Notebooks

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacpacker

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Neb made mention of a notebook he keeps handy. And it made me thing we should get a thread going about them. What we use them for. How we use them, set them up. What kind we use maybe. I'm sure others will come up with some more ideas.
Anyway, here's a start. Ill add more later, too hard to do much from the phone.

My Dad carried a notebook and Parker pen in his shirt pocked all the time.
He wrote down things he needed to remember. Measurements, phone numbers, reminders, shopping lists for the hardware store or lumber yard. I recently found one of his old notebooks and it was interesting to try to decipher what he was trying to remember. He used Oklahoma code. Spell it like it sounds.
When he passed away the funeral home said we could add something in his casket.
I put his notebook and pen in his shirt pocket and his Stanly 30' tape measure on his belt.
Months later I needed a tape measure and Mom reminded me that Dad had it.
I said he didn't have to take the good one.
I don't carry a notebook or pen I use my phone.
I carry enough stuff already.
I would just sit a notebook down and forget where it was.

I often times start a new notebook when I begin a new area. Like when I got my long range rifle - I wanted to keep track of all my range visits, weather conditions, how I was shooting, etc. And when I started reloading - how I loaded things, how they performed, the accuracy, and things like that. And then when I was trying to learn ukulele. Gotta have a record of every chord I learned, helpful tips from what I learned, blah, blah, blah.

Each notebook has about the first three pages used, then it goes blank after that. :(

I used to use "engineering journals". I don't know the real name for those. But they are bound books of note paper and the pages don't easily tear out. I guess that's the whole point. So you have a permanent record of the things you did and the results. Those notebooks suck. Because they are quite expensive, especially when you only use the first three pages of each one.

So after a while I moved to three ring binders. Those work better for me because you can delete, add, and rearrange sheets as you see fit. A perfect medium for the scatter-brained like myself. But three ring binders are large. You can get small cute little binders, but those cost more and finding the proper paper inserts for them can be challenging. All in all, not really worth it for only three pages of use.

So now I just do things in a note taking app on my phone. The app was free, and you can very easily delete those three page startups that are cluttering up the view.

But taking notes on a smartphone is a chore. I suck at those "on screen" fake keyboards. So mostly these days I just take pictures of things I want to remember with the smartphones camera. Then I spend a few hours searching through thousands of random and unrelated photos crammed together in the picture app on the phone every time I need to find something.

So mostly these days I just take pictures of things I want to remember with the smartphones camera.
I do that also. Then months later I'll see the picture and wonder what it is and why I took the picture.
Especially pictures of serial numbers and things like that.

I have a few notebooks. I mostly use composition notebooks, but I have others and have used others.

I have one that is for tracking my bible reading, prayers and studies.

I had one that I kept track of all of my appointments and payments from my dog, house and cat sitting. I filled it up and could never find one to replace it that I liked. Instead, I used a small pocket calendar now.

I have one for my house projects. I have had many work projects on my house. I take a room and spend time there, painting, upgrading, replacing, etc. I keep a list of what I want or need to do and then I can see what I have finished as well.

For many years I have done the same with crafting projects and goals. I organize them by types of projects and I try to prioritize them by the ones I want to finish first.

I have one for my preparedness information. I keep track of supplies and keep lists of goals.

I worked with a woman who traveled a lot. She made a notebook for each of her trips. She journaled, and would cut and paste brochures, etc. that she picked up on her travels. They made nice memories for her. Daughter spent a month in Europe this past summer. I had a few composition notebooks and asked her if she wanted one to journal in during her travels. She did. Since she was a writing major in h. s., one of the requirements for her major was to journal every day. She did.

Daughter and I used to keep a notebook in the bathroom and we would write to each other in it. Sometimes life was so busy that this was a way to communicate our wishes. I still have them.

Hubby carries one of those little spiral ones in his shirt pocket for measurements and such things.
I don't carry a notebook, but I do keep a canning journal w/ the cookbooks.
I also keep two 3-ring binders: 1 labeled Flora and 1 Fauna. In flora I keep various articles, printouts, tips, recipes etc. pertaining to plants. Fauna is the same but for animals.

