.

I have 2 more to post but one needs to be turned into a PDF and the other needs to be edited to reflect who the author is before I can post it. Both are taking a bit to do so I might not get them up until the weekend is over.

machinist was a good guy. He and I were on a board together when he finally logged off. I've been in touch with Mrs. Machinist and his daughter, too.
I think she knows of this place, maybe she will show up.

I'd love to edit his stories to reflect that they are his by putting his real name on the PDFs but only if they'd allow that.

Thanks for posting one of his story. Would love to be able to read them all.

I only have 4 of his stories. They are the ones he posted at PS. When he did I was trying to convert them all to PDF so they could be preserved in case PS died or disappeared. I slacked on the job and only got 2 done. I'm working on the other two. Making sure the format stays the same is taking some work.

Thanks for tagging me about this Angie!

Grimm I really appreciate your efforts sharing Dad’s work. His name is Jerry A. Conrad.

There are three more stories he never got posted. I am getting close on two of them. Be working on those again after the holidays. We have a really busy life and much to do so I have been working on it during cold weather!

I have someone editing the works for spelling and punctuation between paying jobs. We think we will get it all done eventually. When we get each one completed we will sure post them on all Dad’s forums!

Thank you all for your kind words about Dad. I still miss him more than words can say.

We worked together every day most of my life. That leaves a mighty big empty place. I am thankful for the many things he always had time to teach me. He made me wealthy in useful skills and knowledge.

Thank you for allowing us to share your father's stories.

Thanks for tagging me about this Angie!

Grimm I really appreciate your efforts sharing Dad’s work. His name is Jerry A. Conrad.

There are three more stories he never got posted. I am getting close on two of them. Be working on those again after the holidays. We have a really busy life and much to do so I have been working on it during cold weather!

I have someone editing the works for spelling and punctuation between paying jobs. We think we will get it all done eventually. When we get each one completed we will sure post them on all Dad’s forums!

Patience, I never had the privilege of meeting your dad in person, I only knew him through the forums but I appreciated his insights and his writing. My condolences on your loss (belated but I did not know who to offer them to).

We appreciate you making his writing available.

Last edited:
Patience, I never had the privilege of meeting your dad in person, I only knew him through the forums but I appreciated his neighs and his writing. My condolences on your loss (belated but I did not know who to offer them to).

We appreciate you making his writing available.

This mirrors my sentiment entirely. Thank you so much and I am sorry for your loss.

Wow. Thank you. Dad and I were planning to collect his stories and make them available to download as pdf files. You are saving me a LOT of time Grimm and I sure do apprecuate it!

We did not get enough time for that before we lost him. He wrote them in hopes others might take an interest in self-relience so your comment sure brings it home TMT Tactical!

Not sure where you found the stories but we posted with links to his works on PAW and there looks to be one more you may not have? Did he ever finish “Transitions”?

The following is copied from a facebook post Mom and I made not long after we lost Dad. He was beloved in our community and we sure were in caring company as we mourned.

Quoting my Mom here, she posted links some time ago:

Someone mentioned that they hadn’t seen the links to Jerry’s books online so I’m sending them again.

None of Jerry’s stories were edited in any way. He just typed them in and posted them. I would have fixed the typos and misspellings but he wasn’t interested in polishing them up.

These are links to Jerry’s stories:

http://pawfiction.proboards.com/thread/310/dirty-money

http://pawfiction.proboards.com/thread/410/bottom

http://pawfiction.proboards.com/thread/452/told-ya

http://pawfiction.proboards.com/thread/463/transitions

http://pawfiction.proboards.com/thread/519/quite-eden

The stories were posted on several forums.

Dad was quite an artist too.

I am posting a link to Dad's artwork again. Like to have some prints done for family and friends sometime before we die. We might set up to do framing at some point. Thinking about donating much of the work to a local art group eventually if there is any interest.

Sorry, the art work is spread over at least a couple pages, this and the one that follow. Fair warning, the thread these are posted in covers the hardest years of our lives. Welcome to read it but it is not always easy or fun.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/vb/showthread.php?t=33379&page=30

When the photobucket debacle hits me the pictures won’t be displayed:( Trying to figure out what to do with 10+ years of technical posts and tutorials before my time runs out. But that is another story.

See if the links work after I post this.

Last edited:
The links all work for me. Looks like he did finish “Transitions”. It is pretty fuzzy looking back now, but I remember Dad working hard to finish incomplete works. He was not really satisfied with his results but felt it was better than leaving them incomplete.

I have ALWAYS used “Patience” but Dad and I shared accounts on forums all over the internet. Well. He shared my accounts when he FINALLY took an interest in the internet and I encouraged him to do so. I knew he had much to contribute so I never quibbled about him using “Patience” but it gets confusing sometimes.

Dad started using “Machinist” much later. Even I have to read through some of our old technical posts, and think on it to figure out which one of us wrote them sometimes. Often we said which of us was writing a post but we both forgot a lot too... And often we wrote them together, which further complicates matters.

When Dad used “Patience” to open an account online he also used my password. I do try not to log in as him and freak people out.

Rambling now. I will stop.

I just finished this work and WOW! amazing story line and depth of characters. Oh sure some errors and issues here and there but for Machinist to have just sat down and poured it out without edit, totally amazing. Sad to hear he's gone from us but happy to see his works live on and I look forward to reading some of his others I see mentioned here. I just hope the links still are up and work.

Just finished rereading Transitions by Machinist. Always enjoyable. Can't decide which one to read next :)

Latest posts

Back