Ocean Waves quilts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalicoKatie

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Thought I'd share this info about Ocean Wave quilts since I was talking about them with another group.
1642352331514.png

For years when I looked at these quilts my first response was no! absolutely not. Just the idea of making a gazillion and three HSTs practically made me take to my bed. lol All the rotary cutting and strip piecing of these last decades have made patterns like this more of a possibility. I'm 99.9% certain that I would never have made so many Lone Star quilts if it weren't for strip piecing.

I think this was one of those patterns that just appeared. Most likely it was the product of a woman who wanted a pleasing arrangement for a big pile of scraps. Barbara Brackman says it became popular about 1875.

Ocean Wave: Category Five

Another thing that discouraged me in the past was the setting of all those triangles into oblong blocks around a center square. That meant mitering the pieced sides together and all the bias cuts of scraps in an Ocean Wave made it fussier than I wanted to deal with. That isn't an issue if you make a square block to begin with. It just means you have seams across that center square. Q is for Quilter has a beautiful scrappy OW using traditional piecing. I pulled up a couple of tutorials showing how to make the simpler square blocks.

Ocean Waves Quilt Top

Ocean Waves Quilt Pattern – Quilt For Lovers

Classic and Vintage Series: Ocean Waves

My favorite is the Canning Season sewalong from Hazel's Diary. She breaks it down to smaller blocks.

Canning Season: Section Tutorial

Canning Season: Assembling Blocks

Canning Season: Layout and Setting Instructions

Canning Season: Adding Borders

She's using 2" finished HSTs in hers but larger HSTs would mean bigger and fewer blocks.

blockpairs

She set hers on point but you could just set the blocks square. Since I've finally pulled out my Triangles on a Roll, I've also put this quilt on my list of potential future UFOs. :D Has anybody here made an Ocean Waves quilt?

Thought I'd share this info about Ocean Wave quilts since I was talking about them with another group.

She set hers on point but you could just set the blocks square. Since I've finally pulled out my Triangles on a Roll, I've also put this quilt on my list of potential future UFOs. :D Has anybody here made an Ocean Waves quilt?
I have not made one, but since I love making HSTs (now that I've learned about triangles on a roll!), it might be a fun one to try! Thanks for sharing the pics and instructions!

Right now, I am working on two quilts. The first one is for my nephew who leaves for Navy OCS in a couple of weeks. It is called Labyrinth. I'm doing it muted shades of khaki, navy, and maroon.
1642437532484.png

The second is an applique quilt called All American by American Jane. I'm a member of a quilting group called the Patriotic Piecers. We make and gift quilts to local military, vets, and first responders. We're supposed to be doing it as a group to be our raffle quilt for the year- this helps us raise the money for supplies like backing and batting for the quilts we make and donate. I hope that we can have this quilt done by early summer so we have a few months to sell raffle tickets, but unless a few more people step in and start stitching, it may take a little longer!
1642438427527.png

I have not made one, but since I love making HSTs (now that I've learned about triangles on a roll!), it might be a fun one to try! Thanks for sharing the pics and instructions . . .

Your nephew is going to love his quilt and the All American quilt is a real stunner. :)

The Ocean Wave is appealing to me because it's perfect for using up all the small scraps that have accumulated through the years. I figure I'll just start making those blocks as shown in the Canning Season sewalong and stack them up until I have enough to make a top. I have five yards of a pale yellow solid cotton I got on sale from Joann's to use for my background. Those 40% off coupons apply to one cut regardless of how many yards it is.

It will be a great quilt for one of my grandsons.

Sounds like a plan to me. I have a couple of things I'm finishing up right now so I doubt if I make a start for a couple of weeks. I'm iffy about what size I want to make but I'm leaning towards making my HSTs 3" finished size. Using the Canning Season sewalong, that would make my blocks 18" and I could get away with only making 20 of them. When I'm ready to start sewing, I'll finally figure it out. :dunno:

LOL! I made 112 2" HSTs last night. I'm making a Marine quilt for my Patriotic Piecer's group and I'm putting a sawtooth border on it. I fussy-cut a few marine emblems and patches, and all of it is surrounding a panel I bought of a marine. Most of the "girls" in the group do patriotic themed quilts, but I really like doing branch-specific quilts. I have an air force top I just finished, and need to quilt.
air force quilt.jpg

The backing is all dog tags that say stuff like Air Force, honor, courage, etc.

I finished my Marine quilt topper last night and used almost all of the HSTs I'm really pleased with the way it came out. I plan to use digicam (digital camouflage) for the backing.View attachment 79274

Beautiful work, Doc. You can be very proud, and I'm sure the recipient will be thrilled. I would be.

I found this free pattern for a giant star made from HSTs so it's now on my to-do list. There's a tutorial for making 8 HSTs at a time to speed things up. The finished size of the quilt as shown is 64" so it could easily be enlarged to a queen size with some borders. Towards the bottom of the page are pictures of quilts made in different colors. Can't you just see that made up with red or multicolor scraps?

Every time I look at this, it moves a little higher on my list because it would be perfect and fast to make for my grandsons. You have to sign up for her newsletter to get the pattern.

https://www.diaryofaquilter.com/free-pattern-half-square-triangle-star-quilt

I found this free pattern for a giant star made from HSTs so it's now on my to-do list. There's a tutorial for making 8 HSTs at a time to speed things up. The finished size of the quilt as shown is 64" so it could easily be enlarged to a queen size with some borders. Towards the bottom of the page are pictures of quilts made in different colors. Can't you just see that made up with red or multicolor scraps?

Every time I look at this, it moves a little higher on my list because it would be perfect and fast to make for my grandsons. You have to sign up for her newsletter to get the pattern.

https://www.diaryofaquilter.com/free-pattern-half-square-triangle-star-quilt
Oh, I love the multicolored star quilt at the bottom of the page! I have a whole rack of multicolored scraps that would be perfect to use for that quilt! Thanks for sharing that! I think I have enough quilts on my "Gotta Make" list to keep me busy for the next twenty years or so, but this one will have to be near the top of the list!! 😃

One of my grandsons got married last month and I think this will make a good wedding quilt for him. They had originally planned to get married in July and I thought I had plenty of time so got caught empty handed. If I put a row of sawtooth stars across the top and bottom then add borders, I can make it fit a queen size bed. I just need to have it done by the first of May when I go down there and this one will make up fast.

Back