I often times start a new notebook when I begin a new area. Like when I got my long range rifle - I wanted to keep track of all my range visits, weather conditions, how I was shooting, etc. And when I started reloading - how I loaded things, how they performed, the accuracy, and things like that. And then when I was trying to learn ukulele. Gotta have a record of every chord I learned, helpful tips from what I learned, blah, blah, blah.

Each notebook has about the first three pages used, then it goes blank after that. :(

I used to use "engineering journals". I don't know the real name for those. But they are bound books of note paper and the pages don't easily tear out. I guess that's the whole point. So you have a permanent record of the things you did and the results. Those notebooks suck. Because they are quite expensive, especially when you only use the first three pages of each one.

So after a while I moved to three ring binders. Those work better for me because you can delete, add, and rearrange sheets as you see fit. A perfect medium for the scatter-brained like myself. But three ring binders are large. You can get small cute little binders, but those cost more and finding the proper paper inserts for them can be challenging. All in all, not really worth it for only three pages of use.

So now I just do things in a note taking app on my phone. The app was free, and you can very easily delete those three page startups that are cluttering up the view.

But taking notes on a smartphone is a chore. I suck at those "on screen" fake keyboards. So mostly these days I just take pictures of things I want to remember with the smartphones camera. Then I spend a few hours searching through thousands of random and unrelated photos crammed together in the picture app on the phone every time I need to find something.
Those are log books often with numbered pages. Some have carbon paper built in. I used those while I worked in the physics labs at Pitt since I was required to surrender the log when I left. I kept the copies for my own records.

I still have all of my logs dating back to the late 80s.

While I carry a pocker notebook for anything that needs recorded. I also keep logs for various topics. I log the temp in my greenhouse over winter.

20231130_154115_HDR.jpg

From that log I learned if the overnight low is -4degrees, I need to bring the coffee bush inside the house or I will kill (again!).

Designs ideas in log books. This one is design for 3 water heaters I plumbed in last year.

20231130_184830.jpg

Lab notes ( note Polaroid images of scope)

20231130_184941.jpg

Notes on my ideas on AI back in the 80s

20231130_185331.jpg

Garden notes

20231130_185449.jpg

Single mode optical fibers

20231130_185613.jpg

Device to measure the speed of gravity

20231130_185858.jpg

And the best of them all is my log of paying off every last penny and becoming Debt Free!

20231130_190355.jpg

Ben

I have a few notebooks, steno pads, 3 ring binders. a lot of times it's a note on my phone so i can copy to the appropriate notebook later. Lori and I also share a google calendar and spreadsheet with stuff in it.

The "end game" binder has info for Lori on who to contact for the resale/disposal of various items, wills, living will, power of attorney, etc.

notes on the phone are furnace filter size, door combo, etc.

I have 6 or 7 current/active use notebooks, journals, a planner, spiral bound smaller notebooks. I tried using one of those little tiny pocket memo pads, spiral bound, pages got messed up badly on it so I stick to using my phone when I don't have paper and pen handy. There's a "notepad" on my phone. I have quite a few notebooks packed away.
I use my notebooks and journals for planning (gardening), taking notes during the courses I'm taking (camera stuff), more planning (time away), planning (budgeting), rambling thoughts of crazy person (me), prep planning lists, and many other odds and ends. Notes I take during scripture study (yeah, I do); time lines, calendars (tracking moon cycles), notes studying anything else I study (astronomy, perennials, native grasses, trees, diet, various ailments and what foods to eat or not eat, herbs, herbal medicine, family history, history specific to my area, real estate market in various areas to name just a few).
There's a lot to keep track of and I find that when i write things down it is not necessarily for future reference so much as it helps me to remember what I've read. Talking to others about what we've read can help us remember and put it into action also.
I found an unusual notebook that has plain paper, graph paper and horizontal lined paper in it, 8 1/2 x 11, cloth cover.
I've studied and read about livestock, still don't have any, but I know more than I did. I have a lot of other interests.

