Nothing really new, but for your consideration.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dademoss

What I specialized in is oboslete
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Doug MacKinnon: Will you survive the coming blackout?

There are many never-ending debates between Republicans and Democrats. Impeach vs. don’t impeach; capital punishment vs. life in prison; wall vs. no wall; legalizing marijuana vs. not; self-driving cars vs. human drivers; Red Sox vs. Yankees; takeout vs. home-cooked; or Gone With the Wind vs. any other movie.

All of these issues are stunningly important, right up to the second where cataclysm falls and creates a nightmare scenario that so many fear.

That cataclysm is a complete loss of electricity and every mode of convenience and survival we take for granted....

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/doug-mackinnon-survive-coming-blackout

Meanwhile, it seems like most people think it's no big problem because the government will solve all the problems, just throw money at an issue until it's been taken care of, our monetary policies have ran this way since the founding of the Federal Reserve, it's called "Keynesian Economics" and it does have a dead end and it's a very good reason to do preps and be out of the cities if at all possible. What's coming is going to be a bad ride, taking care of the immediate family may be a tough thing to do in itself.

What if you could locally produce power? You wouldn't have access to community water or sewer but it would make life easier in the home.

I am researching power alternatives that are HEMP resistant. That means they can't use semiconductors / electronics at all.
The photo-voltaics that we have at the cabin along with the charge controller and inverter are all sensitive to an HEMP.
The small stand-by generators are nearly immune to HEMP but without fuel they are worthless. The two technologies I am looking into are the magnetic generator and the motionless generator. They are not new tech but they are "protected" tech. I have plans for a Sterling engine generator but it won't make a lot of power. I would have to use multiple units. The Sterling engine has been used to pump water si it could be used for a well pump.
These are just some examples for folks to ponder.

What if you could locally produce power? You wouldn't have access to community water or sewer but it would make life easier in the home.

If you have a fast running, deep stream, on your property, a water turbine generator can't be beat! Next best...solar...once you get past the initial cost of the unit(s), it all gravy. In some areas, geothermal power is also a possibility, if you can afford the deep well.

Sol-Ark solar products are supposed to be EMP resistant.
https://www.sol-ark.com/

EMP resistant as long as it is a solar EMP. Solar EMP won't affect electronics of any kind unless they are hit by the power surge, which is unlikely if not impossible.
HEMP will burn the electronics out in less than a nanosecond. It will burn the junctions on solar cells, transistors, IC chips and most any semiconductor.
Solar panels won't be affected by solar EMP but each cell can only have up to 1/2 volt drop in the forward direction and up to 200 volts in the reverse direction. The E1 pulse of an HEMP is 50000 volts so the panels will likely be good only as stained glass, The charge controllers and inverters will also be useless after an HEMP. This goes for any electronic controls for generators and regulators.
Even electronics that are sitting on the shelf not in use will be fried. The only way to protect them is with three or more layers of capacitive sink around them.

Latest posts

Back