Nutrition to make exercise easier - what works for you?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Since I've started exercising again I've become curious as to the effect of diet on endurance and energy. I haven't noticed that much difference in my ability to exercise, dependent on what I eat - unless, of course, I eat absolute garbage like Burger King. Do any of you have specific things you eat that help/hurt your performance? Low fat? Low carb? High protein? Lots of whole grain carbs? Just looking for some real world info...

I find I have more energy and better endurance restricting carbs to close to zero. That's what the KETO diet does. Meat, eggs and fish is great and any low carb veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and spinach. I eat salads with my meals too. No beans, rice, pasta, potatoes or bread although once in a great while I will indulge in a slice of sourdough.

@Spikedriver I just eat a good balanced diet of a little meat and lots of vegetables being beans, silverbeet, sweet potato and lots of fruit and I like kiwi fruit and avocado which is a meal in itself really.

I try and keep away from a lot of red meat as it is high in cholesterol and limit junk foods (fried foods and takeaway) as I have high cholesterol (going down) and apparently an underactive thyroid (the cause of the high cholesterol).

@Spikedriver I just eat a good balanced diet of a little meat and lots of vegetables being beans, silverbeet, sweet potato and lots of fruit and I like kiwi fruit and avocado which is a meal in itself really.

I try and keep away from a lot of red meat as it is high in cholesterol and limit junk foods (fried foods and takeaway) as I have high cholesterol (going down) and apparently an underactive thyroid (the cause of the high cholesterol).
@Sewingcreations15 that sounds like a nice balanced diet, but do you notice a positive (or negative) effect on your energy and/or endurance?

@Spikedriver I find I have more energy than when I was eating more meat. I also incorporate nuts into my diet such as walnuts, almonds, a few macadamia nuts etc and dried fruits (in moderation).

If you look on sites that have recommended daily serving sizes for adults and follow that you can't go far wrong. Of course if you are very active or have a very physical job you will have to up your intake from the recommendations.

We are very physically active here just doing work on the property and we both do a lot of walking. For instance we both just finished leveling out 10 cubic metres of soil on our back boundary and we go and cut our own firewood for winter and load, unload and split it too. Here we don't need to join a gym the work on the property is our gym and I am starting to get footballers legs and muscles :eek: .

Here is what the Australian government recommends for serving sizes and amounts for males and females - https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/foo...eed-each-day/recommended-number-serves-adults .

Last summer I spent several weeks not eating pasta, potatoes, flour products (no breads, tortillas, pastries, desserts), no junk food, cut back on sugars and actually hit my desired weight, for one day.
I think I'd like to try that again.
My biggest struggle is a screwy work schedule and meal planning.

Food is fuel, and thus food is energy. If you eat junk food, processed food, artificial food, too much food, flour, sugar, etc. then you are getting bad fuel. If you eat protein, healthy fats, vegetables, nuts, and low sugar fruits you will find not only substantially more energy, but more consistent energy. All cravings, appetite, energy highs, and energy lows come from hormonal responses. Such as your blood sugar going up and down all day. This is why I eat dinner nightly and at pretty much the same time, but I never eat breakfast and only eat lunch from time to time. I sleep well at night, have very little to no cravings or appetite, and am energetic all day. Periods of fasting also help control blood sugar and elevate natural levels of testosterone and human growth hormone. Which improve exercise performance and results. So I will eat dinner then fast until the the next day around 10am when I work out. On those days I will then eat a protein heavy lunch. On days I don't lift weights, I skip lunch or just have a salad.

Since I've started exercising again I've become curious as to the effect of diet on endurance and energy. I haven't noticed that much difference in my ability to exercise, dependent on what I eat - unless, of course, I eat absolute garbage like Burger King. Do any of you have specific things you eat that help/hurt your performance? Low fat? Low carb? High protein? Lots of whole grain carbs? Just looking for some real world info...
I have to have complex carbs an hour and a half before I work out and protein after the workout. Food does make a huge difference in what you can lift and how you feel during your workout.

I typically exercise in the late afternoon and find that I get a better workout in if I have fasted that day. So, now if I haven't eaten anything before I get home, I make sure to get my workout in before I eat anything. If I eat anything (even if it's just a snack, especially carbs) before working out, I'm not as energized. Working out on an empty stomach works for me.

I've also read that working out while fasted helps to pull that energy from fat stores instead of using the glycogen in the bloodstream, thereby making that workout more effective at weight loss.

Low sugar or no sugar, low sodium or no salt, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, 4 to 6 ounces of meat every other meal usually works for me. I eat pasta, rice but very little. Usually a 1/4 cup of any kind of pasta, rice made up into serving size portions for me works best for me. Also I mainly cook from scratch, if I want bread, I have to make it, then it's divided into meal portion sizes for me too. Cause I could go hog wild for bread easily. I eat lots of soups, stir fry's very little oil in stir fry though. I also exercise mid morning usually.

I typically exercise in the late afternoon and find that I get a better workout in if I have fasted that day. So, now if I haven't eaten anything before I get home, I make sure to get my workout in before I eat anything. If I eat anything (even if it's just a snack, especially carbs) before working out, I'm not as energized. Working out on an empty stomach works for me.

I've also read that working out while fasted helps to pull that energy from fat stores instead of using the glycogen in the bloodstream, thereby making that workout more effective at weight loss.

I walk first thing in the mornings. Maybe one cup of coffee, maybe not. I didn't realize that I was making it work better for me!

Low sugar or no sugar, low sodium or no salt, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, 4 to 6 ounces of meat every other meal usually works for me. I eat pasta, rice but very little. Usually a 1/4 cup of any kind of pasta, rice made up into serving size portions for me works best for me. Also I mainly cook from scratch, if I want bread, I have to make it, then it's divided into meal portion sizes for me too. Cause I could go hog wild for bread easily. I eat lots of soups, stir fry's very little oil in stir fry though. I also exercise mid morning usually.
But Strawberry is walked at 0600 hours, with the dog walker.
Then I walk her 4 or 5 times more a day.
We walk up inclines, down inclines all kind of roads, all kinds of weather.
I'm 39 pounds away from my low end of my Army weight.
Which I think is pretty good for an "Old" Army Broad.

Pretty good? I am darn proud of you!
I'm thinking about a waltz or two when you feel up to it - How about we start with "Waltz across Texas" and finish with " Save the Last Dance for me"? I promise my wife will not be jealous.

I find that I have my best workouts an hour or two after eating. And I'm not worth a crap for 2 or 3 hours after I wake up. I'm lucky to remember to put pants on after I wake up. After 10 am is best for me...
After 0930 am is lunch time for me.
But I get up at 0530 hours too.
Breakfast usually consists of 1 waffle, 1 piece of fresh fruit,2 (16 oz)glasses of lemon water,coffee.
And I'm full.
Lunch might be: 4 ounces of tuna, 1 tortilla,2 slices of tomatoes,2 ounces of shredded cheese.
2 (16 oz) lemon water, coffee.
Supper: 3 oz of spaghetti, 1/4 cup of homemade spaghetti sauce, garden salad,1 orange, coffee.
I walk pretty much all the time.

Latest posts

Back