Oak Tree Information

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I used this website sometimes when I was learning medicinal plants. I didn’t check it often. Tonight I was searching for tannin content of oak trees, checked this site and found they’d changed a great deal, it’s seems much better, more informative. But I haven't had time to really check out how accurate this info is.

This is the list of oak tree species. Not all are in the US but many are. Properties of oaks vary greatly species to species, especially tannic acid content. On the right end of the chart they have “Edibility” rating for each species. Not sure of all the criteria but its a place to start and that column is a reflection of the tannin content. The higher the tannin, the more work to remove from acorns… thus a lower rating number.

Some oaks have less tannin's than others making them more desirable as food, less work. I've read that the usefulness of acorn's varied among native tribes, now it makes sense. If your neighborhood has crappy acorns you wouldn't use them unless you were hungry. I've read some tribes considered it starvation food.

I have no idea why they give a 2 rating to all oaks for medicinal qualities. Oaks most certainly vary in medicinal usefulness. One in particular, white oak. Tincture from the inner bark is the best astringent out there (drying). It's added to dozens of kinds of herbal medicines. For instance, I’d add it to a cold or flu formula, it’d help dry sinuses. It's good medicine.

Anyway, here’s the chart. and the link Quercus chrysolepis Live Oak, Canyon live oak PFAF Plant Database

Edit to add... There are 75 or so species of Oaks in the lower 48

Oaks Tannins 01.jpg
Oaks Tannins 02.jpg
Oaks Tannins 03.jpg

Last edited:
I have a large white oak tree in the yard here in E.. Tennessee. Don't know what kind, but the acorns are large. The tannin is low to non existent, as far as I can tell. Anyway, I can crack them open and eat them without any soaking. I did process them one year and ground them down and just to be on the safe side I soaked them first.

I have a large white oak tree in the yard here in E.. Tennessee. Don't know what kind, but the acorns are large. The tannin is low to non existent, as far as I can tell. Anyway, I can crack them open and eat them without any soaking. I did process them one year and ground them down and just to be on the safe side I soaked them first.
Maybe a burr oak? We have two, acorns can get bigger than golf balls!

Unripe friut is high in tannins... like unripe Persimmons. Everyone has heard stories of green persimmons.

The easy way to check acorns is crack one open and stick your tongue to it. If it's anything like a green persimmon then it's loaded with tannins. If there is no bitterness, mild tasting then the tannin content is low.

Finding this information sort of made me chuckle... All the foraging books I have list acorns as edible. None of the books, not one, take into account the properties of individual oak species. Which clearly makes some acorns more edible than others (as a reflection of prep time, work = food).

New books should take this into account.

Last edited:
Maybe a burr oak? We have two, acorns can get bigger than golf balls!
They are so cool looking. I've noticed some planted on the little green patches of parking lots. In the fall you can gather them for whatever. They vary in size and appearance. Some of the burr oak acorns are very shaggy and quite large.
Hey there @hiwall

Indeed, white oak ashes mixed with the animal's brain as a mush applied to the skin side, then scraped and softened by sawing on a pole. the Indians used it.

A tincture of white or red oak applied to boils dries them up almost while you watch!

You have to think the guy who ate the first shrimp was used to grubs too. ICK!:eek:

Out hear in S.W. Oregon we have many types of oak but the Chinquapin does not look like oak wood, it make beautiful furniture which has a coloration much like black walnut wood, the nuts are covered with long spikes that make the nuts hard to get at but they really taste great, if you can get them before the squirrels eat them. The neighbor who used to live on our east side made kitchen cabinets out of the wood. Over the years that we have lived here, we just don't see Chinquapin like we used to, I believe a large amount has been cut down for firewood. With the process that one has to go through for getting the tannin out of the acorns, the native Americans had good reason to call them survival food.

White oak?

White Oak is a VERY sellable item to Moonshiners
You take a 1/2'' x 6'' piece and char it
put it in a gallon jug of Stump water, It turns the color of light Amber and gives it a very mellow Smokey flavor
ER..AH...Not saying i make Stump water or anything but I would like a small USPS flat rate box of kindling LOL

Latest posts

Back