Off grid laundry

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Supervisor42 Impressed that the shirts in the pix are hung properly. Cracks me up when I see shirts hung from the shoulders.
Yeah, I definitely remember wearing shirts to school that had "devil's-horns" on the shoulders👿. :(

We didn't have clothes lines in the basement, they were all outside. I have thought more than once that having lines in the basement would have been wise, especially in the winter.
There was a set outside but it got taken down when my dad had a 1/4 of the yard tilled up for his garden.

Most here have lines in the basement, those retractable lines with a hook on the other side of the wall to hold it. Then again, some houses still have the woodburner in the basement and the vent on the basement ceiling so the heat goes up. So if the woodburner is in the basement going in the winter, the clothes dry pretty fast. I dry in the basement in the winter, but expect it to take overnight. I also use one of those upright clothes racks that hangers hang on, and dry things that way.

This is a timely thread.....We just started hanging clothes outside again for the season, as we aren't needing fires anymore...but even at this point....I've had clothes out on the line for a week that I've been trying to dry and are still wet, it seems to rain for five minutes every six hours lately.

My daughter hangs her swimsuit out to dry in mid afternoon, and it isn't dry in time for the next days swim. It's humid in Hawaii. So she alternates swimsuits. Her wetsuits take even longer to dry. She teaches swim lessons in addition to SCUBA and free diving. She basically lives in the water.

We're 100% off grid on solar. We use a regular front load electric washer and gas dryer. Even though we're off grid I wasn't going make my wife sacrifice any comforts or conveniences for living out here.
We are too. Electric washer, propane gas dryer. I couldn't handle the hand crank ones working full time, I barely have time to throw a load in, there are other things that need to be done.

We are too. Electric washer, propane gas dryer. I couldn't handle the hand crank ones working full time, I barely have time to throw a load in, there are other things that need to be done.
You 2 are making great progress! I know there’s always plenty to do, but doesn’t it feel good to see what you’ve done? 😊

We've been on our farm 2 1/2 years, and I don't have the tiniest bit done what I've wanted to do, but everyday I do something. It's hard when it's just the two of you, or in my case, just me. But husband helps by making the phone calls, helping with planning. I still don't have everything planted in the garden...the greenhouse is full of plants still. But it is 3/4 planted, and I get out there every day, even if I just have an hour to spare. Our latest project is 3 of our bottom floor exterior (115 yr old) doors are being replaced, and you'd think it's not a big deal but it kinda is. We had to hire out since I can't do it, and the wait time was 4 months. So finally now the doors and screen doors and storm doors will be in on the 10th, so we'll drive the hour to pick them up, and cross our fingers they'll get put in soon after. Nothing is standard in the house. We moved here with the need for a bottom floor add on, and that took forever, but it is done. Animal runs are always an issue, and I have the need for a new run that I'll be building on my own for 10 turkeys (after the garden is in). That'll kick my butt, but I've done it before.

We've been on our farm 2 1/2 years, and I don't have the tiniest bit done what I've wanted to do, but everyday I do something. It's hard when it's just the two of you, or in my case, just me. But husband helps by making the phone calls, helping with planning. I still don't have everything planted in the garden...the greenhouse is full of plants still. But it is 3/4 planted, and I get out there every day, even if I just have an hour to spare. Our latest project is 3 of our bottom floor exterior (115 yr old) doors are being replaced, and you'd think it's not a big deal but it kinda is. We had to hire out since I can't do it, and the wait time was 4 months. So finally now the doors and screen doors and storm doors will be in on the 10th, so we'll drive the hour to pick them up, and cross our fingers they'll get put in soon after. Nothing is standard in the house. We moved here with the need for a bottom floor add on, and that took forever, but it is done. Animal runs are always an issue, and I have the need for a new run that I'll be building on my own for 10 turkeys (after the garden is in). That'll kick my butt, but I've done it before.
You are amazing. I can't imagine if I didn't have my husband to do most of this stuff. I've been learning from him as he is the country MT boy and I'm the city CA girl. Seriously like one of those stupid sappy Hallmark movies. Haha
But wow, you guys have been through a lot, and are truly an inspiration. I hope you are writing all this stuff down as I'm sure future generations would love to know about your lives.

Ha, you are too sweet. I don't feel like it's anything special, and I was not raised here, I was a California raised girl, too. City, even. But this is where I feel is right. The home of my great grandparents, my grandparents, and my mom. Husband tolerates it. He does prefer the city, but we've lived where he needed to be for work for the last 40 years. Retirement was my pick.

Ha, you are too sweet. I don't feel like it's anything special, and I was not raised here, I was a California raised girl, too. City, even. But this is where I feel is right. The home of my great grandparents, my grandparents, and my mom. Husband tolerates it. He does prefer the city, but we've lived where he needed to be for work for the last 40 years. Retirement was my pick.
Glad you are enjoying it! Retirement was my hubs pick, kinda. Since he is older, we made my new job work with his choice of retirement. Win/win thankfully.

Latest posts

Back