Wow some good stuff in here so far.
I've kept a garden journal since we bought our property. But I haven't kept up thru the years. Usually planting info goes in, but by the time harvest and all comes in I'm so busy I never get to it.
At work I had tried keeping a running list of tasks, but with extra stuff getting piled on the last few years I tried to shift to the puter. I did better with the notebooks.
Anyway I've gotten some different styles to try and find one that fits my needs. I'm finding I'll be doing different books for different things. I watched a bunch of utube videos on various things to do. Ran across one guy that kind of broke down things in a way that made sense. Different books for different things. Different ways of doing the different things. Some definitions rang a bell
Diary: daily list of things you did
Journal: Thoughts, ideas, plans on things to do or flesh out if you will
Compendium: How things are done on one topic
Common Place Book: A place to store quotes, methods, others ideas. These can take many forms and can be as varied as want or need dictates. Or as narrow and focused as you want. Originated with Marcus Arillious and Cicero ran with it.
Miscellanies: I had never heard of this before. But ran across a preacher that discussed the use of these By Jonathon Edwards, a 18th century preacher. I've been looking into a way to keep a good bible study and this one made some sense to me. But this style could be used for many things.
All of these are just a overall look at them. All could be modified and used as needed.
One thing I can see already is to have something on me all the time to jot notes thru the day and week. Then move whatever is there and needed in the future into a more permanent book with a good table of contents to make a given topic easy to find.
I'm sure I'm way overboard, but I just feel like I need to do a better job staying organized and to be able to find something when I need it.

Last edited:
I keep a different notebook for things like my photography studies, that one is nearly full and unfortunately I've started writing in another one that has other stuff in it because one day I couldn't find the right journal.
The spiral bound notebooks (journals) I'm referring to aren't the ones from junior high. The wiring is very sturdy and thick, it is more like a journal and has a thick cover front and back with a colorful design, has smaller pages that are lined. Doesn't have as many pages as I would like, can pick them up at craft stores, department stores. Some of them have a waterproof-like cover.

I have some Rite in the Rain books, some very small, 48 pages IIRC. Perfect for a shirt pocket, or cargo pants pocket. Some of my better ones are more of a hardbound. They will be the permanent ones. I've also got a Travelers notebook, leather cover and you can swap out the notebooks as you fill them. Still sorting out what I like best.

Now if I can learn to write where I can read it!!!! 3d grade teacher told me I should have been a Dr

Those are log books often with numbered pages. Some have carbon paper built in. I used those while I worked in the physics labs at Pitt since I was required to surrender the log when I left. I kept the copies for my own records.

I still have all of my logs dating back to the late 80s.

While I carry a pocker notebook for anything that needs recorded. I also keep logs for various topics. I log the temp in my greenhouse over winter.

View attachment 120552

From that log I learned if the overnight low is -4degrees, I need to bring the coffee bush inside the house or I will kill (again!).

Designs ideas in log books. This one is design for 3 water heaters I plumbed in last year.

View attachment 120553

Lab notes ( note Polaroid images of scope)

View attachment 120556

Notes on my ideas on AI back in the 80s

View attachment 120558

Garden notes

View attachment 120559

Single mode optical fibers

View attachment 120560

Device to measure the speed of gravity

View attachment 120561

And the best of them all is my log of paying off every last penny and becoming Debt Free!

View attachment 120562

Ben

Neb

I was hoping you'd show some pics of some of your work. Gives me a few ideas, although what I do is radically different.

Reading the above reminded me: I also have two notebooks for home finances- 1 is for the bulk of info and categorizing, the other is a small one for the category totals. I can go back to a specific month/year and tell you what we spent on fuel or groceries or whatever.
Also, it dawned on me I just bought 3 notebooks at the dollar store I want to cover and give as gifts to my nieces.
Now I’m guessing I have more but will have to think.

Wow...maybe I should use a notebook. I never have. The closest I come to a notebook is an index card. I start my day with at least one...To do's are listed on there, as well as what husband wants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner that day. I list things I need to bring up from the basement pantry...things to remember. It gets put in my apron pocket with my cell phone in case husband needs something and I'm out of yelling range, which is often. I crossed off everything but one thing today, so not too bad.

Long ago I started with a right in the rain pocket size for when I started working on trails and natural resource type work with crews. I look at them now n then just to recall good times.
I have a bunch of different notepads , books, binders. A few journals I havent used in years and actually a few days ago it became clear I need to go through n organize all my notebooks.
I have one I use daily..like to do list, to get list, to look up list.

I have always been "old school" and had to be dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming. Old Chinese proverb: The weakest pen is stronger than the strongest memory. I will call them notbooks, but as others have said 3 ring binders that are easier to make additions and deletions. The plastic shhet protectors are a blessing. I keep one dedicated to prepping.

We keep a couple notebooks here to write our to-do lists on. When we finish a project we cross it off. Every winter we start listing our building projects for the upcoming spring and summer.
Years ago when I had my sawmill I kept a notebook to list the lumber I cut each day, species, sizes of boards & board feet per board, customers name etc.

I used to keep a gardening journal. Eerily it was just like my great grandmother's gardening journal except she put personal stuff in hers.

Nowadays I keep notebooks with health info for my brother and me. It has come in handy several times. I can give them average bp and oxygen levels. Or I can tell them exactly what they told us on our last visit.

I had to look this thread up today. On the first page of my composition book it says: Angie's book of random S$#t. I just added some notes to it that I took on a YT video about hacks for keeping a level blood sugar. Much of it was not new information to me, but I feel like when I take notes I'm better at retaining the information even if I don't refer back to it. I have a few sheets of paper with random things or thoughts floating around and now I'm writing those in my book and throwing away the papers. It feels like a much better way of keeping my thoughts organized. Thanks Ben for the idea, even if I don't have pretty drawings like you do. 😉

I also have a composition notebook for mushroom season. It looks like this year is going to be an early one, which is not typically very good for the morels. I keep drawings in that book so that we can find our hot spots from previous years. The only problem with that is that the state keeps cutting in our spots, so the landscape is completely changed.:mad: We noticed trees marked in there last year too, so I'm sure it's not going to look very good this spring either. If not for the GPS, the drawings wouldn't do much good.

Anyways, I make notes in there when we go, what the weather was like, how many we found, where we found them, how the bugs were, and anything else that was notable. It's really just for my own reference, but someday it might be a valuable book for someone who wants to find morels in our area. I started it in 2014. 2015 was our best season with over 45 #'s of mushrooms. I actually sold some to a restaurant that year. Last year (2023) was the worst with less than a pound.

I'm A writer too. I keep three journals: 1)farm operations 2)farm equipment 3) random thoughts and inspirations.

It helps organize thoughts and ideas. And remembering details just from having written them down?

Although sometimes I remember writing it down, but must look it up because it was long ago? But at the least, it prevents your future self from repeating the same mistakes as your past self so that you can rack up an impressive amount of novel mistakes!

Notebooks or binders? Notebooks are where we take notes? Binders are where we organize loose leaf papers? Maybe I am writing about the wrong thing here.

I have lots of notes that I have gathered here and there, printed out, and organized in binders. I have garden binders.

While going through my piles of papers, I came across some printed sheets about wills, power of attorney, etc. I realize I need to get all of my papers for the day when daughter needs to take care of me and my death and put all of it together in a 3 ring binder.

Neb

I was hoping you'd show some pics of some of your work. Gives me a few ideas, although what I do is radically different.
I have a suitcase full of notebooks, full of drawings of things I invented, that looks like Neb's.
Today, I only have a small spiral-bound notebook with my usernames and passwords for websites, and a few mailing addresses.
I longed for the simple life, and achieved it. :D :thumbs:

I've a good few notebooks on the go, in various places. Always keep one in my bag, and several on my desk and next to my bed. If I write something down, I normally remember it without needing the notebook. Themes are usually shopping lists, things I want (or want husband) to do before a certain date- and stupid things I want to remember/ ask someone, like a book I want to read. I have a gardening one, several for my own writing and essays for college, and one for photography and art.
I also save up used paper and clip it together to make 'throwaway' notebooks which I use to leave notes for the family etc.

Latest posts

Back